30 minute, from start to finish, healthy meatless dinner idea. Light and fluffy quinoa in a sweet Parmesan pumpkin sauce with fresh baby spinach. Even my 8 year old was licking the spoon and he is not a pumpkin and quinoa fan. Cheese always does the trick though. And Parmesan is one of my favourites because you need just a little to go a long way.
This pumpkin quinoa was so easy and delicious! I’m on a major pumpkin kick this year because I love how it adds volume to desserts with so many health benefits and flavour.
I have never made a savoury dish with pumpkin though and I love quinoa. A thought of starchy grain swimming in a starchy sauce did not appeal to me but I got hooked on a combination of pumpkin and Parmesan while browsing Cooking Light.
I also have seen many pumpkin pasta recipes around the web but I love quinoa more than pasta, naked truth. So, here we go…
It doesn’t get easier than cooking quinoa as per package instructions. Leftover quinoa is perfect for this recipe. I also try to freeze cooked quinoa in batches whenever I can.
Then saute an onion and garlic – a combo that never fails me. Add pumpkin puree and chicken stock, and simmer. Add Parmesan, then quinoa and spinach. Done – Pumpkin Quinoa. Delish and easy, right?!
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked (3 + 1/2 cups cooked quinoa)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 3 cups chicken stock, low sodium
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup (1.5 oz) Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 4 handfuls baby spinach leaves
- Cook quinoa as per package instructions and set aside.
- In the meanwhile, preheat large deep skillet on low - medium heat and add olive oil. Add onion and garlic, saute until translucent, stirring occasionally. Add pumpkin puree, chicken stock, salt, pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let the sauce simmer for 5 minutes uncovered.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese until melted. Remove from heat and add quinoa and spinach. Stir gently to combine. Adjust thickness with extra chicken stock if desired. I like my quinoa saucy and hot. Because of Parmesan cheese, liquid separation with time is normal. Just give it a good stir. Serve hot.
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Amount Per Serving = 1.5 cups:
Total Fat: 9.5 g
Cholesterol: 8.4 mg
Sodium: 811.1 mg
Total Carbs: 40.9 g
Dietary Fiber: 5.3 g
Protein: 13.7 g
WW Points+: 8