Parmesan Mushroom Appetizers with only 2 ingredients and ready in 15 minutes is such an easy appetizer!
Table of contents
With all the holidays, potlucks and game days that take place in fall-winter, these juicy mushroom appetizers are a kitchen time saver.
I have a more labor intensive stuffed mushrooms recipe but this dish requires only 2 ingredients and 15 minutes of my time! It’s become my new go to horderves recipe for Holiday parties when I need something fast!
Even better, you can make stuffed mushroom caps ahead of time and bake right before serving.
Cheesy, tender and with a robust flavor, these parmesan mushrooms are irresistible and will make a mushroom lover out of anyone! They were even featured on Fox News!
Why Make This Recipe
- Simple: 2 ingredients and only 15 minutes, doesn’t get easier than that.
- Easy side dish: Perfect for serving with any ‘beefy’ recipe like Instant Pot pot roast or sirloin tip roast.
- Make ahead: Save even more time by making them ahead of time and baking later.
- Travels well: Retains shape and taste even after baking.
Ingredients You Will Need
This quick and easy appetizer recipe needs only 4 simple ingredients. But really it is 2 main ingredients.
- Brown mushrooms: Also known as baby bella mushrooms, cremini mushrooms or baby portobello mushrooms. I recommend paying a tiny bit more for brown mushrooms as they are more flavorful than white mushrooms.
- Cheese: Freshly grated parmesan adds a sharp, complex savory taste to mushroom appetizers. No shakers with cellulose, please. This cheese is flavorful and a little goes a long way. I like to buy a chunk at Costco, grate what I need and freeze.
- Salt and ground black pepper: To season and taste.
How to Make Mushroom Appetizers
Here is a quick rundown how to make these super easy mushroom appetizers. There is full recipe card below.
- Prep mushrooms: Rinse mushrooms with running cold water. Or you can also fill sink with cold water, add mushrooms, soak them for 10 minutes and then scrub clean. Pat dry, if desired. Alternately, if your mushrooms are relatively clean, you could opt to wipe with a damp paper towel.
- Remove stems: Remove each stem from the cap by simply pushing it to the side. Save chopped mushrooms stems to make chicken wild rice soup.
- Stuff the caps: On a large baking sheet, place mushroom caps tightly packed and touching in a single layer. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Then top with Parmesan, concentrating on adding plenty of cheese into the cavities.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until mushrooms are golden brown on the outside and cheese has melted. Serve hot.
Tips for Best Results
- Bake at high heat: 450 degrees F is the perfect temperature for roasting your parmesan mushrooms, so they are tender and juicy!
- Mushrooms size: Pick medium to large brown mushrooms for easier stuffing.
- Extra dirty mushrooms: Fill sink with cold water, add mushrooms and soak for 10 minutes. Then scrub well with a brush. I find mushrooms do not soak water if you don’t leave them in it for a day.
- Parchment paper is OK: It can smoke a bit but doesn’t burn. I do not generally use one for this recipe but you can.
- Parmesan crisps: It’s okay to overfill your mushrooms, the bits of parmesan around the bottom of the mushrooms will make a delicious parmesan crisp!
- Portobello mushroom caps: Especially great if using these as a meatless main dish!
- Vegetarian starter: Use a vegetarian friendly Parmesan that can be grated like Violife.
- Forget to grab parmesan? Use freshly grated mozzarella cheese, gruyere cheese or smoked gouda!
- Extra flavors: After baking, sprinkle with additional black pepper or red pepper flakes.
- Garlic: Toss grated parmesan with garlic powder for additional savory taste. For an extra savory mixture, you could melt a small amount of butter, then mix with cheese and garlic, and proceed with stuffing mushrooms.
- Other dried herbs: Change up the mushroom flavor profile by sprinkling with Italian seasoning, oregano or herbs de Provence.
- Sprinkle with fresh herbs: After removing from oven, garnish with chopped fresh thyme, fresh parsley or basil. Chives would also add a nice flavor plus pop of color!
- Bread crumbs: Not as low in carbohydrates, but panko breadcrumbs mixed with the parmesan will add an extra crispy topping!
Serve as finger food or with toothpicks for easy snacking at your next party. Other than a party appetizer, try these easy mushroom appetizers in the following ways:
- As a veggie side dish: Any time of the week serve with brown rice or quinoa.
- Holiday side dish: With other favorite sides like pan roasted butternut squash, green bean casserole and mashed potatoes.
- Pizza night: Serve along with a slice of healthy almond flour crust pizza or include leftovers as a topping, yum!
How to Store and Make Ahead
Store: Leftovers can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days. I do not recommend storing these in freezer, it will diminish taste and texture.
Make ahead: Prep steps 1-4, tightly wrap baking sheet with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
When ready to serve, if using ceramic baking dish make sure to warm it up on the counter for 30 minutes to avoid shattering and then cook by following Step 5.
Yes. Cooked sausage could be stuffed inside the mushrooms first, then topped with parmesan if desired. This will be a bit more work, but will result in a delicious appetizer.
Yes. You will want to add a little bit of olive oil or butter to a skillet. When it has melted, add your parmesan stuffed mushrooms, cover with a lid or aluminum foil, and cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes until mushrooms are tender.
You can save and make vegetable soup with mushroom stems.
More Mushroom Recipes to Try
More Easy Appetizers to Try
Parmesan Mushroom Appetizers
- 1 1/2 lbs brown mushrooms
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. While oven is preheating, wash mushrooms with cold water well, drain and place in a bowl.
- To remove stems, using your hands just pop it off the cap and use in other dishes.
- On a large baking sheet, place mushroom caps tightly packed and touching. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Top with Parmesan cheese, concentrating on filling up the cavities.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until mushrooms are golden on the outside and cheese has melted. Serve hot.
- Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Make ahead: Do Step 1-4, tightly wrap baking sheet with plastic and refrigerate for up to 2 days. When ready to serve, if using ceramic baking dish make sure to warm it up on the counter for 30 minutes (to avoid shattering) and then bake by following Step 5.
- White mushrooms? You can use white mushrooms however baby bella (brown) mushrooms are more flavorful.
- Mushrooms size: Pick medium to large mushrooms for easier stuffing with Parmesan cheese.
- Parmesan cheese: It is best to buy a hunk of Parmigiano Reggiano and grate yourself. It is fresh, tastes the best and doesn’t contain cellulose like shaker one.
I just made these as a side dish with a quick grilled meal. My hubby walked by the stove top as I took them out of the oven and I saw his eyebrows raise and I hear him softly say “fancy”. Ha! They were so easy and he and both enjoyed them. Thank you for sharing. We will be having again soon.
I am so happy to hear this, Tania!
Love these! Great with steak. Nice substitute for potatoes if you’re doing low carb.
So glad you enjoyed them Claudia!
Can you make these in a throwaway aluminum pan
Sounds too easy but do NOT underestimate these!! Delicious!!
hahaha thanks Misty!
I can’t wait to try this. Thank you for the free recipes and nice job on your website, I love the “happiness” software.
Thanks so much Becky! Please don’t hesitate to let me know how you like the recipe 🙂
Great recipe, too many ads on blog!
I am glad you enjoyed my free recipe, Lynne! Ads are why you are able to enjoy our delicious recipes for free. They cover the cost of 4 people to run this website, food, hours of testing and web hosting that costs hundred of $s a month. Not to mention tens and tens other expenses a website like ifoodreal has to incur. I hope you keep enjoying food made with love and good for you that si free of charge. 🙂
Can you give more specifics on the nutritional info? It shows “serves 10” and 56 calories. Any idea how many mushrooms that is per person?
Hi Jackie. It would be hard because mushrooms come in different sizes. The best way after baking divide your mushrooms in 10 sections right on baking sheet, then you would know.
It’s a great idea for my Christmas supper! Will work with my turkey and salad. Thanks s o much,
Happy Christmas to you Olena!
Delicious! Made them for the Superbowl and they were gone in minutes.
Ooh, love gooey cheesy mushrooms! Delish 🙂
Haha, who doesn’t, right?! I assume they are not vegetarian though (but you are) or I have heard there is vegetarian kind of Parmesan cheese.
I can’t wait to try these! Love your recipes and was looking for a mushroom appetizer to include for a holiday party. If I were to add panko breadcrumbs, what ration to Parmesan cheese would you recommend?
You could mix about 1/4 cup with the parmesan or just sprinkle some on top of each after you ‘stuff’ them with the parmesan.