Healthy Taco Recipes are an easy way to combine a variety of ingredients and flavors into one simple meal. With healthier ingredient swaps you can avoid empty calories without sacrificing great taste!
Taco night is never complete without delicious sides like easy guacamole recipe, Mexican kale salad or Mexican bean salad.
Table of Contents
- Tips for Making Best Ever Healthy Taco Recipes
- The Best Healthy Taco Recipes
- Ground Chicken Tacos
- Grilled Chicken Tacos
- Buffalo Chicken Tacos
- Ground Turkey Tacos
- Ground Beef Tacos
- Carne Asada Tacos
- Fish Tacos Recipe
- Grilled Fish Tacos
- Shrimp Taco Recipe
- Instant Pot Pork Carnitas
- Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Tacos
- Bang Bang Shrimp Tacos
- More Healthy Tex Mex Recipes to Try
- 10 Best Healthy Taco Recipes: Fish Tacos Recipe
Beef, chicken, turkey, or even fish, there is no shortage of healthy taco recipes on this list! These rival any food truck with wholesome ingredients, easy preparation, and substantial flavors.
There is nothing better than a delicious taco with it’s different flavor and texture combinations, from tender proteins, to crunchy shells and vibrant vegetables. Try easy chicken tostadas next!
Healthy doesn’t have to mean low flavor. In fact, these healthy tacos are so good you’ll forget they’re good for you, kind of like healthy chocolate cake!
So dig in, this collection of healthy tacos will become a new favorite in your rotation of healthy dinner ideas.
Tips for Making Best Ever Healthy Taco Recipes
- Fresh is best. Top your tacos with fresh cilantro, crunchy lettuce, or freshly grated or crumbled cheese.
- Keep corn tortillas on hand for making tacos whenever the mood strikes!
- Meal prep ingredients for busy nights! Pre chop veggies or plan to use leftover Instant Pot chicken breast.
- Variety of toppings! Whether your favorite is pico de gallo or salsa guacamole, what you top your taco with can be almost as important as what’s in it!
You can even make healthy freezer meals for an even easier healthy taco night success!
Just follow any of these best healthy taco recipes that are loaded with lean proteins, colorful vegetables, and then topped with fresh ingredients! Healthy means and looks different to each and every one of us.
If you need dairy free, swap out the cheese and learn how to cut an avocado.
Gluten free sensitive? Make your healthy taco with corn tortillas vs. flour tortillas.
Need vegetarian tacos? Swap the meat for crispy fried tofu or Instant Pot black beans.
Adapt these to be your healthy tacos and enjoy!
Homemade taco seasoning recipe is my favorite way to season tacos. Not only does making your own blend save money, but you can adapt it to your family’s preference.
Smoked paprika is another favorite, try it on oven baked chicken breast, too!
Really this comes down to preference! Fresh cilantro and crumbled cotija cheese are our family favorites, but we have also been known to use leftover healthy coleslaw. Salsa, black beans, Greek yogurt, diced bell peppers or even pickled jalapenos like we use in air fryer nachos also frequently appear at dinner with tacos.
Simple lettuce salad, mango black bean salad, or any of these healthy salad recipes are my go-to’s for a complete meal!
The Best Healthy Taco Recipes
Whether it’s Cinco de Mayo or not, these healthy tacos are deliciously addictive! Make sure to make extra for leftovers and transform them into healthy taco pasta.
Ground Chicken Tacos
Made in one skillet with over 1 lb. of vegetables and lean ground chicken, these Ground Chicken Tacos are a saucy favorite! They are ready in 30 minutes for a balanced dinner that will be a new family favorite.
Grilled Chicken Tacos
Marinated Grilled Chicken Tacos are cooked indoors on a cast iron skillet so you can enjoy healthy taco recipes year round! Serve with Instant Pot black bean soup during the winter or refreshing avocado corn salad in the summer.
Buffalo Chicken Tacos
When I am not making my easy buffalo chicken chili recipe or healthy buffalo chicken dip, I am making Buffalo Chicken Tacos to satisfy that craving! Drizzled with a healthy blue cheese Greek yogurt sauce these are to die for at dinnertime.
Ground Turkey Tacos
Flavorful and one of the most requested dinners at my house, Ground Turkey Tacos are ready in only 30 minutes! Simple seasoning, tomato paste, and low sodium broth keep the ground turkey moist and tasty. Love ground turkey? Try these other best ground turkey recipes!
You might also love ground turkey taco soup or chicken tortilla soup!
Ground Beef Tacos
Homemade Ground Beef Tacos seasoned with an easy mixture of southwest spices and cooked to perfection! The hardest things about these tacos is just choosing what toppings will go on top. Check out taco skillet next.
Carne Asada Tacos
These street tacos couldn’t be any easier to make at home as part of your healthy taco recipes! Carne Asada Tacos are made with tender carne asada steak, guacamole, savory onions, and creamy cheese. They are perfect with any Mexican-inspired dinner.
Fish Tacos Recipe
Crispy white fish topped with a delicious lime crema makes these Healthy Fish Tacos the best! To serve, I like to set up a DIY taco bar so each family can customize their taco their way. In the summer, I like to serve mango salsa recipe, too.
Grilled Fish Tacos
Flavorful grilled white fish with crema and a mango salsa makes these Grilled Fish Tacos taste like you are right on the beach at your favorite surf and turf joint! Serve with shrimp ceviche for even more ooo’s and ahh’s!
Shrimp Taco Recipe
Whether you serve guests or just your family, this Shrimp Taco Recipe with Slaw is ready in only 15 minutes! Only easier might be air fryer shrimp.
Instant Pot Pork Carnitas
Juicy pulled pork with crispy ends and ready in under 1 hour and 30 minutes! Instant Pot pork carnitas make Mexican street food tacos easy to make in your own kitchen. Top with pickled onions and serve with crunchy tortillas.
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Tacos
Three ingredients and 30 minutes is all you need to make the best Instant Pot Tacos. Serve how you like, with a side of Instant Pot refried beans or even on a healthy taco salad!
You might also love Instant Pot taco soup or Instant Pot chicken tortilla soup!
Bang Bang Shrimp Tacos
Easy Bang Bang Shrimp Tacos are creamy, sweet, spicy, and healthier than the Bonefish grill classic. You will have this 30 minute meal on repeat!
More Healthy Tex Mex Recipes to Try
- Mexican meatballs
- Tex Mex chicken and zucchini
- Tex Mex sweet potato skillet
- Black bean quinoa casserole
- Instant Pot rice and beans
10 Best Healthy Taco Recipes: Fish Tacos
- 1 lb any firm white fish I used cod, cut into 1″ cubes
- 1/2 cup any flour I used almond flour
- 2 tsp taco seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp avocado or coconut oil for frying (or whatever you use)
- 9 corn or flour tortillas
Fish Taco Sauce:
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt 2%+ fat
- 1/4 cup mayo I use avocado oil
- 1 lime juice of
- 1/2 tsp taco seasoning
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pinch of cayenne
- Ground black pepper to taste
Fish Taco Toppings:
- Red onion
- Dredging for fish: In a medium bowl stir together flour, taco seasoning, garlic powder, cornstarch, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Fish taco sauce: In a small bowl stir together yogurt, mayo, lime juice, taco seasoning, cayenne and black pepper. Set lime crema sauce aside.
- Toppings: Chop and prepare the toppings.
- To cook fish: Preheat large ceramic non-stick skillet on medium-high heat and swirl 1 tbsp of oil. In batches, dredge pieces of fish in flour mixture and fry for 2-3 minutes per side or until crispy and brown. Fish cooks fast, so don't over cook. Do not overcrowd the skillet – helps to keep fish crispy. Remove onto a plate.
- To assemble tacos: Warm tortillas in a cast iron skillet on high heat for 10 seconds per side and pressing on with spatula. Fill each tortilla with 3-4 pieces of fish, add toppings and drizzle with sauce. Serve immediately with your favorite toppings (please see suggestions in notes).
Yum! Can’t ever have enough delicious taco recipes!
Can’t wait to hear what you try!