These 52 Healthy Soup Recipes will help you create nutritious and delicious soups and stews in an Instant Pot, slow cooker, or on the stovetop. Whether you want a hearty soup/stew or light and creamy broth, there’s something for every one!
Table of contents
- What Are Healthy Soup Recipes?
- Top Tips for the Best Healthy Soups
- Hearty Soup FAQs
- Serving Recommendations for Soup Dinner Ideas
- Healthy Chicken Soup Recipes
- Delicious Turkey Soup Recipes
- Healthy Instant Pot Soup Recipes
- Instant Pot Split Pea Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- Instant Pot Minestrone
- Instant Pot Lentil Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Instant Pot Taco Soup
- Instant Pot Black Bean Soup
- Instant Pot Beef Barley Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Soup
- Instant Pot Chili
- Instant Pot Potato Soup
- Instant Pot Thai Chicken Soup
- Instant Pot Borscht
- Slow Cooker Soup Recipes
- Healthy Beef Soup Recipes
- Healthy Stew Recipes
- Healthy Vegetarian Soup Recipes
- More Healthy Recipes
What Are Healthy Soup Recipes?
When the weather outside is wet and/or bitter cold, there’s nothing better than a big, warming bowl of healthy soup or chili. It feels like a blanket of comfort and warmth and even better, they’re usually packed with veggies, fiber, and lean protein for a truly nourishing meal. Meaning great flavor AND energy to keep you going through the day (especially for shoveling snow off the driveway in winter!)
Many of these soup dinner recipes are freezer-friendly. This means you can make a large batch, serve some right away and then, freeze the rest for later! Most soups will keep well frozen for 3 to 4 months. Pair with healthy muffins (also freezer friendly!) and you can have lunch or dinner meal prepped for months.
To make things easy and convenient for you, all of the soup recipes in this collection are separated into categories. If you click any of the links above, you’ll be taken directly to that section/ healthy soup recipe within this post.
Now, let’s get this soup party started!
Top Tips for the Best Healthy Soups
- Adjust the sodium accordingly: I always use low-sodium broth, that way I can adjust it myself!
- Saute the ingredients: While this isn’t always necessary, browning your meat and veg can pack in tons of flavor to simple soups.
- Simmer, don’t boil: Boiling soups can easily turn veggies and beans mushy – which is why a slow simmer is always preferred.
- Add an acid: Adding an acidic ingredient to any soup helps to add brightness and create wonderful depth of flavor. Vinegar, lemon, lime, wine, or even tomato paste all work.
- Use dairy sparingly: All of the below healthy soups go easy on any heavy dairy. Instead, you can add a spoonful of yogurt or cream/ coconut milk to the top of your soup for just enough creaminess.
- Don’t take shortcuts: The only shortcut worth taking with any soup/stew is using an Instant Pot. That way, it still tastes like it’s been simmering for hours but in a fraction of the time. Any other shortcuts will impact the flavor of your broth and not give it time to meld and develop it to be the best it can be.
Hearty Soup FAQs
There are several ways to jazz up your soup, including adding fresh herbs and spices, finishing it off with something acidic (lemon juice or vinegar) to add brightness and depth, adding more umami flavor (soy sauce or aged cheese), or even simmering the soup for longer to reduce it for a more flavorful broth! If you have yet to make soup my biggest advice is to first sear any meat or brown any veggies for an easy way to pack in tons of flavor.
While canned soups can contain thickeners, preservatives, and high levels of sodium – these healthy homemade soup recipes make for a wonderfully healthy lunch or dinner. The below recipes are packed with vitamins, minerals, and other healthful nutrients while keeping flavor at a maximum, but fats and calories usually at a minimum. Even better, soups are a great way to pack in fiber and veggies (usually from frugal ingredients in your kitchen)!
One of the best things about the healthy soup recipes (and, in fact, most soups and stews that don’t contain tons of dairy) is that they are usually extremely freezer-friendly and perfect for Fall/Winter meal prep (although the Ukrainian in me makes soup year round!). Just click on any of the recipes below to quickly find out their storage information. However, to give you a head start, this healthy lentil soup, bean mushroom soup, turkey taco soup, and white chicken chili all freeze wonderfully (and are included in my healthy freezer meal prep!)!
Maybe it’s cliche, but you can’t get much better than a chicken noodle soup or chicken rice soup when you’re feeling poorly. In fact, any of the below healthy soup recipes that combine meat, veggies, and noodles are a favorite of mine for when I need a pick-me-up!
Serving Recommendations for Soup Dinner Ideas
The best accompaniments to any healthy soup recipe will vary based on the flavors and textures in the soup. However, here are some of my favorite side dishes for soups!
- Bread: A crusty loaf of bread, naan, pita, or even focaccia are perfect for sopping up all the juicy soup/stew juices!
- Sandwiches: Especially a grilled cheese or tuna melt!
- Grains: For a heartier soup, you can add a portion of grains (rice, quinoa, couscous, pasta) directly into the soup and voila – instant hearty meal!
- Salad: Soups pair wonderfully with leafy green salads like this lemon kale salad with garlic and parmesan or a simple lettuce salad recipe.
Healthy Chicken Soup Recipes
If we were to take a poll, I think we might learn that almost all of us grew up eating bowls of chicken soup when we were feeling under the weather.
These healthy chicken soup recipes are perfect for the cold, wet, dreary days of winter. Plus, they are sure to chase away the sniffles during cold and flu season!
Chicken Tortilla Soup is made with tender chicken, crispy tortilla strips, veggies, and herbs in a deliciously spiced broth. It’s an easy, healthy soup that combines multiple fresh Mexican flavors to warm you to your bones!
This flavourful Chicken Lentil Soup has chicken, lentils, leafy greens, and corn simmering in herb-infused chicken stock with coconut milk. Make it in a slow cooker or stovetop, it’s your choice!
Chicken Wild Rice Soup is made without heavy cream, flour, or butter in your slow cooker, Instant Pot, or on the stove. It is easy, creamy, low fat, and simply the best healthy comfort food in a bowl!
This Quick Chicken Noodle Soup combines juicy chicken, tender veg, and hearty noodles in just 40 minutes for a soup as flavorful as grandmas. Once you try this recipe, you will say “good-bye” to the canned and boxed stuff for good!
Chicken Noodle Vegetable Soup is THE original soup for anyone feeling poorly and is a must-try during the winter months. With a combination of chicken, carrot, cabbage, celery, potato, and whole wheat noodles, this is a hearty, nourishing soup the entire family will love! Better yet, you can enjoy it on the stovetop or in a slow cooker!
Delicious Turkey Soup Recipes
Turkey soup may be less popular, but the health benefits of turkey are just as good as chicken. After all, poultry is poultry, regardless of the variety. Better yet, turkey naturally contains less fat, too – for an easy healthy ingredient swap!
Turkey Meatball Soup Recipe with pasta and vegetables is super easy to make and is healthy. Kids love anything with meatballs (and pasta!), so this soup should be a crowd-pleaser.
Every spoonful of this Turkey Taco Soup is bursting with flavorful ground turkey, beans, and corn. Plus, this easy 30-minute soup can be made on the stove or in a slow cooker then topped with all your favorite toppings!
Stuffed Pepper Soup has everything you love about stuffed peppers but without all the work. Made with simple ingredients like ground turkey or beef, rice, bell peppers, and tomatoes- this is a hearty bowl of soup with a sprinkle of Ukrainian flavor.
Turkey Noodle Soup is the perfect answer to leftover roasted turkey. Its broth is so healing and delicious, once combined with simple veggies and pasta your family will devour it in minutes.
This hearty Ukrainian Buckwheat Soup Recipe combines soup bones, mixed vegetables, and roasted buckwheat (which is packed with protein and fiber while remaining low GI)- for a healthy, wholesome, and delicious soup (with lots of leftovers!).
Healthy Instant Pot Soup Recipes
Because of its ability to steam, bake, and even saute with little to no oil, a multi-cooker is the perfect kitchen appliance for making healthy meals. New to Instant Pot cooking? Start with these 32 beginner recipes!
When you have had a busy day, come home and put the ingredients for one of these Instant Pot recipes into the pot. Then, push a couple of buttons, grab your favorite beverage and make a beeline for the couch to relax while dinner cooks.
Instant Pot Split Pea Soup is a true 10-minute set and forget recipe. You don’t have to soak the peas or saute the veggies and best of all, it’s cheap, filling, and healthy.
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is everything you love about Mexican food in a one-pot 30-minute meal. It’s delicious and healthy, loaded with chicken, veggies, and tortillas, and will warm you to the bones.
Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana is a rich and hearty Italian sausage, kale, and potato soup. It is so easy to make this healthier Olive Garden copycat soup healthy at home with this simple recipe!
Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup is quick and easy with simple ingredients, creamy and cozy with warm spices pressure cooker soup. I recommend making a big batch for plenty of leftovers and serve with this apple kale salad for a soup dinner idea full of full vibes!
Instant Pot Minestrone Soup is a flavorful hearty Italian soup with beans, pasta, and veggies. Not only it is delicious and comforting but nutritious and so much better than any canned version!
This is THE Best Instant Pot Lentil Soup with green or brown lentils, canned tomatoes, and spinach in a broth that tastes like it’s been simmering for hours. Best of all, it requires only 5 mins of prep and no sauteing!
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup just like my Ukrainian grandma used to make. It is easy, hearty, healthy, and delicious. Serve with fresh dill or parsley, lots of pepper, and toasted whole-grain bread to sop up all the juices. Yum!
Instant Pot Taco Soup is one of the easiest dinners of all time. Made with mostly pantry ingredients, it is full of flavor, delicious, and nutritious. Pair with Mexican kale salad for a soup dinner idea!
This hearty Instant Pot Black Bean soup is incredibly frugal, simple to prepare, requires no pre-soaking of the beans, and is loved by meat-eaters and non-meat eaters alike! Even better, it’s packed with plant-based protein and fiber for a truly hearty (and delicious) bean soup! You might also like to make refried beans to go with any taco night!
This Instant Pot Beef Barley Soup is a rustic soup in all the best ways. It combines fall-apart beef with tender carrot and celery and slightly chewy pearls of barely in a bold and flavorful broth perfect for enjoying in the colder months!
I love this Instant Pot Chicken and Rice soup for its magical ability to be both a light yet hearty, flavor-packed, nutritious soup that will warm you to your bones! This healthy twist on a childhood favorite is sure to impress the entire family! Serve with corn muffins or cauliflower biscuits.
By swapping out the stovetop for an Instant Pot, this Instant Pot chili reduces two days of slow simmering to just one and a half hours – for the most hearty, flavorful, thick, delicious chili packed with ground beef, beans, and several pantry staples! Can’t get enough chili? Check out my Instant Pot vegetarian chili or lightened up
Instant Pot turkey chili.
Just like the chili above, this Instant pot Potato Soup tastes like it’s been simmering for hours but in under 30 minutes, thanks to the magic of the Instant Pot. This ‘baked’ potato soup is creamy, carby, aromatic, and flavorful in all the best of ways – making it the perfect winter soup!
This creamy Instant Pot Thai Chicken Soup encompasses all my favorite Thai flavors; coconut milk, red curry paste, cilantro, lime, peanuts, and more! The result is a super silky, creamy, light yet nourishing soup with just enough heat to warm your bones. Even better, this Thai soup is perfect for meal-prep and can be prepared in a slow cooker or stovetop, too! Pair with Asian chopped salad for a themed soup dinner idea.
I adapted my grandma’s Ukrainian cabbage and beet soup to be made easier and hands off in this Instant Pot Borscht recipe – and it tastes just like hers. There is no sauteing of vegetables in “zazharka” for hours on end. Easy peasy just throw everything in one pot and walk away!
Slow Cooker Soup Recipes
When you need a hearty and nutritious meal and have no time to stand over the stovetop for hours, let your slow cooker come to the rescue. These slow cooker soups are simple to make, hearty, and delicious!
Delicious Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup is loaded with quinoa, chicken, and the delicious Thai flavors of coconut milk, peanuts, lime, and cilantro. It is not your regular butternut squash soup, it’s better! Pair with peanut slaw for a an easy soup dinner idea.
This Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup is made with a flavorful broth, shredded chicken, and tender noodles. A bowl of hot chicken noodle soup is the perfect comfort food when you are feeling cold, sick, or even lonely. Just like my Ukrainian grandma used to make!
This Slow Cooker Lentil Soup recipe is the best “set it and forget it” healthy vegetarian soup with a hearty texture and umami flavor. Just turn on your crockpot and walk away – then come back to delicious aromas and flavors!
Warm up with a hot bowl of Turkey Chili on a cool fall day. Inspired by The Biggest Loser, this healthy chili is flavorful, high in protein, low in calories, and the perfect comfort food!
Healthy Beef Soup Recipes
This Beef Barley Soup is flavorful, incredibly easy, and satisfying on a cold day. It’s a healthy one-pot meal ready in an hour with ground beef, hulled barley, and vegetables. So good!
Enjoy this savory Cabbage Soup with beef ribs, potatoes, fresh cabbage, or sauerkraut- known as Russian Shchi. It’s frugal yet flavorful and tastes delicious when served with sour cream or yogurt, dill, and bread.
This Quinoa Stew with Beef is optimal comfort food, with a twist – swapping out the potatoes (keep scrolling for that option) with protein and nutrient-dense quinoa! Gluten-free beef stew has never been so delicious!
Healthy Stew Recipes
If you want healthy soup recipes for meals that will warm your bones and keep you full, one of these healthy stew recipes is a perfect choice! They are frugal, simple to make, and packed with flavor and nutrients!
This quick Chicken and Chickpea Stew Recipe is packed with veggies and tomatoes and cooked on a stove, in a slow cooker, or Instant Pot. It’s also incredibly freezer-friendly, perfect for winter meal prep!
Healthy White Chicken Chili is a 30-minute meal with chicken breast, white beans, corn, cumin, and yogurt. This healthy white bean soup is also easy to make on the stove, crockpot, or make Instant Pot chicken chili – it’s a true crowd pleaser that is even freezer meal prep friendly!
Instant Pot Beef Stew is a one-pot dinner with fall-apart beef and lots of vegetables cooked in a delicious, hearty gravy sauce. It’s just like my Ukrainian grandma used to make with 2 secret ingredients to take it to perfection!
With a combination of tender chicken, potatoes, and carrots simmered in a flavorful broth packed with depth, then garnished with fresh herbs, this Chicken Stew is a dish that will have you salivating in anticipation as it simmers to perfection!
Ditch classic meats for this aromatic Cilantro Tomato Salmon Soup and enjoy the hearty tomato-based broth with lemon (or lime) and fresh herbs year-round! Best of all, you can use pretty much any fish in this soup and fresh or canned tomatoes – it’s up to you!
With just 10 minutes prep and 20 minutes cooking time, you can prepare this Instant Pot Chicken and Potatoes stew – just like the way my Ukrainian grandma used to make it! It’s perfect for those busy Fall/Winter evenings!
Healthy Vegetarian Soup Recipes
Make one of these flavourful and nutritious vegetarian soups for meatless Monday, or any other day! These soups don’t have meat, but don’t let it stop you from serving them with a meat-based main dish!
Hearty and thick, this Pasta e Fagioli Soup is a favorite of mine. This Italian classic is bursting with flavors and comes together with simple pantry staples like beans, pasta, and produce drawer goodness.
Pair this Healthy Tomato Soup (with canned tomatoes) with a gooey grilled cheese for a 10-minute healthy dinner. I just love how a healthy meal comes together in practically minutes from “nothing” with this tomato soup recipe.
This Homemade Vegetable Soup is loaded with fresh or frozen vegetables and is so easy and delicious to prepare. You can make it on the stove, in the Instant Pot or in a slow cooker. It’s perfect for a quick lunch or a filling dinner, I love serving with crusty bread or even a slice of healthy lemon poppy seed bread.
Green Split Pea Soup makes an easy, delicious, and hearty bowl of soup that can be vegetarian or made with bone broth and meat – just the way my Ukrainian mother makes it!
Ukrainian Borscht is a traditional Eastern European sweet and sour soup made with beets, cabbage, garlic, and dill, then served with a dollop of sour cream and rye bread. This is my grandma’s original borscht recipe I grew up on in Ukraine.
Warm up this season with a bowl of Red Lentil Soup. A hearty soup made with a vegetable base, red lentils, quinoa and seasoned with cumin and coriander. It’s simple and satisfying!
This Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Soup is 100% vegan, using coconut milk in place of dairy for a quick, 15-minute tomato soup to impress!
Healthy Broccoli Cheese Soup is easy, cheesy, and creamy with lots of vegetables. Make this copycat broccoli cheddar soup at home without any heavy cream or flour in just 30 minutes.
Healthy Butternut Squash Soup with simple ingredients, in one pot and in 30 minutes. The creamy goodness and warm spices are so comforting on a chilly fall or winter day.
This Lentil Spinach Soup combines green lentils, diced tomatoes, spinach, and lots of Parmesan cheese. The result is a healthy, easy, low-calorie, and hearty soup passed on to me by my Italian neighbor.
This hearty and healthy white Bean and Mushroom Soup is packed with umami and can be made on a stovetop, in a slow cooker, or Instant Pot. You can even make a massive batch and store some in the freezer!
In just 15 minutes you can have this Healthy Cauliflower Soup on your table and ready to curb those hot wings cravings. With a combination of super creamy cauliflower, hot sauce, blue cheese, and several aromatics – this veggie-packed soup is a healthy way to curb those cravings while packed with flavor!
This Healthy Pumpkin Soup is velvety, creamy, and rich with a simple combination of pumpkin, several spices, and smooth coconut milk in a flavorful broth. Blend it to perfection and top with a little Greek yogurt and/or pumpkin seeds for a warming, hearty, healthy Fall lunch or dinner!
Swap the lackluster canned versions for this classic homemade Minestrone Soup! It’s hearty, aromatic, and loaded with veggies, beans, pasta, and herbs and then simmered in a flavorful tomato broth. Best of all, while packed with flavor, this soup is also frugal and versatile (I’ve even shared Instant Pot minestrone.)
This Instant Pot Vegetarian Chili is a hearty stew made with beans, veggies, quinoa, and an irresistible rainbow of smoky flavors. It’s full of fiber and protein, vegan-friendly, and ready in under an hour. Best of all, there are tons of ways to enjoy this meat-free chili whether on its own in a bowl, to top nachos, or scooped into baked sweet potatoes, etc!
More Healthy Recipes
52 Healthy Soup Recipes: Chicken Wild Rice Soup
- 1.5 lbs any chicken pieces*
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 2 large carrots coarsely chopped
- 3 large celery stalks diced
- 2 large potatoes diced
- 1/2 cup dried mushrooms or 2 cups fresh brown mushrooms sliced
- 1 1/2 cups wild rice
- 9 cups water or chicken broth**
- 1/2 tsp thyme dried
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups whole milk***
- Small bunch parsley finely chopped
- Avocado oil for stovetop only
- Slow Cooker: Add chicken, onion, garlic, carrots, celery, potatoes, mushrooms, wild rice, water, thyme, salt, and pepper into a large slow cooker. Then just cover and cook on High for 5-6 hours or Low for 8-10 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred using 2 forks. To the slow cooker, add milk, mustard and garlic powder. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup to desired thickness. Add the shredded chicken and parsley. Stir and serve hot.
- Stovetop: Add avocado oil to a large heavy bottom pot or Dutch oven. Add onion, garlic, carrots, celery and fresh mushrooms (if using), and saute for 5 minutes. Add chicken, potatoes, wild mushrooms (if not using fresh), wild rice, water, thyme, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover and then for 45 minutes on low heat.
- Once cooked, remove the chicken and shred using 2 forks. Add milk, mustard and garlic powder; to the pot. With an immersion blender, blend the soup to desired texture. Return shredded chicken to the pot and stir.
- Garnish with parsley and serve hot.
- Instant Pot (6 or 8 quart)****: Add chicken, onion, garlic, carrots, celery, potatoes, mushrooms, wild rice, water, thyme, mustard, garlic powder salt, and pepper to Instant Pot. Cover, set pressure valve to Sealing and press Pressure Cooking on High for 25 minutes. Wait 10 minutes and do a Quick Release to release the pressure by turning the valve to Venting.
- Remove chicken from soup and shred with 2 forks. Add milk to instant pot. With an immersion blender, give a few pulses until soup is desired thickness. Add shredded chicken, parsley, stir and serve hot.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days or freeze leftovers for up to 3 months.
- Freezer Meal: In a large Ziploc bag, add all ingredients (except water, milk and parsley), release out as much air as possible, seal and freeze for up to 3 months. If cooking in slow cooker, thaw in the fridge for 24 hours, add to slow cooker along with water and cook as per above instructions + 1 hour. If cooking in Instant Pot, cook from frozen for 25 minutes with Quick Release. Then follow last step in the recipe.
- Make Ahead: In a large airtight container, bowl with a lid or slow cooker’s insert, add all ingredients (except chicken and parsley) and refrigerate for up to 12 hours. Add chicken and cook as per slow cooker instructions. OR store chopped veggies with spices in an airtight container for up to 3 days and mix with the rest when ready to cook.
- For the slow cooker version, I used frozen drumsticks. But ANY type of chicken works – raw, bone in/skin on or boneless/skinless, cut up whole chicken, and cooked cubed/shredded. If using cooked chicken, add towards the end of the cooking time. You should also use chicken broth instead of water since the chicken won’t be cooking in water creating a broth.
- Water or broth? Use water with raw chicken and broth with cooked chicken.
- Dairy free: You can use any unsweetened plant-based milk, but soup will just be less rich but still creamy.
- For 3 quart Instant Pot, cut recipe ingredients in half, but keep the same cooking time.
Recipes and images are a copyright of ifoodreal.com. It is against the law to republish recipes without permission. Nutritional info is approximate.