Instant Pot Chicken Tacos are the most easy tacos with fresh or frozen chicken breasts. 30 minute healthy dinner idea I promise will become your go-to!
Only 2 ingredients are cooked in a pressure cooker. Mom’s win. 🙂
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Tacos
Oh my word! Instant Pot chicken tacos that you can cook after work. Chicken comes out juicy, tender and flavorful with 2 ingredients.
You can even make these Instant Pot shredded chicken tacos with frozen chicken breast. It takes 15 minutes to cook from frozen. Yes, frozen (see below how)! I swear frozen chicken turned me into Instant Pot crazy lady. A healthy one.
If you wanna be “crazy” like me, check out all of my healthy Instant Pot recipes.
Ingredients You Will Need
- Chicken breasts or thighs: Boneless and skinless chicken breasts or thighs would work. Both will shred, thighs are dark meat and more fatty and juicy. Although chicken breast is far from dry in this taco recipe. Keep reading.
- Salsa: Salsa is the secret ingredient to cook chicken in to add a lot of flavor quickly.
- Taco seasoning: Low sodium taco seasoning adds even more flavor without extra sodium. Otherwise, you will need a lot of salsa.
- Fixings: Literally anything you have in the fridge. Meat is that juicy and flavorful!
- Corn or whole wheat tortillas: Corn tortillas are gluten free and add more authentic taco flavour. My family loves flour tortillas cause they fit more and hold together better.
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
If you are new to pressure cooking, check out my Instant Pot guide. It explains what happens, why and how to avoid failures.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot yet but are thinking about buying one, I explain which Instant Pot to buy in my humble opinion.
- Cook chicken in salsa: That’s right, just add 2 ingredients and no water. Meat and salsa will release enough water to build up pressure. No burn, promise!
- How long to cook? 12 minutes for fresh and 15 minutes for frozen chicken. Just make sure pieces are separate if using frozen, otherwise it won’t cook through where meat is touching.
- Release pressure right away using quick release method and shred chicken in a bowl. Rehydrate meat by adding 1/2 cup juices from Instant Pot.
- Assemble tacos. That’s it!
These chicken tacos are quite healthy if you don’t add a lot of cheese and use corn tortillas instead of flour ones.
- Shredded romaine/iceberg lettuce or even kale.
- With a side of Instant Pot corn.
- With super easy guacamole and refried beans.
- Diced avocado, tomato and red onion.
- Fruity salsa like mango salsa or pineapple salsa.
- Shredded Mexican cheese or crumbled cotija (feta) cheese.
Serve Instant Pot chicken tacos with warmed up corn or flour tortillas.
To warm up tortillas:
- Preheat cast iron or non-stick skillet really well.
- A drop of oil makes tortillas more yummy. 🙂
- Cook 1-2 minutes per side or until charred.
- If you have gas/propane stove, you can warm them up directly on a burner.
Tips for Best Chicken Tacos
- Frozen chicken: Yes, you can. Make sure to separate frozen pieces – helps to put in a bowl with warm water for 5 minutes. Not one blob. Cooking time will be 15 minutes and Instant Pot will take a bit longer to come to pressure.
- You can double the recipe and keep same cook time.
- Recipe is good for any size Instant Pot, including 3 quart.
- Fresh salsa will work as well.
Hope you enjoy this easy Instant Pot chicken taco recipe and share with friends and family!
More Mexican Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot chicken tortilla soup
- Instant Pot burritos
- Instant Pot rice and beans
- Instant Pot carnitas
- And for more dinner ideas see 30 healthy Instant Pot recipes.
Did you know we have entire Youtube channel dedicated to healthy Instant Pot recipes and tips? My goal is to help you become confident with your Instant Pot by demonstrating each delicious foolproof recipe in step-by-step videos.
Make sure to subscribe and hit the Bell icon not to miss new videos.
Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- To any size Instant Pot, add chicken breasts, sprinkle with taco seasoning and add salsa on top.
- Close the lid, set pressure vent to Sealing and press Pressure Cooking on High for 12 minutes for fresh or 15 minutes for frozen.
- Display will say ON, Instant Pot will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure, you will see a bit of steam coming out from a release valve, then float pin will rise and countdown will begin.
- After release pressure right away by turning valve to Venting position, wait until the float pin drops down and open the lid.
- Remove chicken breasts into a medium bowl and shred with 2 forks. Add 1/2 cup cooking liquid from Instant Pot and stir.
- Warm up tortillas on a hot skillet for 1 minute or so per side. Or directly on a gas burner.
- Assemble tacos with desired toppings.
Store: Refrigerate leftover shredded chicken (without toppings) in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- Make sure frozen chicken pieces are separated - not one blob. It helps to place them in a bowl with hot water for 5 minutes.
- You can double the recipe and keep same cook time.
- Fresh salsa should work as well.
Recipes and images are a copyright of ifoodreal.com. It is against the law to republish recipes anywhere including social media, print and all world wide web. Nutritional info is provided for informational purposes only and to the best knowledge.