Carne Asada Tacos with juicy and flavorful grilled steak, guacamole, white onions and crumbled feta or cotija cheese. Clean, crispy and easy to make at home Mexican street tacos.
Carne Asada Street Tacos
We love all tacos but carne asada tacos have a special place. They contain the most flavorful juicy steak and are loaded with fresh crisp toppings.
This carne asada recipe is foolproof. I hold myself to high standards when it comes to marinating meat. I went for a bold marinade of garlic-y and herb-y with a balance of spice and acid flavors. Then quickly seared on high heat on outdoor grill or cast iron grill pan on the stove.
I made sure steak flavors really shine when wrapped in warm tortilla, topped with crispy white onions, creamy guacamole and a squeeze of tangy lime juice.
These Mexican street tacos will remind you of Mexico a lot! A real deal, pinky promise.
Ingredients for Carne Asada Tacos
- Carne asada: 3 lbs flank or skirt steak marinated in simple but extremely flavorful marinade with soy sauce, lime juice, garlic, cilantro, jalapeno and spices. You can find recipe here.
- Tortillas: I personally prefer corn tortillas for authentic Mexican tacos. Flour tortillas work just as well and that’s what my boys like because they don’t fall apart.
- Toppings: Carne asada tacos toppings are simple – white onion, cotija or feta cheese, cilantro, avocado or guacamole. Any fresh salsa will be great too. Please see below suggestions.
How to Make Carne Asada Tacos
- Marinate meat: You will have to plan ahead at least 4 hours. Overnight or up to 24 hours is great as well but not longer because acid will start “cooking” the steak. I tried both marianting times and both steaks were to die for flavorful!
- Prep toppings: It is a good practice to have toppings ready when meat is ready. Steak is best served immediately while warm.
- Grill steak: Grill steak on high temperature and quickly, about 5 minutes per side. On the grill outdoors or on a grill pan on the stove. You want meat to be pink inside, so medium rare. Don’t forget to let it rest.
- Assemble tacos: Cut steak against the grain and then dice into small cubes, if you wish. When using guacamole, I like to smear it generously on tortilla, then place meat and sprinkle with white onion, cilantro and cheese.
Serving and Reheating Tacos
Carne asada tacos are “clean” tacos with crispy fresh ingredients. No sauce or jarred salsa, traditionally. Besides simple toppings, here is what I recommend to make:
- Guacamole – this is super easy recipe the way we like.
- Pico de gallo is fresh crisp salsa that will go so well with grilled steak.
- Side dish: If watching calories, I recommend my low carb Mexican cauliflower rice or more traditional choice would be Instant Pot refried beans.
To warm up tortillas: On well preheated cast iron skillet or gas stove burner (yes, directly on fire), cook tortilla until charred on the sides, about 30 seconds per side.
To reheat leftover meat: Pan fry in a hot skillet for about 3-5 minutes, stirring once or twice. You want to get that char on because it’s so good. And you won’t need any oil for frying since steak is quite fatty.
More Taco Recipes
Carne Asada Tacos
Carne Asada Tacos with juicy and flavorful grilled steak, guacamole, white onions and crumbled feta cheese. Clean, crispy and easy to make at home Mexican street tacos.
- Prep Time: 5 hours
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 5 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 12-16 tacos 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Grilling or Stove
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Make carne asada following the recipe. You will need to plan ahead at least 4 hours.
- Prep toppings – chop veggies and crumble cheese.
- Warm up tortillas by placing on well preheated cast iron skillet or gas burner and cook for 20-30 seconds per side. Keep warm on a plate under the towel.
- Let steak rest and then cut into thin slices or small cubes.
- To assemble tacos, I like to smear guacamole on tortilla, then add meat, toppings and finish off with a squeeze of lime. Serve immediately.
Store: Refrigerate leftover meat in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.