Instant Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff is healthy and easy 30 minute pressure cooker family meal. Pasta, meat and sauce are cooked in one pot. Kids love it and it’s so easy!
Instant Pot Hamburger Stroganoff
Instant Pot ground beef stroganoff is a busy weeknight saver.
We have been eating a lot of pasta in Instant Pot lately because it is quick and easy. Maybe a bit too much but that’s what comes with recipe testing. Anyways…
With this Instant Pot hamburger stroganoff, instead of traditional chunks of beef I used ground beef. It allows pressure cooker stroganoff to become one pot meal. Pasta cooks within minutes and then we add whole milk and plain yogurt for a healthy and creamy sauce.
Yes, this is healthy hamburger stroganoff.
There are very few simple and basic ingredients to make easy Instant Pot stroganoff.
Ground beef, turkey or chicken. I used Instant Pot frozen ground beef recipe method to thaw my ground turkey. Then I was out of white onion so I used green onion. See, it is such an easy dinner.
Brown mushrooms are more flavorful than white mushrooms but you can use any. And then stock, pasta and spices.
And whole milk (forgot to picture) and plain yogurt. And of course, parsley for garnish would be great, which I didn’t have.
How to Make Instant Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff
First of all, if you are new to pressure cooking, you will really appreciate my Instant Pot guide. It explains you how cooking in Instant Pot works and what happens.
You want to saute ground meat first to break it into pieces. You can’t skip this step and add frozen or a blob of ground meat because it will burn and stroganoff will not turn out well.
Then saute onion and garlic with meat for a few minutes. Add spices and stock, and deglaze the bottom of the pot. It is an important step to prevent Burn, especially if you see browned bits on the bottom of the pot. Sometimes it happens and sometimes not.
How Long to Cook Pasta?
Then you add pasta and stir. Unlike with 95% other Instant Pot recipes where I tell you not to stir, with Instant Pot hamburger stroganoff I want you to stir. It helps to prevent pasta from sticking.
Cooking time for pasta varies on a type of pasta:
- White or whole wheat pasta – cook for 7 minutes.
- Gluten free pasta – cook for 5 minutes.
After you released pressure using Quick Release method, pasta and meat are cooked. We are going to add milk and yogurt to make creamy sauce. You never want to cook with dairy in Instant Pot because it will scorch.
Because all tastes and pasta differ, start with 1 cup of yogurt and 1 cup of milk. Stir, cover for 10 minutes and let stroganoff absorb the flavors. Open and see how you like the consistency of the sauce. Adjust to taste.
Here Is How I Like to Serve Pasta
Traditionally stroganoff is made with sour cream. We replace sour cream made with many additives and high in fat with healthier plain Greek or regular yogurt.
I like to add more yogurt to each individual plate and stir right in it. This way stroganoff has more of an authentic taste.
My choice of garnish would be parsley but all I had was green onion. Dill would be fantastic too.
Can I Double the Recipe?
I used my 8 quart Instant Pot to make stroganoff. As you can tell it makes a lot of food. I would say about 6 very generous servings. So, keep that in mind. Yes, you can double the recipe if you are cooking with 8 quart pressure cooker. Same cooking time.
If you have 6 quart or less Instant Pot, I would not recommend to double the recipe. Cook in 2 batches if need too. Or buy another Instant Pot. I’m serious.:) I have 3. Wondering which Instant Pot to buy?
Can I Freeze Leftovers?
Unfortunately not. Cooked pasta does not freeze well. You can cut recipe in half if feeding 2-3 people. Same cooking time.
Can I Use Ground Turkey?
Yes. I tried the recipe with both ground beef and turkey. I would recommend to drain ground beef during browning though. Any ground meat works.
What Yogurt Is Best?
I like to buy 3.5% plain yogurt. It is creamy enough and yet doesn’t cost as much or is as hard to find as Greek yogurt.
I mean you can use sour cream if you want to.
More Healthy Instant Pot One Pot Dinners
Did you know we have entire Youtube channel dedicated to healthy Instant Pot recipes and tips? My goal is to help you become confident with your Instant Pot by demonstrating each delicious foolproof recipe in step-by-step videos.
Make sure to subscribe and hit the Bell icon not to miss new videos.
- Instant Pot chicken alfredo
- Instant Pot ground turkey quinoa bowls
- Instant Pot spaghetti
- Instant Pot lasagna
- Instant Pot meatloaf and mashed potatoes
- Instant Pot chicken and potatoes
Instant Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff
Instant Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff is healthy and easy 30 minute pressure cooker dinner idea. Pasta, meat and sauce are cooked in one pot your pressure cooker. Kids love it and it’s so easy!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: North American
- 1 lb ground beef, turkey or chicken
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup any broth, low sodium
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb brown mushrooms, sliced
- 1 lb (4 cups) dry short pasta
- 1–2 cups plain yogurt, 2%+ fat content
- 1–2 cups whole milk
- 3 tbsp parsley, finely chopped (for garnish)
- On Instant Pot, press Saute and wait until display says Hot. Takes 3-5 mins. Swirl oil to coat if cooking ground chicken or turkey. No need for oil with ground beef.
- Add ground meat of choice and cook for about 5 minutes, constantly breaking into small pieces and stirring. Add onion and garlic half way through.
- Add broth, thyme, salt, pepper and stir to deglaze the pot if you see burnt bits on the bottom.
- Press Cancel and add mushrooms and pasta. Stir.
- Close the lid and move pressure valve to Sealing, and press Pressure Cook on High for 7 minutes.
- Release pressure using Quick Release method – turn pressure valve to Venting.
- Add 1 cup yogurt and 1 cup milk, stir, cover and let stroganoff sit for 10 minutes to create the sauce.
- Open the lid and adjust thickness to taste with more milk and/or yogurt if desired.
- Sprinkle with parsley, stir and serve warm.
Store: Refrigerate leftovers for up to 3 days. I would not recommend to freeze.
You can use gluten free pasta and cook it for 5 minutes.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.