Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry is a simple and healthy 30 minute meal made with chicken breast, broccoli and a sweet tangy stir fry sauce your whole family will love!
Chicken and Broccoli
Even if you’re not on the lookout for a healthy version of chicken and broccoli stir fry and are just wanting something quick, easy and delicious, then this dish is also for you!
If you have never had stir fry before you are in for a real treat! The aromas of the garlic and ginger are enough to make your mouth water.
Adding in the crunchy broccoli and that ooey gooey stir fry sauce, you’ve added a whole other layer of amazing flavour.
Stir fry is made with simple ingredients already in your kitchen and with very little time and effort. It is a perfect solution for busy weeknights and leftovers are great to have for lunch the next day.
Ingredients for Chicken and Broccoli
- Chicken breast: Boneless cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Broccoli: Chopped into florets as little or as big as you’d like.
- Seasonings: Grated ginger, garlic, and black pepper.
- Oil, for frying: Some great options are avocado oil, which has a high smoke point (it takes a higher amount of heat before it starts losing any of the nutritional benefits) which is great for stir fry. Cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil (a good quality olive oil) is also great, as is virgin coconut oil.
- Toasted sesame oil: Adds distinct flavor to the sauce.
- Soy sauce: To increase the nutritional value of this dish, try replacing with Bragg’s Liquid Aminos. It is a great alternative to soy sauce as well as tamari.
- Honey or maple syrup: For more traditional dark in color sauce, substitute with brown sugar.
- Cornstarch: To thicken the sauce.
- Broth, low sodium: If you have made your own at home, now is a great time to use some!
How to Make Chicken and Broccoli
There is a full recipe card below.
- Prep: Cut your chicken and broccoli as well as grate your garlic and ginger to have everything ready on hand ahead of time.
- For the chicken and broccoli sauce: Whisk sesame oil, soy sauce, honey, broth, cornstarch, and black pepper in a small bowl and set aside.
- Cook the chicken: Preheat a large skillet or wok with a bit of oil. If you do not own a wok, a non-stick large skillet will work just as well. Add chicken breasts and cook uncovered then remove onto a plate and set aside.
- Cook the broccoli: Return skillet or wok to the ideal temperature and add remaining oil, garlic, and ginger, stirring frequently being careful as garlic and ginger can burn quickly. Add the broccoli and continue to cook.
- Add the sauce: Whisk sauce once again to combine everything before adding to the skillet or wok. The cornstarch would have settled to the bottom of the bowl by now. Stir and let the sauce come to a boil and continue cooking until it thickens.
- Combine all ingredients: Add the chicken and stir to combine.
Optional: Sprinkling of sesame seeds over the top of the dish can add extra elements of texture, flavour and garnish to your dish.
How to Serve, Store and Reheat
Storing: This will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2 days. I do not suggest freezing this dish as over time it will lose taste and essential nutrients. Not to mention, due to the sauce, it may become quite mushy.
Reheating: To reheat, simply toss back into a skillet with a little bit of oil until heated all the way through.
Tips for Best Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Use cast iron skillet or hot wok. Regular skillet doesn’t get as hot.
- Make sure all your ingredients are ready to go before cooking.
- Use only cold broth to make the sauce. It prevents cornstarch from clumping.
- Boneless and skinless breasts or thighs are key.
- Broccolette will work like a charm.
- Brown sugar in place of honey makes sauce darker.
More Stir Fry Recipes
Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry:
- 1 lb chicken breast boneless cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 lb 6 cups broccoli, chopped
- 1 tsp ginger grated
- 1 large garlic clove grated
- 2 tbsp oil for frying
Chicken and Broccoli Sauce:
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce I use Bragg's liquid aminos
- 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 4 tsp cornstarch
- 1 cup any broth low sodium
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Make sure broccoli is chopped and garlic and ginger are grated before starting to cook. Things happen quickly once you get going.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sesame oil, soy sauce, honey, broth, cornstarch and black pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat large ceramic non-stick skillet or wok on medium-high heat and add 1 tbsp of oil.
- Add chopped chicken breasts and cook uncovered for 7 minutes, turning once. Remove onto a plate and set aside.
- Return skillet or wok to medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 tbsp of oil, garlic and ginger. Cook for 30 seconds, stirring frequently.
- Add broccoli and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Whisk sauce well (cornstarch settles fast at the bottom) and add to the skillet or wok. Stir and let sauce come to a boil, then cook for 2 minutes until it has thickened.
- Add chicken and stir to combine.
Store: Refrigerate covered for up to 2 days. Do not freeze.
Recipes and images are a copyright of ifoodreal.com. It is against the law to republish recipes anywhere including social media, print and all world wide web. Nutritional info is provided for informational purposes only and to the best knowledge.