Recipe #1 in Healthy Meal Prep, our monthly series, is Teriyaki Chicken Meal Prep. Lean chicken breast and bright crispy snap peas coated in healthy teriyaki sauce, served with brown rice. This lunchbox will make your co-workers jealous!
A note on the teriyaki sauce. It is lighter in colour than you are used to because it’s healthy. That’s all I have to say haha. No, but seriously, darkness comes from high amount of soy sauce a.k.a sodium and brown sugar. To fit our clean tastebuds things had to be lightened up. I swear you wouldn’t be able to eat it otherwise. I made my kids eat the first test and they were cringing and chugging down water all night.
Then crunchy snap peas are coated in same healthy teriyaki sauce. You can cook them more or less, depending on the amount of crunch you enjoy in vegetables. I have to mention that everything is cooked in same pan while brown rice is simmering nearby. I even cut chicken in the tray it came in. I don’t enjoy cleaning cutting board and knife from meat as much as you don’t.
You can replace brown rice with quinoa, or snap peas with broccoli. This recipe yields 4 meal prep containers. Do your math and make more. Not less, it’s meal prep.:)
Make This Recipe and Win Cosori Pressure Cooker
1. Throughout February make any iFOODreal’s recipe as a meal prep and take a picture.
2. Then post on Instagram, Facebook page or Facebook group using #ifoodreal and #ifoodrealmonthly hashtags (you must use both).
3. Bonus entry – tag at least 2 friends in the comments of your post.
Easy-peasy. Read full rules here.
How to Make Teriyaki Chicken Meal PrepPrint
Teriyaki Chicken Meal Prep
Healthy Teriyaki Chicken Meal Prep with lean chicken breast and bright crispy snap peas coated in healthy teriyaki sauce, served with brown rice. This lunchbox will make your co-workers jealous!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1 lb boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1” pieces
- 3 cups snap peas
- 3 tbsp soy sauce (I used Bragg liquid aminos)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 6 tbsp water
- 1 tsp rice or white vinegar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 large garlic cloves, grated & divided
- 2 tsp ginger, minced & divided
- 1 green onion sprig, finely chopped
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 tsp avocado oil, divided
- Cook brown rice as per package instructions.
- In the meanwhile, cut chicken using scissors right in the packaging tray. Preheat large ceramic non-stick skillet on medium-high heat and swirl oil to coat. Add chicken and cook for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, add soy sauce, maple syrup, water, vinegar, and cornstarch; whisk well (cornstarch settles to the bottom quickly, so make sure to whisk well again before adding to the skillet). To the skillet, add 1 garlic clove, 1 tsp ginger, half of the sauce and cook until sauce has thickened and is sticking to chicken (about 3 minutes). Divide between 4 glass meal prep containers
- Return skillet to medium heat and add remaining 1 tsp of oil, snap peas, 1 garlic clove and 1 tsp of ginger; cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Add remaining sauce (whisk again). Cook until sauce has thickened, about 1 minute. Divide between 4 meal prep containers. Then add rice to each container. Sprinkle chicken and snap peas with sesame seeds and green onion.
Store: Refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.