I need your help! If you have a blog can you please check this out and I will pay you back with a gift?! Thank you!
I realized I do not have a simple clean eating banana muffins recipe on iFOODreal. A healthy whole grain muffin that is moist, bursting with banana flavour and without a dome. It has to be flat on top – means it’s moist. It freezes beautifully and is perfect for school lunches. Our family likes banana muffins plain but you can add nuts or chocolate chips.
Just before Christmas I grabbed a bag of ripe organic bananas at 30% off at Real Canadian Superstore. Does your grocery store practice the same?! Not all of mine do. Believe it or not we used up all bananas without freezing. I tested this banana muffins recipe 3 times because I was after a particular banana muffin taste and look – I wanted that grooved top and for that your batter has to be liquidy.
I got these eggs during my Friday morning run. No, I wasn’t running with eggs, I drove there after my run.:) It is a little farm, with a fridge on a porch and self serve eggs. Life in suburbs has its benefits.
The morning was crisp, the views were breathtaking, my music sucked but the earphones rocked – it was my Christmas present and they haven’t moved an inch during my 7K run. I’m not a fan of little dinky kinky plugs in my ears. I miss freedom in my life ever since having kids and an hour of fresh air in the mountains makes me feel free again. Luckily, mountains are in my backyard.
Anyways, enjoy these clean eating banana muffins! I had one after the run.
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cup (3 large) very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or raw honey
- 3 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder, aluminum free
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and spray non-stick 12 muffin tin with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, lightly beat the egg. Add bananas and mash well. Add remaining ingredients, except flour, and whisk to combine. Now add flour and gently stir until well incorporated. Do not over mix otherwise muffins will be tough.
- Fill each tin almost full with batter (I used regular ice cream scoop) and bake for 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let muffins cool for about 5 minutes and transfer to a cooling rack to cool off completely.
Servings Per Recipe: 12
Amount Per Serving = 1 muffin:
Total Fat: 4.2 g
Cholesterol: 15.5 mg
Sodium: 200.6 mg
Total Carbs: 21.9 g
Sugars: 8.4 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.5 g
Protein: 2.6 g
WW Points+: 3