Delicious Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup is loaded with quinoa and chicken, and Thai flavours of coconut milk, peanuts, lime and cilantro. It is not your regular butternut squash soup, it’s better!
Crockpot Butternut Squash Soup
Slow cooker butternut squash soup is a perfect, velvety smooth, hearty and healthy soup.
It is super easy to make and is the ultimate comfort food on these cold and crisp fall days. Everyone in my household licks their bowls clean!
Then, I just throw everything into the slower cooker and go about doing what I have to do (because there is always something on the to-do list right?!).
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup
- Butternut squash
- Coconut Milk: Make sure to use full fat coconut milk.
- Quinoa: White, red or tri-colour quinoa works. Make sure you add it cooked to the soup.
- Chicken: I use chicken breast, but any chicken parts will work.
- Seasonings: Curry paste, ginger, garlic, salt, lime leaves, maple syrup/honey.
- Garnish: Red bell peppers, cilantro, peanuts and lime juice.
How to Make Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup
There is a full recipe card below.
It doesn’t get much easier than this slow cooker soup!
- Chop: The only prep work is chopping the squash.
- Cook quinoa: As per package directions.
- Throw (almost) everything into the slow cooker: Add squash, coconut milk, water, maple syrup, curry paste, ginger, garlic, salt, lime leaves and chicken.
- Cook: On Low for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours.
- Shred: Remove the cooked chicken and shred it.
- Blend: With an immersion blender, blend the soup until creamy smooth. Then add the chicken and quinoa into the pot.
How to Serve, Store and Reheat
Serve: Garnish with bell peppers, cilantro, peanuts and lime juice. Serve hot with bread of your choice. Yum!
Store: Butternut squash soup refrigerates well in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Freeze: This soup freezes well. Fully cook, cool completely and freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Then just thaw on the stovetop covered on low.
Make Ahead: Yes, you can make this soup ahead of time! Just add squash, coconut milk, water, maple syrup, curry paste, ginger, garlic, salt and lime leaves into a covered container. Place in the refrigerator until you are ready to cook (but no more than 48 hours). And then, just follow the cooking instructions starting at Step 1. Voila!
More Healthy Soup Recipes
- Instant Pot butternut squash soup
- Healthy butternut squash soup
- Healthy broccoli cheese soup
- Healthy cauliflower soup
- Lentil spinach soup
- Vegetable soup
- Browse all healthy slow cooker soups
Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 medium butternut squash 8 cups, cubed
- 14 oz can coconut milk full fat*
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 inch ginger peeled & grated
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 4-5 kaffir lime leaves optional**
- 1.5 lbs chicken any parts, skin on or off-I used chicken breasts
- 2 cups quinoa cooked
- 2 large red bell peppers thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup peanuts unsalted
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/2 lime juice of
- In a large slow cooker, add squash, coconut milk, water, maple syrup, curry paste, ginger, garlic, salt, lime leaves and chicken. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred using two forks. Discard lime leaves. Using immersion blender, blend soup until smooth.
- Add chicken, quinoa, bell peppers, peanuts, cilantro and lime juice. Stir and serve hot. Alternatively you can serve toppings separately.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Make Ahead: In a large container or bowl with a lid, add squash, coconut milk, water, maple syrup, curry paste, ginger, garlic, salt and lime leaves. Cover and refrigerate for up to 48 hours, then cook following Step 1 instructions.
- Freeze: Fully cook, cool completely and freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw on a stovetop covered on low.
- *Do not use light coconut milk - soup will be flat.
- **I usually get kaffir lime leaves at an Asian store. They are basically Thai bay leaves and can be stored forever tightly sealed in the freezer. You can also get them on Amazon. I would say there is no close replacement for the bright floral and citrus-y aromatic that kaffir lime leaves add to the dish. However, it is OK to omit them. Soup will still taste great!
Recipes and images are a copyright of ifoodreal.com. It is against the law to republish recipes anywhere including social media, print and all world wide web. Nutritional info is provided for informational purposes only and to the best knowledge.