Ground Chicken Tacos
These ground chicken tacos are the most simple healthy taco recipe I have made yet. To make the taco filling healthy, I used only 1 lb of ground chicken breast and loaded it with over 1 lb of veggies. And the best part is – there aren’t much extra fixins to prepare because they are all mixed in one humongous size skillet.
For once, I made Taco Tuesday a real thing within half an hour.
Tips for Best Tacos:
- Use ground turkey if you do not have ground chicken.
- Skip radishes or use shredded jicama or turnip instead.
- Low sodium canned tomato sauce and taco seasoning makes more healthy chicken tacos.
- To make low carb taco bowls, skip tortillas.
- If you have gas stove, warm up tortilla right on the burner to char the edges. Yum!
How to Make Healthy Chicken Tacos
- To make chicken tacos more sustainable, I started by sautéing vegetables: garlic, onions and bell peppers. It has proven to be a winning combination with chicken => baked chicken with peppers, onions, mushrooms and cheese.
- Then I added only two but rather flavourful spices: organic taco seasoning and smoked paprika. Frying them in oil is a quick way to deepen their flavour. Ground chicken cooks really fast – just make sure to break it into pieces with spatula.
- Canned, fresh or frozen corn for more “veggie factor”, sweetness and extra crunch. Tomato sauce to “marry” taco filling together and to add “sauciness” factor because let’s be honest – chicken can be dry, especially chicken breast. Not in my ground chicken tacos though.
- Radishes to strengthen the “veggie factor” and probably “sauciness” too. I picked up a bunch of a milder radish variety at the farmers market, can’t remember the name though. You can use less or let everyone add at the table. Radishes add extra crunch and zest to tacos.
Can I Make Chicken Tacos Ahead?
Yes. Welcome to my food blogger’s life – cook dinner at lunch time.
For serving later, I placed taco filling in small slow cooker and turned on “keep warm”. The only fixins I had to prepare were limes, crumbled feta cheese and Greek yogurt. We used Food for Life organic corn tortillas which fell apart on a first bite for kids, and on a second one for adults.
Taco salad it was, delicious nonetheless. Or make a chicken taco bowl.
These ground chicken tacos by far is my fastest and easiest taco recipe.
Enjoy and eat healthy!
More Healthy Taco Recipes:
- Instant Pot shredded chicken tacos – mixed in one pot with fix ins.
- Buffalo chicken tacos – this combo just works!
- Easy shrimp tacos in 15 minutes with store bought slaw mix.
- Kale tacos using farmer’s market bounty or your begging veggie drawers.
And may I suggest best homemade kombucha to go with tacos? Any time of the year!
Healthy Ground Chicken Tacos
30 Minute Ground Chicken Tacos Recipe loaded with vegetables and all fixins in one skillet for a healthy taco family meal.
- Prep Time: 8 minutes
- Cook Time: 24 minutes
- Total Time: 32 minutes
- Yield: 10 tacos 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 large bell peppers, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 lb ground chicken (I used breast)
- 1 tbsp organic taco seasoning
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 cup low sodium tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn (thawed) or 1 can (drained)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 bunch radishes, sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- Organic corn tortillas
- Lime, cheese and Greek yogurt, for serving
- Preheat large ceramic non-stick skillet on medium heat and swirl oil to coat. Add garlic and onion, sauté for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add bell pepper and sauté for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken, taco seasoning, smoked paprika and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally and breaking chicken into pieces. Decrease heat to low, add tomato sauce and corn, and cook uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Add cilantro, radishes and salt; stir. Serve hot over corn tortillas with lime, crumbled feta or shredded Monterey Jack cheese and Greek yogurt.
Store: Refrigerate taco filling in an airtight container for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.