This Chicken and Mushrooms Recipe is a 30 minute dinner recipe that is easy, low carb and so flavorful! Serve on its own or with your favorite side dish.
Other reader favorite chicken and vegetables recipes are this chicken and zucchini and chicken and peppers. You gotta try to believe!
Recipes that are cooked in one skillet with simple ingredients like this chicken mushroom recipe are the most popular here on iFoodReal. And I get it! It is a healthy, flavorful dinner with minimum effort.
The flavors of this chicken and mushrooms dish will have everyone going for seconds, even kids! Seared baby bellas with onion in butter combined with browned pieces of chicken breast, you will be getting rave reviews from everyone! And it’s ready in less than 30 minutes!
Ingredients for Chicken Mushroom Recipe
To make this amazing tender chicken and mushrooms recipe you will need just a few simple ingredients. The list might seem long but trust me, most of them are pantry staples, and then just chicken and few veggies and herbs. So easy!
- Fresh chicken breasts: Boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs. I cut them up into 2 inch pieces, so chicken cooks quickly and evenly.
- Fresh mushrooms: Brown mushrooms or also known as cremini mushrooms or baby bellas are the most flavorful mushrooms. White mushrooms will work if that’s all you have on hand.
- Onion and garlic: Yellow onion or white onion. I use grated garlic clove added at the end for the maximum flavor.
- Olive oil and butter: Oil is used for sauteing chicken. Any mild oil like avocado oil or grapeseed oil works. Onion and mushrooms sauteed in butter come out extra flavorful, don’t skip.
- Seasonings: Dried oregano, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Honestly use what you have on hand. Italian seasoning would be great too!
- Fresh herbs: I like the taste of Italian parsley added to chicken with mushrooms. Fresh dill, fresh basil or green onion will pair nicely as well.
How to Make Chicken and Mushroom Recipe
This chicken and mushroom recipe comes together in 4 simple steps, with 10 minutes of prep and in one skillet. This is just a quick overview but there is a full recipe card below.
I like to use a cast iron skillet because it gets really hot and sears chicken and vegetables very well but you can use any large skillet.
- Sear the chicken: Cook chicken breasts with smoked paprika, oregano, salt and pepper in a bit of olive oil for about 10 minutes. The secret is let chicken get a nice char on each side and not to stir often. Transfer it onto a large plate.
- Saute mushrooms and onions: Saute onions and mushroom with a bit of butter, for about 5-7 minutes. You want the onions to be nice and soft and mushrooms fragrant and beautifully colored. Thanks, butter!
- Add garlic: With heat off add a few cloves of freshly grated garlic. It will elevate the flavor of entire chicken mushroom dish immensely!
- Final seasoning: Add back previously cooked chicken and fresh parsley. Give skillet a stir and now it’s time to adjust any seasonings like salt and pepper. I like to underseason before and do final check at the end when all flavors are mixed together. Garnish with more parsley and that’s it!
Tips for Best Flavorful Results
Here are a few tips for the best chicken and mushrooms recipe in the world! It’s so good, everyone will be asking you for the recipe!
- Use cast iron skillet: Cast iron skillet gets very hot, sears chicken and veggies nicely, and makes cooking quick as it actually retains the heat. Of course, other type of frying pan will work but the cook time might be longer.
- Cook chicken and mushrooms undisturbed: Refrain from stirring everything too often, it is not a stir fry. Once chicken hits the hot surface of the skillet, let it get nice char and sear. That’s the base for lots of flavor in this recipe.
- Use both oil and butter: While it is healthy and lovely to sear juicy chicken breasts in olive oil, it is equally extra flavorful to cook mushrooms and onion in butter. Don’t skip butter!
- Chicken thighs: You can use boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into 2 inch pieces and cooking time will remain the same.
Serve Mushroom Chicken With These Sides
Truly what you have here is a very flavorful low carb main dish, so I recommend to pair it with a more simple side dish recipe.
For lighter meal I recommend to serve this chicken and mushroom recipe with any simple green salad like lettuce salad, romaine lettuce salad or butter lettuce salad. For a heartier salad, pick this Mediterranean chickpea salad. I know it is far from “plain” but it will go well with this dish.
For those who are more hungry, serve over a bed of mashed potatoes or with roasted butternut squash.
How to Store and Reheat
Store: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Reheat: Reheat in a microwave or on the stove with a bit of water or olive oil until heated through.
Freeze: Chicken does freeze well but not the mushrooms because they contain over 90% of water. I do not recommend to freeze this mushroom chicken recipe.
I find the best way to clean mushrooms is to place them in a large bowl with cold water and let sit for 2-3 minutes to allow the dirt to loosen. After scrub and rinse under cold water. Such short soak time doesn’t make mushrooms absorb the water.
Yes. If you don’t like mushrooms or have allergies, chopped zucchini, bell pepper, asparagus or green beans will pair nicely with garlic butter sauce and onion.
Add a splash of white wine, soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce to onion and mushroom mixture at the end.
Yes. Store cubed raw chicken in one airtight container and chopped onion and mushrooms in another one in your refrigerator for up to 2-3 days. When ready to cook, all you have to do is combine everything and saute. Will take only 15 minutes.
More Chicken and Veggies Recipes to Try
More Mushroom Recipes to Try
Chicken and Mushrooms Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 large onion sliced
- 2 garlic cloves grated
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 ounces brown mushrooms sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley finely chopped
- Preheat large cast iron skillet on medium-high heat, add olive oil and chicken. Sprinkle it with smoked paprika, oregano, salt, pepper and cook for 10 minutes or until seared and cooked through, stirring a few times but not too often. Remove onto a large plate and set aside.
- Return skillet to the stove and add butter, onion and mushrooms. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until mushrooms are fragrant and seared and onions are softened, stirring a few times. Turn off heat.
- Add back cooked chicken, garlic and parsley. Stir chicken and mushrooms dish, and adjust any seasonings to taste, if you wish.
- Serve hot over a bed of mashed potatoes, with a salad or on its own.
We really enjoyed the flavor.
Easy to make.
I’m so happy to read this! Thanks for your positive feedback!