Spaghetti squash is a vegetable with a noodle like flesh and a sweet taste. It can easily replace pasta in a casserole (spaghetti squash casserole), make a low carb “noodle” boat (spaghetti squash boats Tex Mex) and now form a crust in this meaty and delicious gluten free spaghetti squash quiche. Why not?!
You don’t have to squeeze the liquid out or any extra steps. Once pressed in a pie plate, spaghetti squash easily replaces traditional flour crust without extra carbs. Cheesy, meaty and so full of flavour. It melts in your mouth. Warm or cold, I love it both ways. I’m a huge fan of mushrooms and combined with leafy healthy green like kale, you can’t go wrong. This combination will blow your mind!
Besides swapping traditional crust for a spaghetti squash one, I replaced some cheese with cottage cheese and swapped a few eggs with egg whites. More protein and less fat. Healthy fat is good for you but again, in moderation. You won’t miss any cheese in this healthy spaghetti squash quiche.
How to Make Spaghetti Squash Quiche
Start off by baking some squash. It will be a bit undercooked and you will have to use some muscles to separate it into strands. The longer the squash cooks, more liquid it releases. And we don’t want to end up with a hot mess as the quiche bakes with a filling inside.
Then saute your mushrooms. Nice golden brown colour, just enough to release the flavour. Then kale. I added spices to kale on purpose, do not skip this important step to an aromatic spaghetti squash quiche. Trust me, I tested this recipe 3 times.
Whisk eggs, cottage cheese, cheese and spices together. Do not worry, cottage cheese will melt and incorporate with other ingredients beautifully. Nothing will curdle.
Then form a crust with your hands. Just press spaghetti squash to the sides and bottom of a pie dish. I used a deep pie dish but regular one will work just fine. I added a few spices to the crust as well. Nothing complicated – salt, black pepper and thyme. Can’t stand bland food.
Then mix kale and mushrooms with the liquids. Just until combined. Pour into the crust and press with spatula to dunk all vegetables in the liquid. This way the veggies won’t dry out as the quiche rises. You could even open the oven after 20 minutes of baking and press again.
I baked my spaghetti squash quiche for 50 minutes. Check with a knife and if it comes out clean, your quiche is ready.
Like with any casserole or pie, let it cool to ensure proper slicing, about 30 minutes. You might have to lift the edges of the crust with a knife a bit. Alternatively, you could spray the pie dish edges with a cooking spray before adding the ingredients to it.
Spaghetti Squash Quiche with Kale and Mushrooms
Kale and Mushroom Spaghetti Squash Quiche Recipe is healthy and gluten free quiche with spaghetti squash crust. No flour and this quiche holds together.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 80 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- 1 medium spaghetti squash, about 2.5 lbs
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp onion or garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups kale, chopped & packed (I used 1 bunch of Lacinato kale)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup egg whites
- 1 cup (4 oz) any cheese, shredded (I used 3 cheese blend)
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 2 tsp onion or garlic powder
- 1 + 1/2 tsp dried thyme, divided
- 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper, divided
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut squash in half and place face side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil. Bake for 30 minutes, remove from the oven and set aside to cool until safe to handle.
- In the meanwhile, preheat large skillet on high heat and spray with cooking spray. Add mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a medium bowl. Return skillet to medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add kale, 1/2 tsp thyme, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper and saute until kale is wilted. Transfer to a bowl with mushrooms and set aside.
- To make the crust, seed spaghetti squash and separate flesh into strands using a fork. Add to a medium bowl along with thyme, onion/garlic powder and salt, and mix to combine. Transfer to a deep pie dish and press evenly on the bottom and sides using your hands. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs with egg whites and whisk for 30 seconds. Add cheese, cottage cheese, previously cooked mushrooms and kale, 2 tsp onion/garlic powder, 1 tsp thyme, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper and mix to combine. Pour into prepared crust and flatten with spatula to make sure all vegetables are dunk in the liquid. Bake in 400 degrees F oven for 50 mins or until the knife inserted comes out clean. Let quiche cool down for at least 30 minutes. Cut into 8 slices and serve hot or cold.
Store: Refrigerate covered for up to 3 – 4 days. Do not freeze.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.