This Crustless Spinach Quiche is custardy, low carb and made with few simple ingredients. So easy to pull together for healthy breakfast ideas or brunch, this spinach quiche will melt in your mouth. So good!
Easy Spinach Quiche
Crustless spinach quiche is simply amazing! Wonderfully fluffy and custardy inside, full of spinach and even with as little cheese as I added, it came out absolutely fantastic.
The flavor and texture is surprisingly melt-in-your mouth! Amazing what simple ingredients can do.
No one will miss the crust. I don’t remember last time I made a quiche with a crust. Plus homemade quiche has so much less sodium than store-bought. Place it on the table and you will hear even from veggie haters.
Ingredients for Spinach Quiche
- Large eggs: You will need 7 large eggs or a combination of eggs + egg whites. 1 egg white = 3 tbsp egg whites, so go from there. 🙂
- Frozen or fresh spinach: If you use frozen chopped spinach in a packet, make sure to thaw it for at least 3 hours. You can also chop about 11 oz box of baby spinach and saute until wilted. Not to sound snobby but I prefer to buy organic spinach as leafy greens are one of most heavy in pesticides produce that doesn’t wash off.
- Cheese: You will need a combination of crumbly salty cheese like feta and soft cheese like Mozzarella or cheddar that melts and binds quiche ingredients.
- Milk: I used whole milk which is creamy and doesn’t add as many calories. You can use any unsweetened milk. It makes quiche custardy.
- Onion, garlic, salt and pepper are pretty much only spices and flavorings I use. Fresh food and ingredients don’t need much!
How to Make Crustless Spinach Quiche
I use 9 inch pie baking dish. Mine might be a bit deeper but it wasn’t full to the brim.
- Squeeze liquid from spinach with your hands over the sink working in batches. If using fresh spinach, saute until wilted first and then squeeze. You can save juice for a smoothie or spinach soup (especially if it’s organic).
- Saute onion and garlic in a few tablespoons of oil just until translucent to give veggies flavor.
- Whisk egg mixture consisting of eggs, milk, salt and pepper.
- Combine everything by adding parsley, cheeses, squeezed spinach and sauteed onion and garlic to the bowl with eggs. Mixture will be thick.
- Bake: in preheated 350 degrees F oven for 50 minutes or until no more jiggly inside.
- Let cool for 10 minutes, cut into 8 slices and serve.
- Shredded cheese: You can use any cheese that melts well including smoked gouda would add nice smoky flavor.
- Soft cheese: In place of feta feel free to use more cottage cheese or ricotta.
- Mushrooms: Throw in a few cups of sliced mushrooms when sauteing onion and garlic.
- Bacon: Crumbled cooked bacon is the best. My friend, Lisa from Downshiftology has great recipe how to cook bacon in the oven – so much less mess!
- Sausage: Dice up cooked sausage or saute fresh sausage with onion and garlic. Then throw in the bowl with other ingredients.
- No fresh herbs – no problem: I usually have herbs on hand and adding them to a quiche reminds me of Greek spanakopita. Buy you can totally skip them.
How to Serve, Store and Reheat Quiche
We love any quiche warm or cold! This makes it great for meal prep, picnic food or make ahead recipe. Sign me up. 🙂
To make ahead, assemble quiche and refrigerate right in the pie dish covered for up to 2 days. Then warm up dish on the counter for about 30 minutes before baking to prevent dish from cracking and bake as per recipe.
To serve quiche, I guess it is a giant version of egg muffins. Enjoy for breakfast, lunch or snack on the go. Quiche is a great hassle free addition to your Easter, Mother’s Day or Holidays table. No dough to work with – sign me up again. 🙂
Store leftovers in the refrigerator in airtight container for up to 5 days. The best way to reheat quiche (if you have to because it taste absolutely amazing cold) is in a microwave. You can do so in the oven at 350 degrees F which would take about 20ish minutes.
More Favorite Spinach Recipes
More Favorite Egg Recipes
- Instant Pot egg bites
- Healthy frittata
- Egg sausage casserole
- Cottage cheese egg bites
- Crustless zucchini pie
- Spaghetti squash quiche
You may also love this collection of healthy egg recipes!
Crustless Spinach Quiche
- 10 oz frozen chopped spinach thawed
- 7 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk I used 3.25%
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp of oil for frying
- 1/2 cup parsley dill or green onion, finely chopped
- 2 oz feta cheese crumbled
- 3 oz soft cheese like Mozzarella or cheddar shredded
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Misto cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray pie baking dish with cooking spray.
- Squeeze spinach with your hands in batches over the sink and set aside.
- Preheat large skillet on low-medium heat and swirl oil to coat. Add onion and garlic; cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In the meanwhile, in a large bowl add eggs, milk, salt, pepper and whisk well.
- Remove skillet from heat and transfer cooked onion and garlic to a bowl with egg mixture. Also add squeezed spinach, parsley, feta and Mozzarella cheese and stir well to combine with spatula.
- Transfer mixture to previously prepared baking dish and bake for 50 minutes or until the middle isn’t jiggly anymore.
- Remove from the oven and let quiche cool off and set for about 10 minutes. Then slice into 8 slices and enjoy warm or cold! This makes it great food for meal prep, picnic food or make ahead recipe.
- Store: Refrigerate leftovers in airtight container for up to 5 days. Reheat (if you have to because it taste absolutely amazing cold) in a microwave. Or in the oven at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes.
- Freeze: For up to 3 months.Save liquid from squeezing spinach for smoothies or soups (especially if it’s organic).
- Regular 9″ pie dish works.
- If you would like to use all or some egg whites, 1 large egg = 3 tbsp egg whites.
- In place of feta feel free to use more cottage cheese or ricotta.
- Throw in a few cups of sliced mushrooms when sauteing onion and garlic.
- Add crumbled cooked bacon.
- Skip fresh herbs if you don’t have any.