Penne Pasta with broccoli, tomato sauce, garlic, onion and oil cooked in one pan and topped with cheese for an easy healthy pasta recipe.
Broccoli Pasta Recipe
This penne pasta recipe with broccoli is my-go-to 20 minute dinner for kids when my fridge is empty and they won’t eat my quinoa skillet. It’s affordable, quick, healthy and versatile – use any firm veggies you have on hand/your kids like. Frozen vegetables work too.
Oddly enough my kids love broccoli, not over cooked. Cauliflower, carrots and snap peas are great options as well. You could also add grape tomatoes, peas and corn, why not?!
I added only 3/4 cup cheese, just enough to make the dish creamy and cheesy. Dried and fresh herbs, tomato sauce and good quality pasta take care of the rest. This dish was creamy and delicious.
How to Make Broccoli and Penne Pasta
Sauce consists of onion, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper and tomato sauce. Pasta cooks right in the skillet. That’s right, just add water. If it gets too thick the next day, add more boiled water. I always have it in my kettle.
Isn’t it beautiful?! After pasta is cooked, add your vegetables of choice and cheese. We like cooked but still crunchy broccoli but you can increase cooking time for softer vegetables.
More One Pot Pasta Recipes
- Pasta with sun dried tomatoes and broccoli
- Tuscan chicken pasta
- Ground turkey and broccoli pasta
- Taco pasta with pumpkin
Broccoli and Penne Pasta Recipe
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 14 oz can tomato sauce low sodium
- 4 cups veggie or chicken stock low sodium
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp rosemary fresh or dried
- 1/2 tsp thyme dried
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper ground
- Pinch of hot pepper flakes
- 3 cups penne pasta uncooked
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup 3 oz Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup parsley/basil finely chopped
- Preheat large deep skillet on medium heat and add olive oil, onion and garlic. Saute until translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomato sauce, stock, balsamic vinegar, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper and hot pepper flakes. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Add pasta and stir again.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
- Add broccoli, cover and cook for 3 minutes for crispy broccoli and 5 - 6 minutes for softer vegetables.
- Turn off heat, add cheese and stir until melted.
- Garnish with parsley or basil and serve hot.
Store: Refrigerate covered for up to 2 days.
Recipes and images are a copyright of ifoodreal.com. It is against the law to republish recipes anywhere including social media, print and all world wide web. Nutritional info is provided for informational purposes only and to the best knowledge.