Instant Pot Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes is easy, healthy and tasty one pot meal. Entire family friendly dinner is prepped, cooked, served and stored in same 2 bowls.
Mashed Potatoes and Meatloaf in Instant Pot
Guys, this Instant Pot meatloaf and mashed potatoes recipe is mind blowing. So easy, turkey meatloaf is juicy, mashed potatoes creamy and kids love this one pot dinner.
You will skip turning on the oven, stove and washing a few bowls. You can make meatloaf and mashed potatoes earlier in the day and press Keep Warm for hot dinner later.
I often make meatloaf in Instant Pot on the weekend and go shopping. Boys eat not junk food and I come home to a warm dinner too.
You can even refrigerate meatloaf and mashed potatoes leftovers in the same 2 pans. And then reheat them in the same 2 pans in Instant Pot. Not to mention that you mix, cook, slice and serve entire dinner in same 2 pans!
OK, Olena, what are these magic pans?
What Are These Pans?
I bought a set of these stainless steel pans with a sling on Amazon last month and I just love them! I have been dreaming of making 2 things separate from each other but at same time in my beloved Instant Pot.
Both pans and lid are made of stainless steel. With or without holes lid – doesn’t matter. You can also steam in these pans. But boy, do I have more one pot meal ideas for them though.
How to Cook Meatloaf in Instant Pot
To the bottom pan, add potatoes and water. In the top pan, add ground turkey, egg, oats, balsamic vinegar, dried herbs, garlic powder, salt and pepper and mix with your hands. Shape meat mixture into oval or round meatloaf shape. Do not add water and just cover with a lid.
Now we are ready to cook everything. Stack the pans with meatloaf on top, place in a sling (trivet) and then inside your electric pressure cooker. You want your pans to sit comfortably on top of each other. So, if you feel like there are too many potatoes, remove some and save in a bowl with cold water for another recipe.
How long to cook meatloaf and potatoes in Instant Pot? Cook on High Pressure for 25 minutes. Lux models coon only on high pressure, so press Manual button. Duo has low and high pressure, so make sure. After release pressure using Quick Release.
Now we can mash potatoes and add glaze to the meatloaf. With a mitt on, remove pans on a towel and open them.
Bottom pan with potatoes: Drain water. Add butter, milk, salt and pepper. Mash.
Top pan with meatloaf: Squirt some ketchup on top and spread with a spatula.
Can I Make Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes without Pans?
Yes, you can. You will have to use aluminum foil. I personally do not cook in aluminum foil because it leaches chemicals into food. But it is your choice and I will not judge you. Honestly.:)
Place potatoes and water on the bottom of Instant Pot. Then put trivet that came with Instant Pot on top. Doesn’t matter if it has handles or not. And then shape meat mixture into a meatloaf on top of double layered foil and then shape it into a bowl.
I also seen others cooking food in oven proof baking dishes and bowls inside Instant Pot. I have not tried but if you have and feel comfortable doing so – go for it.
Can I Use Ground Beef?
Yes, you can use your favorite ground meat like ground beef or chicken.
Can I Use 2 Lbs of Meat to Make Meatloaf?
Yes, you can use 2 lbs of ground meat to make a meatloaf. I would recommend to shape it into a round the size of a pan. To make sure it cooks through. Same cooking time.
Your Instant Pot meatloaf is ready when internal temperature reaches at least 150 degrees F.
Can I Cut Recipe in Half?
Yes, you can cut this Instant Pot meatloaf and mashed potatoes recipe in half if cooking for 2 or 1. Cut ingredients in half but keep same cooking time.
More One Pot Meals in Your Instant Pot
Did you know we have entire Youtube channel dedicated to healthy Instant Pot recipes and tips? My goal is to help you become confident with your Instant Pot by demonstrating each delicious foolproof recipe in step-by-step videos.
Make sure to subscribe and hit the Bell icon not to miss new videos.
- Instant Pot chicken alfredo
- Instant Pot ground turkey quinoa bowls
- Instant Pot ground beef stroganoff
- Instant Pot chili
Instant Pot Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes
Instant Pot Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes is juicy, healthy and easy one pot meal. Entire family friendly dinner is prepped, cooked and served in same 2 bowls.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Ukrainian
For Meatloaf (Top Pan):
- 1 lb ground turkey, beef or chicken
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup any oats
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1–2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp dried herbs like oregano, basil and thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp ketchup
For Mashed Potatoes (Bottom Pan):
- 2 lbs potatoes, cubed
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Into 6 quart or 8 quart Instant Pot, add 1 cup water. Please note for 3 quart Instant Pot you need to use these mini pans and cut ingredients in half (same cook time).
- Bottom pan of these stackable stainless steel pans: Add potatoes and water.
- Top pan: Add ground turkey, egg, oats, balsamic vinegar, dried herbs, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Using your hands mix well. Shape meat mixture into oval or round meatloaf shape. Do not add water.
- Place lid on a pan with meatloaf. Then stack it on top of pan with potatoes. You want top pan to sit comfortably. If too many potatoes, remove some and save in a bowl with cold water for another recipe.
- Place both pans in a trivet (sling) that came with pans, secure it and place inside Instant Pot.
- Close the lid, set pressure release valve to Sealing and press Pressure Cook on High Pressure or Manual for 25 minutes.
- After release pressure using Quick Release method – turn valve to Venting immediately after cooking.
- With a mitt on, remove pans from Instant Pot on a towel and open them.
- Bottom pan with potatoes: Drain water. Add butter, milk, salt and pepper. Mash.
- Top pan with meatloaf: Squirt some ketchup on top and spread with a spatula.
- Serve hot. That’s it! Wasn’t this easy?!
Store: Refrigerate leftovers in the same pans for up to 2 days. To reheat pop in Instant Pot and steam for 3 mins with a cup of water.
You can cut recipe ingredients in half if cooking for 2 or 1. Same cooking time.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.