Healthy broccoli cheese soup made silky smooth using only whole foods like potatoes and butternut squash. Am I good or am I good?! Butternut squash is bright orange that makes a healthy replacement for 2 cups of neon artificially coloured cheddar cheese. And potatoes, those white spuds, naturally they contain so much starch that no cups of flour, butter or heavy cream are necessary to produce world’s best, silky smooth and delicious healthy broccoli and cheese soup.
Not that I’m against flour or butter, but the fact that we can replace those animal products, that we all should be eating less of, with 8 cups of vegetables is mind blowing to me. 2017, you are amazeballs!
How to Make Healthy Broccoli Cheese Soup
How do you like my videos? Alex has been so busy re-designing the website, I had to become a videographer. New things coming your way in January, we are getting there. It’s gonna look pretty, it will be super easy to find anything, and we will have new content like challenges, monthly themes and lots of videos.
In the meanwhile, cozy up with some soup: yours truly here, healthy chicken wild rice soup, healthy carrot soup, or slow cooker vegetarian lentil soup. And healthy chili recipe, have you seen the new video? It’s been raining cats and dogs in PNW and we even saw a first dust of snow (thanks, La Nina).Print
Healthy Broccoli Cheese Soup
Healthy Broccoli Cheese Soup is same easy, creamy and comforting ultimate recipe using whole foods and a small amount of real cheese. No flour or heavy cream.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 22 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 5 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 3 cups (2 large) potatoes, cubed
- 4 cups any stock, low sodium
- 3 cups any milk (I used unsweetened almond)
- 5 cups (1 lb) broccoli, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 oz sharp cheese, shredded (cheddar or I used Dubliner Kerrygold)
- Preheat large heavy bottom pot or dutch oven on medium heat and melt butter. Add garlic and onion, cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add butternut squash, potatoes, stock and milk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low-medium, cover and cook for 7 minutes.
- Add broccoli and salt, bring to a boil, cover and cook for 4 more minutes. Turn off heat.
- If you like chunky soup (I do), remove broccoli into a bowl with a slotted spoon. Using an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth and silky. Return broccoli and add 4 oz of cheese; stir until cheese has melted. Serve hot sprinkled with remaining cheese.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Freeze: Fully cook, cool completely and freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw on a stovetop covered on low.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.