Balsamic grilled vegetables have authentic Italian flavours – olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic and parsley/basil. Very similar to Ukrainian traditional flavours of dill and garlic, minus the balsamic vinegar. Commonly used in Ukrainian cooking oil is unrefined sunflower oil, similar in taste to a sesame oil, just not as concentrated. In this recipe, olive oil plays a role mainly of a moisturizer and balsamic vinegar adds a nice punch of flavour.
My choice of vegetables were zucchini, bell peppers and white onion. White/brown mushrooms, Portobellos, eggplant or asparagus would be great as well. Any firm spring/summer vegetable, just not cucumbers or cabbage. Balsamic infused marinade makes this dish special – the longer vegetables marinate, the more flavourful they become.
Balsamic grilled vegetables can be served hot off the grill, at a room temperature or cold from the refrigerator. They taste delicious in any way! I have to be honest again, my kids did not appreciate this dish, so I served them baby potatoes, grilled lemon rosemary chicken and sliced fresh cucumbers and tomatoes. That’s what I ate a lot as a kid in summer. Nobody was cooking any fancy salads for me.
Enjoy and if you are looking for more summer vegetable grilling ideas check out these recipes:
Grilled cherry tomatoes with maple syrup, basil and Tabasco
Grilled zucchini with lime and basil
Grilled cauliflower with smoked paprikaPrint
Balsamic Grilled Vegetables
- 1 lb zucchini, cut in half lengthwise & in 1/2 inch thick slices
- 1 lb bell peppers, cut into wide strips
- 1 large red or white onion, cut into 1/2 inch thick rounds
- 1/3 cup Italian parsley or basil, chopped
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- 2 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together Balsamic Dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Preheat grill on low and spray with cooking spray. Place vegetables in a single layer on the grill, close the lid and cook for 12 minutes, flipping once.* Vegetables should be tender to the touch, with nice grill marks. Cook longer if you like softer vegetables.
- Transfer vegetables to a large bowl, pour Balsamic Dressing on top, sprinkle with parsley/basil and gently mix. Serve hot, warm or cold. Vegetables taste even better the next day as the flavours continue to “marry” each other.
Storage Instructions: Refrigerate covered for up to 3 – 4 days.
Grills vary. Cooking time will vary depending on the age and make/model of your grill. I have new Coleman BBQ which is quite powerful if I compare it to my old grill. Use your judgement and experience with your grill.
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Amount Per Serving = 1 cup:
Total Fat: 7.5 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 590.7 mg
Total Carbs: 9.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.1 g
Protein: 3.8 g
WW Points+: 3