These cauliflower mashed potatoes came out FANTASTIC!!! On a scale of 1 to 10, cauliflower taste = 0.5. Whoever came up with an idea for a cauliflower mash as a faux mashed potatoes is genius! You could easily swap it for mashed potatoes any time. I love mashed potatoes and eat them occasionally but I would make this recipe for a lighter alternative.
Life is about balance, and not deprivation. These came out fluffy and light. Take 15 minutes to make and require minimum ingredients.
Just like with cauliflower biscuits and cauliflower breadsticks, mashed cauliflower potatoes do not taste like mashed potatoes because…cauliflower is not potatoes, that is correct. But it tastes pretty darn amazing!
How to Make Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
Slow cooker cauliflower mashed potatoes is the same idea as with a stovetop method, just cooked in a slow cooker. During holidays and big gatherings, I like to make slow cooker cauliflower mashed potatoes to offer a lighter alternative without making my schedule and stove over crowded.
This video will give you an idea on the process and texture.
All you have to do do is cook cauliflower until fork tender.
This wonderful buttery waterfall…This was only a tablespoon, it was a lot and I was surprised how much is a tablespoon of butter. I love butter in mashed potatoes and would never replace it with anything else. Organic, preferably grass-fed butter (if you can find) is the best. It is totally healthy, in moderation.
And look, you can take cauliflower mashed potatoes even further just in 20 minutes =>>> Cauliflower Shepherd’s Pie.
How to Make Cauliflower Shepherd’s Pie
Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
- 2.5 - 3 lbs (medium) cauliflower head
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp butter (I used salted) or olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Separate cauliflower into florets and cut in smaller chunks. In a medium pot, combine cauliflower, garlic and enough cold water to cover the vegetables. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for about 10 minutes or until cauliflower is fork tender. Drain.
- Add butter or olive oil, salt and ground black pepper to taste. Using an immersion blender (a food processor), process until very smooth or desired consistency. Adjust salt and pepper to taste, if necessary. Serve hot just like you would serve mashed potatoes.
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Amount Per Serving = 3/4 cup:
Total Fat: 3.5 g
Cholesterol: 7.8 mg
Sodium: 396.3 mg
Total Carbs: 14.8 g
Dietary Fiber: 7.1 g
Protein: 5.6 g
WW Points+: 2