Delicious Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup is loaded with quinoa and chicken, and Thai flavours of coconut milk, peanuts, lime and cilantro. It is not your regular butternut squash soup, it’s better!
Crockpot Butternut Squash Soup
Butternut squash is a vegetable I feel in love with as an adult. It has great texture, sweet taste and is quite versatile. You can eat it oven baked, sauteed with honey and garlic and of course in a form of butternut squash soup.
I have even spiralized it in this butternut squash noodles skillet dinner!
This slow cooker butternut squash soup is a perfect, velvety smooth, hearty and healthy. It is super easy to make and is the ultimate comfort food on these cold and crisp fall days. Everyone in my household licks their bowls clean, just like when I serve creamy Instant Pot potato soup.
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup
- Butternut squash
- Coconut Milk: Make sure to use full fat coconut milk.
- Quinoa: White, red or tri-colour quinoa works. Make sure you add it cooked to the soup.
- Chicken: I use chicken breast, but any chicken parts will work.
- Seasonings: Curry paste, ginger, garlic, salt, lime leaves, maple syrup/honey.
- Garnish: Red bell peppers, cilantro, peanuts and lime juice.
How to Make Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup
There is a full recipe card below.
It doesn’t get much easier than this slow cooker soup!
- Chop: The only prep work is chopping the squash.
- Cook quinoa: As per package directions.
- Throw (almost) everything into the slow cooker: Add squash, coconut milk, water, maple syrup, curry paste, ginger, garlic, salt, lime leaves and chicken.
- Cook: On Low for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours.
- Shred: Remove the cooked chicken and shred it.
- Blend: With an immersion blender, blend the soup until creamy smooth. Then add the chicken and quinoa into the pot.
How to Serve, Store and Reheat
Serve: Garnish with bell peppers, cilantro, peanuts and lime juice. Serve hot with bread of your choice. Yum!
Store: Butternut squash soup can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Freeze: This soup freezes well. Fully cook, cool completely and freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Then just thaw on the stovetop covered on low.
Make Ahead: Yes, you can make this soup ahead of time! Just add squash, coconut milk, water, maple syrup, curry paste, ginger, garlic, salt and lime leaves into a covered container. Place in the refrigerator until you are ready to cook (but no more than 48 hours). And then, just follow the cooking instructions starting at Step 1. Voila!
More Favorite Soup Recipes
- Broccoli cheese soup
- Cauliflower soup
- Pumpkin soup
- Slow cooker chicken lentil soup
- Bean and mushroom soup
Thai Chicken Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 medium butternut squash (8 cups) cubed
- 1 inch fresh ginger grated
- 1 garlic clove grated
- 1 tbsp red curry paste
- 2 tsp oil for frying
- 1.5 lbs boneless & skinless chicken breasts
- 14 oz can coconut milk full fat
- 2 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 4-5 kaffir lime leaves optional
- 2 large red bell peppers thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup peanuts unsalted
- 1/4 cup cilantro finely chopped
- 1/2 lime juice of
- Preheat large heavy bottom pot or Dutch oven on medium heat and add oil. Add ginger, garlic, red curry paste and cook for 30 seconds, stirring frequently.
- Add chicken breasts, butternut squash, coconut milk, chicken broth, maple syrup, salt and kaffir lime leaves (if using). Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low-medium, cover and cook for 15 minutes until squash has softened.
- Remove chicken and shred using two forks. Discard lime leaves. Using immersion blender, blend soup until smooth.
- Add chicken, bell peppers, peanuts, cilantro and lime juice. Stir and serve hot. Alternatively you can serve toppings separately.
- Slow cooker version: In a large slow cooker, add squash, coconut milk, broth, maple syrup, curry paste, ginger, garlic, salt, lime leaves and chicken. Cook on Low for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours. Remove and shred chicken, discard lime leaves. Blend the soup, add shredded chicken, bell peppers, peanuts, cilantro and lime juice.
- Cooked quinoa (optional): Old recipe included 2 cups of cooked quinoa added at the end with toppings.
- Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Freeze: Fully cook, cool completely and freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw on a stovetop covered on low.
- Coconut milk: You could use light coconut milk, but soup will be more flat.
- Kaffir lime leaves: I usually get kaffir lime leaves at an Asian store. You can freeze them tightly sealed in the freezer.