These healthy lemon zucchini muffins were light, lemony and so moist. Made with whole wheat flour, plain yogurt and zucchini. Extremely delicious!
My neighbour makes this recipe every summer which in turn inspired this recipe of mine, followed by banana zucchini muffins a year later. Of course, my end result ended up being a completely different thing. Aren’t many of us known for that?!
I made muffins instead of a loaf. Just because my kids LOVE muffins way more. Mine do not look as yellow because of the whole wheat flour but are as delicious. Clearly, I wouldn’t use icing sugar for the glaze, so I came up with my own topping that packs in more lemon zest and coconut flakes. Coconut + lemon = good idea.
Lemon Zucchini Muffins
Lemon Zucchini Muffins Recipe made healthy with whole wheat flour, plain yogurt, zucchini and no refined sugar.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 12 muffins 1x
- 2 large eggs, lightly whisked
- 1/2 cup yogurt, plain (2% +)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or honey
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (melted) or avocado oil
- 1 large lemon, juice and zest of
- 2 cups shredded zucchini, lightly squeezed
- 2 tsp baking powder, aluminum free
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/3 cups whole wheat or spelt flour
- 1/4 cup rolled or quick oats
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 tbsp avocado or coconut oil (melted)
- 1 large lemon, zest of
- 3 tbsp coconut flakes, unsulphured & unsweetened
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line muffin tin with liners or use silicone muffin tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, add eggs, yogurt, maple syrup, oil, lemon juice + zest, zucchini, baking powder + soda, and salt; whisk well to combine. Add flour and stir gently to mix. Do not over mix.
- In a small bowl, add Topping ingredients and mix with a spoon.
- Using large ice cream scoop, fill 12 openings with batter and spoon mixed Topping on top. Bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let muffins cool in the tin for at least 60 minutes before transferring onto a cooling rack to cool off completely.
Store: Store in a glass airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 3 – 4 days, in a fridge for up to a week or in a freezer for up to 3 months.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.