These 35 Healthy Soup Recipes will help you create nutritious and delicious soups and stews in an Instant Pot, slow cooker, or on the stove top.
These soups also pair nicely with our easy lunch recipes for a hearty mid-day meal!
On a wet or bitter cold day, a warm bowl of soup or stew feels like a blanket of comfort. In addition to that, healthy soups are full of veggies and lean protein. As a result, they provide your body with the energy it needs to race through the rain or shovel snow off of the driveway!
Healthy Soup Recipes – Quick Links
The best news of all is that many soup recipes are freezer-friendly. This means, you can make a large batch and serve some right away. Then, freeze the rest and it will be ready to heat and eat whenever you want! Most soups will keep well frozen for 3 to 4 months. Pair it with a healthy muffin (also freezer friendly!) and you can have lunch meal prepped for months.
To make things easy and convenient for you, all of the soup recipes in this collection are separated into categories. If you click on one of these 5 links, you’ll be taken directly to the part of this post that has those recipes.
Now, let’s get this soup party started!
Healthy Chicken Soup Recipes
If we were to take a poll, I think we might learn that almost all of us grew up eating bowls of chicken soup when we were feeling under the weather.
These healthy chicken soup recipes are perfect for the cold, wet, dreary days of winter. Plus, they are sure to chase away the sniffles during cold and flu season!
Chicken Tortilla Soup is made with tender chicken, crispy tortilla strips, veggies, and herbs in a deliciously spiced broth. An easy, healthy soup that combines so many fresh Mexican flavours!
This flavourful Chicken Lentil Soup has chicken, lentils, leafy greens, and corn simmering in herb-infused chicken stock with coconut milk. Made in a slow cooker or stovetop, your choice!
Chicken Wild Rice Soup is made without heavy cream, flour or butter in your slow cooker, Instant Pot or on the stove. It is easy, creamy, low fat and simply the best healthy comfort food in a bowl!
Quick Chicken Noodle Soup with juicy chicken and tender noodles in 40 minutes and as flavorful as grandma’s. Once you try my recipe, you will say “good-bye” to canned and boxed stuff.
Turkey – The Other Chicken
Turkey soup may be less popular, but the health benefits of turkey are just as good as chicken. After all, poultry is poultry, regardless of the variety.
Turkey Meatball Soup Recipe with pasta and vegetables is super easy to make and is healthy. Kids love anything with meatballs, so this soup should be a crowd pleaser.
Every spoonful of this Turkey Taco Soup is bursting with flavorful ground turkey, beans and corn. This easy 30 minute soup can be made on the stove or in a slow cooker. Don’t forget your favorite toppings!
Stuffed Pepper Soup has everything you love about stuffed peppers, but without all the work. Made with simple ingredients like ground turkey or beef, rice, bell peppers and tomatoes. Hearty bowl of soup with a sprinkle of Ukrainian flavour. ?
Turkey Noodle Soup is the answer to leftover roasted turkey. Its broth is so healing and delicious, once combined with simple veggies and pasta your family will devour it in minutes.
Healthy Instant Pot Soup Recipes
Because of its ability to steam, bake, and even saute with little to no oil, a multicooker is the perfect kitchen appliance for making healthy meals.
When you have had a busy day, come home and put the ingredients for one of these Instant Pot recipes into the pot. Then, push a couple of buttons, grab your favourite beverage and make a beeline for the couch to relax while dinner cooks.
Instant Pot Split Pea Soup is a true 10 minute set and forget recipe. You don’t have to soak the peas or saute the veggies. Pea soup is cheap, filling and healthy.
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is everything you love about Mexican food in one pot 30 minute meal. Delicious and healthy soup loaded with chicken, veggies and tortillas, this soup will warm you to the bones.
Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana is a rich and hearty Italian sausage and potato soup. It is so easy to make Olive Garden’s soup healthy at home with this recipe.
Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup is quick and easy with simple ingredients, creamy and cozy with warm spices pressure cooker soup.
Instant Pot Minestrone Soup is flavorful hearty Italian soup with beans, pasta and veggies. Not only it is delicious and comforting but nutritious.
THE Best Instant Pot Lentil Soup with green or brown lentils, canned tomatoes and spinach. Only 5 mins of prep and no sauteing.
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup just like my Ukrainian grandma used to make. It is easy, hearty, healthy and delicious. Serve with fresh dill or parsley, lots of pepper and toasted whole grain bread. Yum!
Instant Pot Taco Soup is one of the easiest dinners of all time. Made with mostly pantry ingredients, it is full of flavor, delicious and nutritious.
Slow Cooker Soup Recipes
When you need a meal and you have no time to make it, let your slow cooker come to the rescue. These slow cooker soups are simple to make, hearty, and delicious!
Delicious Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup is loaded with quinoa and chicken, and Thai flavours of coconut milk, peanuts, lime and cilantro. It is not your regular butternut squash soup, it’s better!
This Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup is made with a flavorful broth, shredded chicken and tender noodles. A bowl of hot chicken noodle soup is the perfect comfort food when you are feeling cold, sick or even lonely. Just like my Ukrainian grandma used to make. ?
This Slow Cooker Lentil Soup recipe is the best “set it and forget it” healthy vegetarian soup with a hearty texture and umami flavour. Just turn on your crockpot and walk away.
Buffalo Chicken Chili made healthy and yet creamy in slow cooker or Instant Pot. Or turn into a freezer meal.
Healthy Beef Soup Recipes
This Beef Barley Soup is flavorful, incredibly easy and satisfying on a cold day. Healthy one pot meal ready in an hour with ground beef, hulled barley and vegetables. So good!
Savory Cabbage Soup with beef ribs, potatoes, fresh cabbage or sauerkraut known as Russian Shchi. Served with sour cream or yogurt, dill and bread.
Healthy Stew Recipes
If you want healthy soup recipes for meals that will stick to your ribs and keep you full, one of these healthy stew recipes is the perfect choice!
Quick Chicken and Chickpea Stew Recipe with tomatoes cooked on a stove, in slow cooker or Instant Pot. Plus how to turn into a healthy freezer meal instructions for busy families. So good!
Healthy White Chicken Chili is a 30 minute meal with chicken breast, white beans, corn, cumin and yogurt. This healthy comfort food is easy to make on the stove, crockpot or Instant Pot. A true crowd pleaser!
Instant Pot Beef Stew is a one pot dinner with fall apart beef and lots of vegetables cooked in delicious gravy sauce. Like my Ukrainian grandma used to make. Her 2 secret ingredients at the end make this stew the best! ?
Warm up with a hot bowl of Turkey Chili on a cool fall day. Inspired by The Biggest Loser, this healthy chili is flavorful, high in protein, low in calories and the perfect comfort food!
Healthy Vegetarian Soup Recipes
Make one of these flavourful and nutritious vegetarian soups for meatless Monday, or any other day! These soups don’t have meat, but don’t let it stop you from serving them with a meat-based main dish!
Hearty and thick, this Pasta e Fagioli Soup is my favorite. Bursting with flavors, this Italian classic comes together with pantry staples like beans and pasta, and produce drawer goodness.
Healthy Tomato Soup with canned tomatoes and gooey grilled cheese for a 10 minute healthy dinner. I just love how a meal comes together with “nothing” in this tomato soup recipe.
This Homemade Vegetable Soup is loaded with fresh or frozen vegetables and is so easy and delicious. You can make it on the stove, in the Instant Pot or a slow cooker. It’s perfect for a quick lunch or a filling dinner.
Green Split Pea Soup makes easy, delicious and hearty bowl of soup that can be vegetarian or add bone and meat. My Ukrainian mom’s recipe. ?
Ukrainian Borscht is traditional sweet and sour soup made with beets, cabbage, garlic and dill in Eastern Europe. Then served with a dollop of sour cream and rye bread. This is my grandma’s original borscht recipe I grew up on in Ukraine.
Warm up this season with a bowl of Red Lentil Soup. A hearty soup made with a vegetable base, red lentils, quinoa and seasoned with cumin and coriander. Simple and satisfying!
Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Soup – vegan tomato soup recipe with coconut milk. This dairy free healthy cream of tomato soup takes only 15 minutes.
Healthy Broccoli Cheese Soup is easy, cheesy, creamy with lots of vegetables. Make copycat broccoli cheddar soup at home without heavy cream or flour in 30 minutes.
Healthy Butternut Squash Soup with simple ingredients, in one pot and in 30 minutes. The creamy goodness and warm spices are so comforting on a chilly fall or winter day.
Lentil Spinach Soup with green lentils, diced tomatoes and lots of Parmesan cheese. Healthy, easy, low calorie and hearty. My Italian neighbour shared this lentil soup recipe with me. ?
Hearty and Healthy Bean and Mushroom Soup Recipe on a stovetop, in slow cooker or Instant Pot. Instructions on how to turn into a freezer meal. It is a winner!
More Healthy Recipes
- 45 Healthy Dinner Ideas
- 45 Healthy Instant Pot Recipes
- 45 Healthy Breakfast Ideas
- 45 Healthy Salad Recipes
- 40 Healthy Chicken Recipes
- 30 Healthy Zucchini Recipes
- 30 Quinoa Recipes
35 Healthy Soup Recipes: Chicken Wild Rice Soup
- 1.5 lbs any chicken pieces*
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 2 large carrots coarsely chopped
- 3 large celery stalks diced
- 2 large potatoes diced
- 1/2 cup dried mushrooms or 2 cups fresh brown mushrooms sliced
- 1 1/2 cups wild rice
- 9 cups water or chicken broth**
- 1/2 tsp thyme dried
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups whole milk***
- Small bunch parsley finely chopped
- Avocado oil for stovetop only
- Slow Cooker: Add chicken, onion, garlic, carrots, celery, potatoes, mushrooms, wild rice, water, thyme, salt, and pepper into a large slow cooker. Then just cover and cook on High for 5-6 hours or Low for 8-10 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred using 2 forks. To the slow cooker, add milk, mustard and garlic powder. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup to desired thickness. Add the shredded chicken and parsley. Stir and serve hot.
- Stovetop: Add avocado oil to a large heavy bottom pot or Dutch oven. Add onion, garlic, carrots, celery and fresh mushrooms (if using), and saute for 5 minutes. Add chicken, potatoes, wild mushrooms (if not using fresh), wild rice, water, thyme, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover and then for 45 minutes on low heat.
- Once cooked, remove the chicken and shred using 2 forks. Add milk, mustard and garlic powder; to the pot. With an immersion blender, blend the soup to desired texture. Return shredded chicken to the pot and stir. Garnish with parsley and serve hot.
- Instant Pot (6 or 8 quart)****: Add chicken, onion, garlic, carrots, celery, potatoes, mushrooms, wild rice, water, thyme, mustard, garlic powder salt, and pepper to Instant Pot. Cover, set pressure valve to Sealing and press Pressure Cooking on High for 25 minutes. Wait 10 minutes and do a Quick Release to release the pressure by turning the valve to Venting.
- Remove chicken from soup and shred with 2 forks. Add milk to instant pot. With an immersion blender, give a few pulses until soup is desired thickness. Add shredded chicken, parsley, stir and serve hot.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days or freeze leftovers for up to 3 months.
- Freezer Meal: In a large Ziploc bag, add all ingredients (except water, milk and parsley), release out as much air as possible, seal and freeze for up to 3 months. If cooking in slow cooker, thaw in the fridge for 24 hours, add to slow cooker along with water and cook as per above instructions + 1 hour. If cooking in Instant Pot, cook from frozen for 25 minutes with Quick Release. Then follow last step in the recipe.
- Make Ahead: In a large airtight container, bowl with a lid or slow cooker's insert, add all ingredients (except chicken and parsley) and refrigerate for up to 12 hours. Add chicken and cook as per slow cooker instructions. OR store chopped veggies with spices in an airtight container for up to 3 days and mix with the rest when ready to cook.
Recipes and images are a copyright of ifoodreal.com. It is against the law to republish recipes anywhere including social media, print and all world wide web. Nutritional info is provided for informational purposes only and to the best knowledge.