Well, today is Friday and perfect burger time! Juicy chicken burger with mashed avocado and homemade sweet with heat mustard sauce. If you are not Canadian you might not know this sauce. No, it is not the sweet heat BBQ sauce I found in Google. I do not think there is anything like this in the US or is there?!
Sweet with heat mustard is basically a combo of yellow mustard, red bell pepper, honey and red pepper flakes. So, it is sweet with heat. Pairs extremely well with sweet and tender chicken patty and pickles.
After having a chicken burger past weekend, I couldn’t get chicken burger recipe idea out of my mind. My way though. With ground chicken patty and not grilled breast, with mashed and not sliced avocado and a sauce with a kick. The one that kicks your tastebuds in their butts!
The mustard sauce came out pretty mild and when used with other ingredients – my 9 year old had no problem eating spoonfuls of it. Mild but super flavourful without added preservatives and chemicals.
The recipe for a chicken patty comes from my grandma. Just the one I posted before. Blendtec did a great job grinding chicken breasts. I was sceptical but it worked. Furthermore, I ground also the binding and flavour ingredients which made making chicken patties a breeze.
Since my frozen pack of chicken breasts was about 4 lbs, I doubled the recipe. I did not need 20 burgers of course. So, I made about 4 burgers and the rest went into smaller chicken patties. They refrigerate well for days and freeze even better. I’m all in for working in batches which saves time and clean up. When short on time I quickly cook quinoa, chop up veggies and serve with chicken patties. Voila, dinner is served.
Cooking chicken patty takes about 4-5 minutes per side. In the meanwhile you can get the burger assembly ready. You can do what I did or use your favourite fixings.
Enjoy this juiciest and most flavourful chicken burger recipe! My 9 year old said it tastes like a restaurant meal. I think it means I cook a lot of casseroles and soups.:)
And Happy Mother’s Day to all of us mothers out there! We are fearless, with big hearts and ready for many sacrifices when it comes to our children. Being a mother is the toughest job in the world. Next is being a wife!:) I hope you spend your day the way you wish which is realistically impossible because we have no days off. Anyways, take the most out of it despite whining and complaining, if you can.
I do not know exactly what I will be doing on Sunday yet but I see it more of me not cooking breakfast. I originally wanted all of us setting off on a long bike ride along the ocean and having dinner somewhere nice in WA. But having 2 hockey games early AM it won’t happen as Kyle won’t be able to pull it off physically. See, I told ya! 😉 But whatever. We decided to stay on our patio and play board games, go out for dinner and watch sunset on the river. As long as I don’t have to cook it will be an awesome Mother’s Day!
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, boneless, skinless & cubed
- 1 egg, large
- 1/2 small onion, cut in chunks
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 slice of sprouted whole grain bread (use gluten free if necessary)
- 1/2 tsp himalayan pink salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Coconut or avocado oil, for frying
- Sweet with Heat Mustard
- Whole wheat buns
- Lettuce leaves
- Avocado, mashed (flavour with lime juice, salt etc. if you wish)
- Red onion rings
- Tomato slices
- Sliced pickles
- In a food processor or high speed blender, add chicken and process until ground. Work in batches and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Again in a blender, add egg, onion and garlic. Quickly soak bread in water, squeeze well and add to the blender along with salt and pepper. Process until well combined and add to the bowl with chicken meat. Using your hands, mix well.
- Preheat large ceramic non-stick skillet on medium heat and swirl some oil to coat. Form meat patties the size of your burger bun and panfry for about 4-5 minutes per side. It is time to flip when white edges appear and patty is brown on the bottom. Please note the second and third batch will take less time to cook as the skillet will be hotter.
- Here is how I build the burger: bottom bun, sweet with heat mustard, pickles, chicken patty, avocado, lettuce, red onion, sweet with heat mustard, top bun. Sky is the limit.
I am not including nutritional info since it would vary greatly with a kind of bun and fixings you choose for your chicken burger.