Cheesy Zucchini Casserole uses 3 lbs of zucchini and is so easy, quick, and low carb. So much flavor from garlic, herbs, and Parmesan cheese. Yum.
Friends, I have super-duper easy zucchini casserole for you. It is cheesy in moderation, full of flavor and all that fiber and vitamins are so good for you. Zucchini is healthy, of course, if we do not cover it with 3 cups of cheese.
In fact, I’ve used zucchini 101 different ways it feels like, and I never get sick of it; for crustless zucchini quiche, stuffed zucchini boats, baked zucchini fritters, and a zucchini potato bake – there are tons of ways to enjoy this nutritious squash.
Health benefits of zucchini include:
- Vitamin A – improves eye health.
- Vitamin C – boosts the immune system and guards against asthma.
- Fiber – lowers cholesterol.
- And potassium – lowers blood pressure.
Most of us can relate to not know what to do with zucchini come to July-August. Zucchini is deceiving. One small plant grows so big and produces a crazy amount of zucchini.
Today you can put 3 lbs of garden zucchini to use in this squash and zucchini casserole. 3 lbs, whoa. Probably 33 lbs more to go.
But don’t worry, after lunch and dinner are over, you’re not done with the zucchini yet. You can also hide it into tons of desserts too. Just try these healthy zucchini brownies, lemon zucchini muffins, healthy chocolate zucchini bread, or zucchini banana bread! You can’t even tell they have zucchini in them!
Squash vs. Zucchini
In America, we have yellow and green zucchini. Yellow is squash, but it’s still zucchini, and you can use it in this recipe. There is also small round flat squash – it works too.
Chopping vs. Grating Zucchini
If I can, I prefer to chop vs. grate anything. Saves so much time. I see no need to grate zucchini for a casserole.
Cut zucchini into about 1-inch pieces. It is enough to bake small pieces of zucchini to end up with the best casserole.
- We will not be using 3-4 cups of cheese because, frankly it defeats the purpose of eating more zucchini.
- No breadcrumbs, heavy cream, flour, or even more terrifying Bisquick.
- Just simple veggies, herbs, and a bit of cheese.
About Squeezing Zucchini
Zucchini is made of 90% water. If not more. Which is perfect for a casserole to make it moist without extra calories. But it is a bit too much moisture, some of which we need to get rid of. Easy-peasy. This is the same way we do it when baking zucchini into this almond flour zucchini bread too.
- Colander: Place chopped zucchini in a colander lined with a kitchen towel.
- Salt: Sprinkle with 3/4 teaspoon salt and toss with your hands.
- Rest: Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Squeeze: Squeeze in a towel over the sink for a few minutes. At first, there won’t seem much liquid but keep twisting at the top of the towel, turning and squeezing the ball.
Eggs and What Cheese?
- Eggs: 2 eggs in the recipe are to help smooth and bind all ingredients. If you have an allergy or simply do not have any on hand, feel free to skip eggs.
- Cheese: As for other cheese besides Parmesan, I used smoked Gouda. Any hard cheese with a strong flavor profile is great. For example, Gruyere, Havarti, old aged cheddar, Tex Mex. This way, you will use less cheese.
How to Make Zucchini Casserole
- Whisk eggs with spices: Whisk eggs in a bowl. Add garlic, onion, spices, and 1/2 amount of cheese.
- Add squash: Then toss squeezed zucchini in the mixture and transfer to sprayed baking dish.
- Bake uncovered for 25 minutes at 375 degrees F. You do not want to bake zucchini casserole covered because it will be extra watery and unappealing.
Tip: I used an abundance of young onions this time. That’s why you see green.
Can I Make It Ahead or Freeze?
Make ahead: You can prepare zucchini casserole for up to 1 day ahead. Refrigerate assembled and covered. Do not forget to uncover before baking. If you see some accumulated liquid at the bottom of the baking dish it is OK.
Do not freeze: You cannot freeze zucchini casserole. Not before, not after baking. Because of that 90% water content.
What to Serve With?
Let’s be honest, this low carb zucchini casserole will not keep anyone full for longer than 1 hour. We need to bulk up the meal with additional protein.
My recommendations would be:
More Zucchini Recipes
I do love a good healthy zucchini casserole. Even more time-consuming one is so much fun to make with a glass of wine. Eating all those vegetables makes wine + cheese almost guilt-free.
- Zucchini tomato bake
- Zucchini lasagna
- Chicken zucchini casserole
- Zucchini quiche
- Low carb parmesan zucchini sticks
- sautéed zucchini
- Chicken, zucchini, and corn
Or feel free to browse through my entire list of all zucchini recipes!
Hope you enjoy this zucchini casserole. I would love to hear how you liked it in the comments below. My kids gave it 5 stars. Would you?
- 3 lbs zucchini chopped into 1" pieces
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp basil dried
- 1 tsp oregano dried
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup Gouda Gruyere or Tex Mex cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and spray large 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place chopped zucchini in a colander lined with kitchen towel and sprinkle with salt. Toss with your hands and let sit for 10 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, in a large bowl whisk the eggs. Add onion, garlic, olive oil, basil, oregano, pepper, red pepper flakes and 1/2 amount of both cheeses. Whisk.
- Squeeze zucchini in a towel over the sink for a few minutes. At first there won't seem much liquid but keep twisting at the top of the towel, turning and squeezing the ball.
- Add squeezed zucchini to the bowl with mixture, stir to coat and transfer to previously prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 of both cheeses.
- Bake uncovered for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve warm or cold.
Store: Refrigerate covered for up to 3 days.
Make Ahead: You can prepare zucchini casserole for up to 1 day ahead. Refrigerate assembled and covered. Do not forget to uncover before baking. If you see some accumulated liquid at the bottom of the baking dish it is OK.
Do not freeze. Not before, not after baking.
- As for other cheese besides Parmesan. I used smoked Gouda. Any hard cheese with strong flavor profile is great. For example, Gruyere, havarti, old aged cheddar, Tex Mex. This way you will use less of cheese.
- I used an abundance of young onions this time. That's why you see green.
- You do not want bake zucchini casserole covered because it will be extra watery and unappealing.
Recipes and images are a copyright of ifoodreal.com. It is against the law to republish recipes anywhere including social media, print and all world wide web. Nutritional info is provided for informational purposes only and to the best knowledge.