Mexican Black Bean Quinoa Casserole with corn, cheese and layers upon layers of flavours. Read amazing reviews yourself!
Delicious Quinoa Casserole
A hybrid of modern Mexican and Thai cuisines, this black bean quinoa casserole has layers upon layers of flavours that scream “fresh”.
Combining sauteed vegetables, cooked quinoa, coconut milk, cheese, cilantro and onion creates delicious Mexican quinoa casserole that really stands out from any traditional casseroles you are used to. And it’s healthy too!
As all ingredients are already cooked, you just need to put assembled casserole in the oven for everything to “marry” each other for 30 minutes.
It tastes even better the next day and is great to freeze and make ahead.
Ingredients for Black Bean Quinoa Casserole
- Quinoa: A staple in our pantry. It is great for using in casseroles because unlike brown rice it is ready in 10 minutes and offers 8 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber per 1 cup of cooked quinoa.
- Regular or low fat canned coconut milk: Instead of canned soup we use canned coconut milk to make casserole moist.
- Black beans, corn, bell pepper: A bulk of flavorful veggies and legumes for protein and fiber.
- Fresh herbs and jalapeno: Lots of cilantro, green onion and spicy pepper add flavor with little calories.
- Cheese: Gooey melted cheddar, Tex Mex or colby cheese is a must for this casserole.
How to Make Black Bean Quinoa Casserole
Detailed recipe card is below.
- Prep: Preheat oven to 350 F degrees and spray 9×13 baking dish with oil.
- Cook quinoa as per package instructions.
- Saute veggies and beans with spices: First cook garlic. Then corn, bell peppers, jalapenos and cumin.
- Combine: In a large mixing bowl, combine cooked quinoa, black beans, herbs, half the cheese, coconut milk and salt. Mix, flatten in baking dish and sprinkle with other half cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes uncovered.
- Garnish: Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cilantro and 1/4 cup green onions.
How to Store, Make Ahead and Reheat
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container or in baking dish covered with wrap for up to 3 days. Or freeze leftovers for up to 3 months.
Freeze uncooked: Assemble, tightly wrap with plastic and then foil, and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight and bake as per instructions + 15 minutes.
Make Ahead: Assemble, cover and refrigerate for up to 48 hours. Bake as per instructions.
More Healthy Casseroles
- Spinach artichoke quinoa casserole
- Healthy Mexican casserole
- Ground turkey pasta bake
- Ground turkey quinoa casserole
- Healthy chicken and rice casserole
- Chicken zucchini casserole
Black Bean Quinoa Casserole
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa dry
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 1/2 cups corn canned or frozen
- 3 large bell peppers chopped
- 1/2 medium jalapeño pepper seeded and minced
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 15 oz can of black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cilantro finely chopped and divided
- 1/2 cup green onions finely chopped and divided
- 2 cups Tex Mex cheese shredded and divided
- 3/4 cup canned coconut milk light or regular
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Cook quinoa as per package instructions and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Preheat large ceramic non-stick skillet on medium heat and swirl oil to coat. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds, stirring frequently.
- Add corn, bell peppers, jalapenos and cumin. Stir and sauté undisturbed for 3 minutes, stir again and sauté for another 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl along with cooked quinoa, black beans, 3/4 cup cilantro, 1/4 cup green onions, 1 1/2 cups cheese, coconut milk and salt.
- Mix well, transfer to 8 x 11 baking dish, sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bake for 30 minutes uncovered.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cilantro and 1/4 cup green onions. Serve warm.
- Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container or in baking dish covered with wrap for up to 3 days. Or freeze leftovers for up to 3 months.
- Freeze uncooked: Assemble, tightly wrap with plastic and then foil, and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight and bake as per instructions + 15 minutes.
- Make Ahead: Assemble, cover and refrigerate for up to 48 hours. Bake as per instructions.
- You can use about 4-5 cups of cooked (leftover) quinoa.
Recipes and images are a copyright of ifoodreal.com