Soft and moist little breads made 100% whole wheat, sweetened only with dates (except maple syrup in topping and filling – that’s an FYI for my PD commenters), filled with scrumptious organic cream cheese and topped with out of this world cinnamon pepita crumb topping. And of course, pumpkin in every bite with a bit of cream cheese.
These whole wheat pumpkin muffins have a spot on amount of pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice and cream cheese. Delicious!
My kids are super picky with sweets, any kind. I probably said that many times. I thought cream cheese muffins would be more appealing to them. I was right, cream cheese sold the muffins but I didn’t hear a “wow”. On the other hand, me and Alex couldn’t stop…
That cream cheese…
So creamy. I always buy organic cream cheese, full or low fat I don’t care. I don’t eat it ever except in these whole wheat pumpkin muffins. This Olympic brand is super creamy and it’s pretty cheap too, like $4.
I used it for the filling mixed with a few tbsp of maple syrup.
Whenever I bake with pumpkin puree, applesauce or bananas, I know I won’t need to add much oil if any. So, I skipped the oil completely in this recipe knowing I will be using pumpkin puree and cream cheese. It’s about balance for me, so oil had to go. No regrets.
The cream cheese ends up being 1 tbsp per muffin. All you have to do is just make a small well in the muffin batter and drop a dollop of cream cheese on top. As it bakes, it will sink in a bit. And don’t worry, it won’t curdle or bake. It still will be creamy.
I can’t believe how delicate and fluffy these pumpkin cream cheese muffins were. If you think you can’t use only whole wheat flour in baking, that is not the case. At least not with quick breads. Ever since I made Whole Wheat Apple Spice Muffins, 100% spelt or whole wheat flour it is for me. More nutrients, more fiber, more muffins I can eat.:)
And sweetening with dates is a different story. You just need to pulse them in a blender with other wet ingredients. Again, more fiber, slower digestion, better than honey and maple syrup. I even managed to sneak the dates into dark chocolate bars and they turned out insanely good. OMG good.
Trust me, white flour and sugar are so 2013. Clean eating is so simple. I just don’t get it why whole food baked goods are not widely available in restaurants and coffee shops?! Have you seen that pumpkin pie at Costco?! Who can eat that much sugar and cr@p? Like why on Earth would you do that???!!! I’m sure if Starbucks and other grocery stores sold wholesome desserts people would buy them. Drives me crazy this white sugar addiction of our century! Rant over.
Enjoy these healthy whole wheat pumpkin muffins at home without any guilt!
- 1 + 1/4 cups pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/2 cup almond milk, unsweetened (any milk works)
- 1/2 cup egg whites or 2 large eggs
- 9 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (I also recommend spelt flour)
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tsp baking powder, aluminum free
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup cream cheese, organic (low fat if you wish)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp quick or rolled oats
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray non-stick 12 muffin tin with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a food processor or a powerful blender, add Wet Ingredients and process until smooth. Mainly look for all dates to be processed. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, add Filling ingredients and mix well. Set aside.
- In another small mixing bowl, add Cinnamon Pepita Topping ingredients and mix with a fork until well combined. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk to combine Dry Ingredients. Add Wet Ingredients from the blender into the bowl and gently mix just enough to combine. Do not over mix otherwise muffins won't rise properly. Fill each tin almost full with batter (I used regular ice cream scoop), make a small well with a fork, add a small dollop of Filling (I used small cookie dough scoop & it's fine if cream cheese is sitting on top of the batter), sprinkle with Cinnamon Pepita Topping and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let muffins cool for about 5 minutes and transfer to a cooling rack to cool off completely.
Servings Per Recipe: 12
Amount Per Serving = 1 muffin:
Total Fat: 7.3 g
Cholesterol: 17.5 mg
Sodium: 371.9 mg
Total Carbs: 36.7 g
Sugars: 17 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.7 g
Protein: 5.3 g
WW Points+: 6