These muffins are 100% whole wheat, naturally sweetened with dates, contain generous amount of apples, Fall spices and heavenly cinnamon sugar topping in every bite. Super moist, fluffy and light. Nobody would ever guess these whole wheat apple muffins are healthy!
I made four batches of these apple muffins in the last two weeks just to make sure the recipe works with both spelt and whole wheat flours. I have a huge bag of sprouted spelt flour I got from Costco and it makes delicate and fluffy baked goods. Almost like all-purpose flour => life changing.
Then I ran to the store and got some whole wheat flour to see if 100% whole wheat baked goods can be any good. In the past, I always mixed white and whole wheat flours but not from now on. These whole wheat muffins were spectacular!
I give big credit to a whole cup of my unsweetened organic applesauce. I say mine because I have this 6 feet tall apple tree in my 200 square feet backyard that produces tens of lbs of apples every year. By now, I seriously think I cooked a bathtub of applesauce and froze it in Ziploc sandwich bags. I do the same with beans too.
To incorporate the dates, you need to process them in a powerful blender or food processor along with all wet ingredients. Then gently mix with dry ingredients just enough to combine. No need to sift the whole wheat flour.
Cinnamon sugar topping is optional but you want it, especially for kids’ lunch boxes. You can use coconut palm or brown sugar.
While baking these whole wheat apple muffins my house smelled heavenly. I skipped lighting up my Bath & Body Works candle that day. Enjoy!:)
- 1 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 8 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 eggs, large
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (I also recommend spelt flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder, aluminum free
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 + 1/2 cup sweet apples, cored & finely chopped with skin on (I used Red Delicious)
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- 1 tbsp coconut palm sugar or brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray non-stick 12 muffin tin with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a food processor or a powerful blender, add Wet Ingredients and process until smooth. Mainly look for all dates to be processed. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, add Cinnamon Sugar Topping ingredients and mix. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk to combine Dry Ingredients. Add Wet Ingredients from the blender into the bowl and gently mix just enough to combine. Do not over mix otherwise muffins won't rise properly. Add chopped apples and give a few gentle stirs.
- Fill each tin 3/4 full with batter, sprinkle with Cinnamon Sugar Topping (I left some for sprinkling after baking) and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let muffins cool for about 30 minutes and transfer to a cooling rack to cool off completely.
Servings Per Recipe: 12
Amount Per Serving = 1 muffin:
Total Fat: 6.2 g
Cholesterol: 30.8 mg
Sodium: 297.1 mg
Total Carbs: 31.7 g
Sugars: 15.4 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.8 g
Protein: 4.0 g
WW Points+: 5
And before you go… In the past 5 months, I have been testing 25 of these Clean Slow Cooker Recipes. I’m still in a process of putting the recipes together in a book that will be available for sale on October 5th. In the meanwhile, you can sign up below to receive a 20% OFF coupon by email. This discount is for email subscribers only and won’t be offered on the eBook launch date.
What’s inside the eBook:
- 25 brand new recipes that have never appeared on iFOODreal before
- 20+ gluten free recipes
- Easy, kid frienldy recipes with nutritional info including WW Points+
- Lots of chicken and quinoa + more healthy comfort food like Parmesan Chicken Meatballs, my mom’s Ukrainian Borscht and Kale Artichoke Lasagna and so much more. Would you be surprised to hear that you can make a Philly Cheesesteak in a slow cooker too?!
To sign up, just enter your Name and Email below and you will receive 20% OFF code on eBook’s launch date – Oct 5th. Thank you so much for supporting my blog!!!