It is cold and crisp in PNW. Perfect for some velvety smooth, hearty and healthy slow cooker butternut squash soup loaded up with quinoa and chicken, and Thai flavour boosters: coconut milk, peanuts, lime and cilantro. It is not your regular butternut squash soup, it’s better – a complete freezer meal. Perfect for meal planning as well.
Absolutely everyone licked their bowls in our household – not spicy for kids at all. And I enjoyed the slow cooker version of butternut squash soup because I can go about doing what I have to do (there is always something to do, right?!). And then just load it up right before serving. Looking for more creamy soup classics? Check out healthy chicken wild rice soup and healthy broccoli cheese soup.
How to Make Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup
Slow cook the base butternut squash soup: butternut squash, coconut milk, chicken, water and spices.
Remove chicken and shred it. Puree everything inside the pot with an immersion blender.
Add cooked quinoa or brown rice – hello, leftovers.
Add Thai flavours: peanuts, lime and cilantro. Also I like to add bell peppers at the end so they stay crunchy. Red bell peppers are a must for Thai cooking in my world. Their sweetness pairs well with zesty lime.
Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup with Chicken and Quinoa
Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup Recipe made healthy with coconut milk, quinoa, chicken, peanuts, bell peppers, lime and cilantro.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1 medium butternut squash (8 cups), cubed
- 14 oz can coconut milk, full fat*
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 inch ginger, peeled & grated
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 4-5 kaffir lime leaves (optional)**
- 1.5 lbs chicken (any parts, skin on or off-I used chicken breasts)
- 2 cups quinoa, cooked
- 2 large red bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup peanuts, unsalted
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 lime, juice of
- In a large slow cooker, add squash, coconut milk, water, maple syrup, curry paste, ginger, garlic, salt, lime leaves and chicken. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred using two forks. Discard lime leaves. Using immersion blender, blend soup until smooth. Add chicken, quinoa, bell peppers, peanuts, cilantro and lime juice. Stir and serve hot. Alternatively you can serve toppings separately.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Make Ahead: In a large container or bowl with a lid, add squash, coconut milk, water, maple syrup, curry paste, ginger, garlic, salt and lime leaves. Cover and refrigerate for up to 48 hours, then cook following Step 1 instructions.
Freeze: Fully cook, cool completely and freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw on a stovetop covered on low.
*Do not use light coconut milk – soup will be flat. **I usually get kaffir lime leaves at an Asian store. They are basically Thai bay leaves and can be stored forever tightly sealed in the freezer. You can also get them on Amazon. I would say there is no close replacement for the bright floral and citrusy aromatic that kaffir lime leaves add to the dish. However, it is OK to omit them. Soup will still taste great!
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.