Healthy and easy vegetable frittata that incorporates any leftover veggies and cheese. Then baked with eggs in a cast iron skillet.
Frittata is a glorified omelette or simplified quiche that can be a star of an easy weeknight dinner or any brunch menu. It travels well to an office potluck and makes delicious cold breakfast. It’s GOOD!
What Is a Frittata?
Frittata is an Italian dish that is meant to incorporate any leftover vegetables, pasta, cheese etc. and then baked with eggs.
Frittata doesn’t mean you go shopping for its ingredients (maybe except the eggs) but rather clean out the fridge and freezer. Going bad veggies, frozen cheese leftovers, going bad cheese in the fridge, too many gifted eggs.
Healthy Frittata Ingredients
My vegetable frittata recipe includes:
- Vegetables: cooked sweet potato, broccoli, pepper, snap peas, onion, garlic.
- Parmesan cheese
- Red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
How to Make Vegetable Frittata
- Cook veggies in a cast iron skillet.
- Whisk eggs with spices in a bowl.
- Pour egg mixture on top of veggies and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes and then broil until golden.
How to Store and Can You Freeze?
Veggie frittata stays fresh refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Freeze baked frittata after it has cooled. Place in a gallon size Ziploc bag and let out air as much as possible. Freeze for up to 3 months.
More Healthy Recipes with Eggs to Try
- Egg muffins with sun dried tomatoes and feta cheese.
- Sweet potato egg casserole with spinach is SO GOOD!
- Breakfast egg muffins with broccoli and quinoa.
- Healthy breakfast sandwich – with eggs, veggies and whole wheat bun.
Frittatas are so easy and healthy! This Vegetable Frittata Recipe incorporates any leftover veggies and cheese, then bake in a cast iron skillet with dozen eggs. That’s it, my friends!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: North American
- 5 cups vegetables, chopped
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 12 large eggs
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Preheat 10″ cast iron skillet on medium heat and swirl oil to coat. Add onion and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add vegetables and garlic, and cook for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In the meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl add eggs, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes; whisk well.
- Turn off heat under the skillet. Sprinkle veggies with half of the cheese, pour egg mixture on top and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 20 minutes, then broil until golden brown.
- Let vegetable frittata cool for 10 minutes, then slice into 8 pieces and serve warm or cold.
Store: Refrigerate in a container for up to 5 days.
Freeze: Freeze baked frittata after it has cooled. Place in a gallon size Ziploc bag and let out air as much as possible. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Good vegetables for making frittata are cooked (sweet) potatoes, broccoli, pepper, asparagus, peas, tomato, corn, mushrooms.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.