Sweet potato skillet is a healthy and delicious 30 minute vegetarian dinner recipe with avocado, beans, corn and cheese. It has a bit of a kick from taco seasoning (fajita seasoning would work too). You definitely can add some ground turkey, diced chicken or tofu.
30 minutes is more than enough for flavours to marry each other and veggies to cook in this skillet. Especially, many flavours are added after cooking.
The texture of this sweet potato skillet – very soft. The taste – fresh. Leftovers – plenty. Healthy delicious dinner in under 30 minutes. What not to like, right?!
Sweet Potato Skillet Tex Mex Style
Sweet Potato Skillet is a healthy and delicious 30 minute vegetarian dinner recipe with avocado, beans, corn and cheese.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 28 minutes
- Total Time: 38 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp coconut or avocado oil
- 2 large red bell peppers, diced
- 14 oz can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 cup corn (frozen or canned is OK)
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp cumin, divided
- 1/2 tbsp taco seasoning, divided
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 lime, juice of
- 1 cup (4 oz) Tex Mex cheese, shredded
- 2 medium avocados, diced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- Greek yogurt and salsa, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat large deep skillet on medium heat and add coconut oil, spreading with spatula. Add sweet potatoes, 1/2 tbsp cumin, 1/2 tsp salt and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add onion, garlic, bell peppers and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add black beans and corn, cook for another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add diced tomatoes, remaining cumin and salt, black pepper, taco seasoning and stir. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook covered for 15 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Squeeze lime juice on top, sprinkle with cheese and broil on high for 5 minutes or until cheese turns golden. Top with avocado, green onions and cilantro. Serve hot with Greek yogurt and salsa if desired.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
You could add some ground turkey, diced chicken breast or tofu for extra protein. Cook it in the skillet first and then proceed with the recipe.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.