Healthy crockpot butter chicken, an ultimate comfort food made lighter, healthier and in a slow cooker for added convenience. And despite the name, this dish contains not a teaspoon of butter, not there is anything wrong with a bit of butter in your diet. I don’t love all Indian food but I love butter chicken! And this healthy version of it delivered – creamy, rich and a tad sweet. Just like the original but so much healthier.
You can taste a hint of ginger and traditional Indian spices, garam masala and curry powder, in this creamy sauce. Coconut milk prevails over the tomato sauce which makes this slow cooker butter chicken taste truly creamy. Also make sure you try my slow cooker chicken tikka masala.
It is freezer friendly and make ahead meal.
How to Make Crockpot Butter Chicken
Saute garlic, onion and ginger root for 30 seconds. Add garam masala, curry powder, chili powder, salt, pepper, tomato paste, coconut milk, flour and whisk to combine. Cover and let cook for 3 – 4 minutes or until thickened.
Transfer to a slow cooker, add chicken and stir. Cover and cook on High for 3 hours or on Low for 6 hours.
In case you are wondering how spicy this butter chicken is, it’s not. I would say it’s mild. My kids ate it and that was the point. You can definitely spice things up with some red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper.
As for serving suggestions, I would recommend some basmati brown rice or quinoa to go with this crockpot butter chicken. I also suggest some fresh cilantro and/or scallions for garnish. It adds some fresh zest to a rich and creamy sauce.Print
Crockpot Butter Chicken
Healthy Crockpot Butter Chicken is Indian slow cooker recipe made healthy with coconut milk, tomato sauce and spices.
- Prep Time: 7 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours 4 minutes
- Total Time: 3 hours 11 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 3 – 3.5 lbs boneless & skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2” pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 inch ginger root, minced
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 14 oz can coconut milk, full fat
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup cilantro/scallions, chopped (for garnish)
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- Preheat medium skillet on medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Add garlic, onion and ginger root. Stir frequently for 30 seconds.
- Add garam masala, curry powder, chili powder, maple syrup, salt, pepper, tomato paste, coconut milk, flour and whisk to combine. Cover and let cook for 3 – 4 minutes or until thickened.
- Transfer to a slow cooker, add chicken and stir. Cover and cook on High for 3 hours or on Low for 6 hours.
- Serve hot on a bed of brown rice or quinoa, garnished with cilantro/scallions.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days or freeze leftovers for up to 3 months.
Make Ahead: Do Step 1 and 2, refrigerate in a container for up to 3 days. When ready to cook, start with Step 3 and cook as per further instructions.
Freezer Meal: Follow the recipe up to final cooking step and freeze uncooked. Thaw in the fridge for 24 hours before cooking. Cook on Low for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.