Today is not a story day. Today is super awesome meatballs day! I got my new dishwasher that can even make Thai meatballs.:) In all seriousness, we have a deal: I make the meatballs and he does the dirty job. And he knows his job really well.
Meatballs don’t have to be smothered in tomato sauce, nor they have to be simmered for hours. They can have your favourite Thai flavours, be cooked in a skillet, within 30 minutes. Clean dinner can be really ready that fast.
They also do not have to contain eggs, bread or breadcrumbs. I found with Cumin Zucchini Turkey Burger & later on with Crockpot Italian Zucchini Meatloaf, that shredded zucchini makes any ground meat tender and juicy.
And a little secret, use any meat you have on hand. We cook a lot of game meat, so I used venison for this recipe. But because I realize most people are normal and do not hunt, I’m giving you an option to use turkey, beef or buffalo.
These Thai Turkey (or not) Meatballs are full of your favourite Thai flavours like curry paste, fish sauce, ginger, basil, green onions and coconut milk. Both, the sauce and the meat. And the nice thing is, they take only 30 minutes.
You don’t even need to cook the meatballs through. Just until browned on all sides.
Then you add the sauce…
Very simple sauce: coconut milk, tomato paste, curry paste and fish sauce. Add as many hot pepper flakes as you like. Kaffir lime leaves are optional, but give the sauce a nice sweet touch. You can find them dried, in any asian store.
We served the meatballs with organic short grain brown rice. You can easily get away with whole wheat spaghetti or even quinoa.
- 2 lbs ground turkey, extra lean
- 1 cup zucchini, shredded & liquid squeezed out
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/4 cup green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp basil, finely chopped
- 2 tsp ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 tsp red curry paste
- 2 tbsp coconut milk, light (canned)
- 1/8 tsp hot pepper chill flakes
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- 1 + 1/2 cup coconut milk, light (canned)
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp red curry paste
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1/8 tsp hot pepper chili flakes, or to taste
- 5-6 kaffir lime leaves (optional)
- In a medium bowl, combine ingredients for meatballs, mix with your hands thoroughly. Make 28 meatballs by spooning heaping 1 tbsp of mixture and rolling between your hands. Lay on a cutting board or plate. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Preheat large, 12" or larger, skillet on high, spray with cooking spray. Add meatballs and cook until brown, for about 2-3 minutes. No need to cook the meatballs through. Add the sauce, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes, uncovered. Serve warm with brown rice or brown rice noodles. Add garnish like fresh cilantro and green onions.
Servings Per Recipe: 28
Amount Per Serving = 1 meatball + 1-2 tsp sauce:
Total Fat: 1.3 g
Cholesterol: 12.7 mg
Sodium: 170.4 mg
Total Carbs: 1.0 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.2 g
Protein: 7.6 g
WW Points+: 1
Before you go. Judging by the # of times you guys pinned these meatballs, I figured out you like quick and healthy dinners.
It took me 3 months and I came up with 30 Quick Clean Dinner Recipes eBook.
30 practical healthy recipes that you can prepare after work, in under 40 minutes, or even better come home to a ready meal simmering in your crock pot. That was the goal. The eBook includes 20+ gluten free, 13 crock pot & 12 vegetarian recipes.
And good news, it is 20% OFF for a limited time. Visit eBook page here to learn more.