30 minute Ground Chicken Tacos cooked with vegetables and all the fixins in one skillet for a healthy taco family meal. Perfect for busy weeknights and kids absolutely love these chicken tacos!
These ground chicken tacos is the most easy taco recipe I have ever made. Besides Instant Pot chicken tacos where I throw in all the fixings in the pot at the end. 🙂
What can I say, I love tacos but I don’t love to prepare all toppings and putting them in different bowls. Then wrapping up leftovers blah-blah-blah. For once, I made Taco Tuesday a real thing within half an hour.
To make the taco filling healthy, I used only 1 lb of ground chicken breast and loaded it with over 1 lb of veggies. Using ground meat makes these chicken tacos super quick. And the best part is – there aren’t much extra toppings to prepare because they are all mixed in one humongous size skillet.
How to Make Chicken Tacos
- Start by sautéing the vegetables: garlic, onion and bell peppers. It has proven to be a winning combination with chicken => baked chicken with peppers + onions + mushrooms + cheese.
- Then I add only two but rather flavourful spices: taco seasoning and smoked paprika. Frying them in oil is a quick way to deepen their flavour. Ground chicken cooks really fast – just make sure to break it into pieces with spatula.
- Add corn: canned, fresh or frozen corn for more “veggie factor”, sweetness and extra crunch.
- Add low sodium tomato sauce to “marry” taco filling together and to add “sauciness” factor because let’s be honest – chicken can be dry, especially chicken breast. Not in my ground chicken tacos though.
- Add radishes to strengthen the “veggie factor” and probably “sauciness” too. I picked up a bunch of a milder radish variety at the farmers market, can’t remember the name though. You can use less or let everyone add at the table. Radishes add extra crunch and zest to tacos.
Tips and Servings Chicken Tacos
- Use ground turkey if you do not have ground chicken.
- Skip radishes or use shredded jicama or turnip instead.
- Low sodium canned tomato sauce and taco seasoning makes more healthy chicken tacos.
- To make low carb taco bowls, skip tortillas.
- If you have gas stove, warm up tortilla right on the burner to char the edges. Yum!
These are the toppings you can use for tacos, some are ambitious. 🙂
- Greek yogurt (healthier) or sour cream.
- Shredded cheese.
- Diced avocado or creamy guacamole, or salsa guacamole kills 2 birds at once. 🙂
- Salsa or pico de gallo (ambitious). 🙂
How to Make Ahead and Store Leftovers
Welcome to my food blogger’s life – cooking dinner at lunch time Monday – Friday.
For serving cooked tacos later, I placed taco filling in small slow cooker and turned on “keep warm”. The only fixins I had to prepare were limes, crumbled feta cheese and Greek yogurt.
We used Food for Life organic corn tortillas which fell apart on a first bite for kids, and on a second one for adults. Taco salad it was, delicious nonetheless. Or make a chicken taco bowl.
To make ahead and cook later, you can chop garlic, onion and bell pepper and refrigerate for up to 3 days. You can also slice radishes. That is when meal prep containers with 2 sections come in handy. 🙂 Then just cook when ready. makes a weeknight healthy dinner a breeze.
Refrigerate leftovers for up to 5 days in an airtight container. Since filling is saucy and radishes are sturdy, there is not much to get soggy in this chicken taco filling. Reheat on a skillet with a splash of water on low heat. That’s it!
These ground chicken tacos by far is my fastest and easiest taco recipe. Enjoy and be healthy!
More Taco Recipes
- Carne asada tacos – simple and flavorful marinated grilled steak in tacos.
- Ground turkey tacos are saucy and no dry turkey here.
- Fish tacos – better than any food truck.
- Buffalo chicken tacos – this combo just works!
- Shrimp tacos in 15 minutes with store bought slaw mix.
- Kale tacos using farmer’s market bounty or your begging veggie drawers.
And may I suggest homemade kombucha to go with tacos? Any time of the year!
Ground Chicken Tacos
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 large bell peppers finely chopped
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 lb ground chicken I used breast
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 cup low sodium tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn thawed or 1 can (drained)
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 bunch radishes sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- Organic corn tortillas
- Lime cheese and Greek yogurt, for serving
- Preheat large ceramic non-stick skillet on medium heat and swirl oil to coat. Add garlic and onion, sauté for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add bell pepper and sauté for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken, taco seasoning, smoked paprika and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally and breaking chicken into pieces.
- Decrease heat to low, add tomato sauce and corn, and cook uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Add cilantro, radishes and salt; stir.
- Serve hot over corn tortillas with lime, crumbled feta or shredded Monterey Jack cheese and Greek yogurt.
- For serving cooked tacos later, I placed taco filling in small slow cooker and turned on "keep warm". The only fixins I had to prepare were limes, crumbled feta cheese and Greek yogurt.
- To make ahead and cook later, you can chop garlic, onion and bell pepper and refrigerate for up to 3 days. You can also slice radishes. That is when meal prep containers with 2 sections come in handy. 🙂 Then just cook when ready. makes a weeknight healthy dinner a breeze.
- Refrigerate leftovers for up to 5 days in an airtight container. Since filling is saucy and radishes are sturdy, there is not much to get soggy in this chicken taco filling. Reheat on a skillet with a splash of water on low heat. That's it!
Recipes and images are a copyright of ifoodreal.com. It is against the law to republish recipes anywhere including social media, print and all world wide web. Nutritional info is provided for informational purposes only and to the best knowledge.