I’m keeping things really chill this busy time of the year. Simple recipes like this 2 ingredients slow cooker Thai chicken thighs, slow cooker whole chicken and crockpot butter chicken help me get things done and family fed not with cookies. On Monday morning I literally was shopping Cyber Monday deals while browning chicken. That is one ingredient. Another one I already had in a fridge – Thai sweet chili sauce.
It just never fails me. Just like my slow cooker.
The only sweet deal I scooped up on a Cyber Monday was the boys’ Christmas PJs. I love them look matching on a Christmas morning opening presents under the tree. And I know I have only a few years left of that. The other two things I got was Lego which, if you are a boy’s mom know, never goes on sale. That was it. I will get a few other big things for kids and something for friends (no idea what yet) but I’m not stressing out.
My calendar is full of “book santa pics”, “horizon post dew”, “Adam bday party” and “kids teeth cleaning” things. What did I ever complain about time when I had one baby?! I do not even have time to spell out tasks properly in a $600 iPhone.
I’m really keeping things chill. At age of 35 and after almost 11 years as a mom I learnt a few life lessons a.k.a to enjoy the moment, avoid the crowds and that things will be OK whether I buy a Nerf gun on sale or not, my wreath up on November 26th or December 15th, the Christmas tree decorations matching from pre-kids years or full of dollar store craft ones. It is all going to be all right no matter what!
I caught myself looking at a post on Instagram promoting free printables quickly realizing I have no idea what they are for. I’m that chillaxed.
What I know for sure is that my family needs to eat a healthy meal preferably every time.
I tested this slow cooker Thai chicken thighs recipe last week for the first time. While everyone loved it I eliminated the soy sauce and made chicken look more appealing. I always wondered how come chicken looks so crispy and browned coming from a slow cooker on Pinterest?! Yes, Pinterest gave me a few forehead wrinkles too. Well, don’t full yourself. There is no magic – slow cooker doesn’t crisp things up but rather steams and softens the food.
You have to pre-brown chicken in a skillet which is very simple to do in a ceramic non-stick skillet without even any oil. This step eliminates extra saturated fat, leaves you with a crispy chicken and a messy stove. But this is when OCD Olena has to close her eyes and say out loud “Only people who eat in McDonald’s have a show home kitchen which is equivalent to only people without kids have a show home house”. Totally works.
So, I highly recommend to turn my slow cooker Thai chicken on, go to work and have a few coffees with Baileys, come home and have a healthy yummy dinner and don’t stress out about Christmas shopping. Teachers’ gifts are optional
they just want a Holiday break to begin already, all your spouse probably wants is you back like before kids and it’s OK not to bake 150 cookies to avoid extra fat deposits. Holidays are all about the experience and memories. Christmas has become so commercialized sometimes its purpose is lost.
Which one you prefer?
More Healthy Baked Chicken Thighs Recipes:
- Maple ginger chicken thighs from Healthy Seasonal Recipes cookbook. Yum!
- One pan chicken thighs and potatoes with carrots, onion and garlic. My mom’s recipe!
- Learn how to bake chicken thighs in the oven with very simple spices.
Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Thighs
Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Thighs Recipe made with 2 ingredients: healthy homemade thai sweet chili sauce and chicken thighs. BEST easy healthy chicken!
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours 45 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 48 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- 4 lbs chicken thighs, bone in and skin on
- 1/2 cup Thai sweet chili sauce
- Green onions, finely chopped (for garnish)
- Preheat nonstick ceramic skillet on medium heat and place half of the chicken skin side down. Cover (mostly to minimize fat splattering) and cook until skin is crispy brown, about 4-5 minutes. Turn, cook for another 3-4 minutes and transfer to a large slow cooker skin side up in a layer. Drain fat from skillet and repeat this step with remaining chicken.
- Pour Thai sweet chili sauce on top, cover and cook on Low for 5-6 hours or on High for 2.5-3 hours. Serve hot garnished with green onions, a side of brown rice/quinoa and a salad of choice. That is it!
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.