Instant Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff is a healthy and easy 30 minute pressure cooker family meal. Pasta, meat and sauce are cooked in one pot.
Instant Pot Hamburger Stroganoff
Instant Pot ground beef stroganoff is a busy weeknight saver.
We have been eating a lot of pasta in Instant Pot lately because it is quick and easy. Maybe a bit too much but that’s what comes with recipe testing. Anyways…
With this Instant Pot hamburger stroganoff, instead of traditional chunks of beef I used ground beef. It allows pressure cooker stroganoff to become one pot meal.
Pasta cooks within minutes and then we add whole milk and plain yogurt for a healthy and creamy sauce. Yes, this is healthy hamburger stroganoff.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Stroganoff
- Ground beef, turkey or chicken: I used Instant Pot frozen ground beef recipe method to thaw my ground turkey. Then I was out of white onion so I used green onion. See, it is such an easy dinner.
- Sliced mushrooms: Brown mushrooms are more flavorful than white mushrooms but you can use any.
- Stock, pasta and spices: Any pasta works, just cook time will be a bit less for gluten free pasta.
- Milk and yogurt: For maximum creaminess, use whole milk and yogurt. You can also use sour cream.
- Parsley for garnish.
How to Make Instant Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff
There is detailed recipe card below.
- Saute ground meat: You want to saute ground meat first to break it into pieces. You can’t skip this step and add frozen or a blob of ground meat because it will burn and stroganoff will not turn out well.
- Then saute onion and garlic: Add all to the meat and cook for a few minutes.
- Deglaze the pot with stock: It is an important step to prevent Burn, especially if you see browned bits on the bottom of the pot. Sometimes it happens and sometimes not.
- Add pasta and stir. Unlike with 95% other Instant Pot recipes where I tell you not to stir, with stroganoff I want you to stir. It helps to prevent pasta from sticking.
- Cooking time for pasta varies on a type of pasta: White or whole wheat pasta – cook for 7 minutes. Gluten free pasta – cook for 5 minutes.
- Release pressure right away using Quick Release: Pasta and meat are cooked. If pasta is a bit too firm to your liking, close the lid and let it sit for 10 mins.
- Add milk and yogurt to make creamy sauce: You never want to cook with dairy in Instant Pot because it will scorch. Because all tastes and pasta differ, start with 1 cup of yogurt and 1 cup of milk. Stir, cover for 10 minutes and let stroganoff absorb the flavors. Open and see how you like the consistency of the sauce. Adjust to taste.
How to Serve, Store and Reheat Stroganoff
Serving: I like to add more yogurt to each individual plate and stir right in it. This way stroganoff has more of an authentic taste. My choice of garnish would be parsley but all I had was green onion. Dill would be fantastic too.
Storing and reheating: Stroganoff can be stored in inner pot with lid if you have room in the fridge. Or in airtight container. It is good for up to 3 days. Reheat with a splash of milk or broth right in inner pot or other small pot on the stove. Simmer on low while stirring a few times and until warmed through.
It doesn’t freeze well: Unfortunately not. Cooked pasta does not freeze well. You can cut recipe in half if feeding 2-3 people. Same cooking time.
Tips for Best Instant Pot Stroganoff
- Ground beef: I would recommend to drain fat from ground beef during browning.
- Undercooked pasta: If pasta appears undercooked or your like very soft pasta, close the lid and let stroganoff sit for 10 mins. The heat will cook pasta further.
- To double the recipe: Yes, you can double the recipe if you are cooking with 8 quart pressure cooker. Same cooking time. If you have 6 quart or less Instant Pot, I would not recommend to double the recipe. Cook in 2 batches if need to.
- More help: If you are new to pressure cooking, you will really appreciate my Instant Pot guide. It explains you how cooking in Instant Pot works and what happens.
More Instant Pot Pasta Recipes
- Instant Pot chicken alfredo
- Instant Pot mac and cheese
- Instant Pot parmesan chicken pasta
- Instant Pot spaghetti
- Instant Pot lasagna
Instant Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff
- 1 lb ground beef, turkey or chicken
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1 lb brown mushrooms sliced
- 1 lb 4 cups dry short pasta
- 1 cup plain yogurt 2%+ fat content
- 1 cup 2% or 3.25% milk
- 3 tbsp parsley finely chopped (for garnish)
- On Instant Pot, press Saute and wait until display says Hot. Takes 3-5 mins. Swirl oil to coat if cooking ground chicken or turkey. No need for oil if cooking with ground beef.
- Add ground meat of choice and cook for about 5 minutes, constantly breaking into small pieces and stirring. Add onion and garlic half way through.
- Add broth, thyme, salt, pepper and stir to deglaze the pot if you see burnt bits on the bottom.
- Press Cancel and add mushrooms and pasta. Stir.
- Close the lid and move pressure valve to Sealing, and press Pressure Cook on High for 5 minutes.
- Release pressure using Quick Release method – turn pressure valve to Venting. Pasta might appear a bit undercooked only on top, don't worry.
- Add 1 cup yogurt and 1 cup milk, stir, cover and let stroganoff sit for 10 minutes to create the sauce.
- Open the lid and adjust thickness to taste with more milk and/or yogurt, if desired.
- Sprinkle with parsley, stir and serve warm.
Store: Refrigerate leftovers for up to 3 days, in inner por or airtight container. I would not recommend to freeze.
Reheat with a splash of milk or broth right in inner pot or other small pot on the stove. Simmer on low while stirring a few times and until warmed through.
Recipes and images are a copyright of ifoodreal.com. It is against the law to republish recipes anywhere including social media, print and all world wide web. Nutritional info is provided for informational purposes only and to the best knowledge.