This baked oatmeal in a form of convenient pre-portioned grab and go breakfast is made with applesauce, banana, no sugar and no flour. Easy, delicious and the best breakfast on the go. I guarantee you have all ingredients on hand to make these healthy oatmeal muffins right now.
I made 2 versions: one with mashed bananas (just yellow ripe ones, no need to wait for them to turn brown) and another one with unsweetened applesauce. Both super delicious!
As expected, my kids couldn’t stop eating these oatmeal muffins. I swear, my kids will eat almost anything in a muffin form. I’m sure you can relate. These muffins are really just your usual morning oatmeal. That is what I wanted – no added sugar, just what I would add to a bowl of oatmeal. I just wanted the convenience. Especially with the school start (thank you, heavens!) and cooler weather (thank you, heavens again!), I can bake and think straight again.
Oh, and these are similar, just without protein powder, to my banana oat protein muffins.
And I will share my applesauce secret. I never buy it and probably save about $300 a year. I have this tiny apple tree that produces gazillion of apples but many of them get worms before ripening. So, this year we made half into applesauce and half froze for smoothies (that was my new “aha” moment). So, to make applesauce I cut apples (no peeling necessary), remove core, add to a big pot, add half water and cook until soft, about 45-60 minutes. Then cool down, blend and pack in 1 cup portions into BPA free snack bags. Freeze. That is it. Easy peasy.
Kids asked for some applesauce without the skins to eat now and they do not like it blended too much. So, I just put some in a strainer over a bowl and stirred with a laddle as it was separating from the skins. Again, easy peasy.
I hope you enjoy these super easy and healthy oatmeal muffins! To die for, especially the apple one as it is Fall time now.Print
Healthy Oatmeal Muffins
Healthy Oatmeal Muffins Recipe with applesauce, banana, no sugar and no flour. Easy, delicious and the best breakfast on the go.
- Prep Time: 8 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 28 minutes
- Yield: 12 muffins
- 2 medium-large ripe bananas, mashed*
- 1 1/4 cups any milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 2 tbsp avocado or coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 cups old fashioned or quick rolled oats (use GF if necessary)
- Pecans or apple/pear slices, for garnish (optional)
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line muffin tin with liners or use silicone muffin tin. Spray with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, add bananas (applesauce + maple syrup), milk, coconut oil, vanilla, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; whisk well to combine. Add oats and stir to mix. Do not over mix.
- Using large ice cream scoop, fill 12 openings with batter and garnish with pecans or apple slices, if desired. Bake banana version for 20 minutes and applesauce one for 23 minutes. Remove from the oven and let muffins cool for 10 minutes. Enjoy hot or cold.
Store: Store in a glass airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 3 – 4 days, in a fridge for up to a week or in a freezer for up to 3 months.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.