These slow cooker teriyaki chicken drumsticks mean juicy dark meat simmered in teriyaki sauce from scratch, topped with green onions and sesame seeds, and served with long grain brown rice. Asian food is one of my favourite comfort foods: healthy ramen noodle salad, teriyaki chicken and cauliflower and healthy instant ramen. And the best part is it’s quick and healthy. And kids usually love Teriyaki anything.
Years ago I used to buy bottled teriyaki sauce from Costco, full of refined sugar and hard to pronounce ingredients. When I started to eat clean, I ditched it of course. Now I have discovered organic non-GMO cornstarch and have been enjoying making different healthy versions of popular sauces. Teriyaki being on top of the list.
When you first whisk all sauce ingredients together, it might look nothing like teriyaki to you. Don’t worry, this slow cooker teriyaki chicken will come together. I also browned chicken for extra flavour and it took only 10 minutes.
Feel free to use chicken thighs instead of drumsticks. Make sure meat is trimmed of any fat and skin removed. I personally love dark meat and find it sweeter and juicier than white meat.
Clean Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken Drumsticks
- 6 tbsp soy sauce (I used Bragg's Liquid Aminos)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 + 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 3 lbs or 12 chicken drumsticks, skinless (thighs would work too)
- 3 tbsp green onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- In a large slow cooker, whisk to combine soy sauce, honey, water, cornstarch, garlic and ginger.
- Preheat large non-stick skillet on low - medium heat and add chicken. Cook for 3 - 4 minutes per side, turning once. I first dipped the drumsticks in the previously prepared mixture in a slow cooker, therefore it caramelized and charred a bit. It's optional though. Transfer chicken to a slow cooker, cover and shake it around to coat the chicken in mixture. Cook on Low for 6 - 8 hours or on High for 3 hours.
- When chicken is ready, turn off the slow cooker, open the lid and wait for 10 minutes to let the sauce thicken as steam evaporates. Using tongs or spatula, gently move the drumsticks around to coat in the sauce. Because you might be cooking for different lengths of time therefore accumulated liquid in the slow cooker will differ. I cooked on High for 3 hours and added 3.5 tbsp cornstarch in the beginning, and another tbsp afterwards. You can always adjust the thickness of the Teriyaki sauce by adding a bit more cornstarch and cooking it on High covered for 10 minutes or so. If the sauce is too thick, add a bit water. Serve chicken hot with brown rice, garnished with sesame seeds and green onions.
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving = 2 drumsticks:
Total Fat: 5.8 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 902.6 mg
Total Carbs: 18.4 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.3 g
Protein: 25.3 g
WW Points+: 6