Slow cooker cauliflower mashed potatoes would come in handy during the holidays or any other gatherings. It gives everyone an option to have a lighter meal and yet not to be a burden for a cook. Usually kids and men prefer the real deal and girls going gladly for cauliflower mashed potatoes, and guys using it as a side to mashed potatoes.
I don’t think kids will ever switch and that’s OK.
I have prepared cauliflower mashed potatoes numerous times, and I truly love them. They are creamy, fluffy and butter covers up majority of cauliflower taste. Using slow cooker, turned up same results and today I will share how it went.
How to Make Slow Cooker Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
- I decided that 4 lbs of cauliflower is the perfect amount for a table full of turkey, salads, stuffing and mashed potatoes.
- Remove the leaves, rinse and chop into large pieces. Discard the cores – I felt like they are not worthwhile.
- Add cauliflower and garlic to a slow cooker. Garlic adds flavour, we don’t discard it but rather puree with cauliflower later.
- Add enough cold water to cover cauliflower, I can’t stress this point enough. Stir with a spoon to help cauliflower “sink”. If you don’t, cauliflower will turn brown and that is not something tasty, trust me.
- Drain cauliflower really well, in a colander! Don’t be lazy and try to drain it with a lid tiny bit open on the pot. It will mess up cauliflower mashed potatoes’ consistency.
- And last but not least, be patient and puree cauliflower for 4-5 minutes, it will come around.
Slow Cooker Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
Slow Cooker Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes Recipe made creamy, buttery and lighter without taking up space on a busy stove.
- Prep Time: 7 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 7 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- 4 lbs cauliflower (2 medium heads)
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp salt*
- Handful of chives, finely chopped
- Cold water
- Remove outer leaves, wash and chop into large pieces cauliflower (discard the cores).
- Add to a large slow cooker, along with garlic and enough water to cover (stir to make sure no cauliflower is sticking out). Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours.
- Drain cauliflower (and garlic – do not discard) in a colander really well (otherwise mashed cauliflower consistency will be off), return to a slow cooker, and add butter and salt. Stir to let butter melt faster and puree with an immersion blender until smooth. Be patient, it will take 4-5 minutes because cauliflower has no starch unlike potatoes.
- Add chives, stir and serve like you would serve mashed potatoes.
Store: Refrigerate covered for up to 1 day. Cauliflower mashed potatoes taste best consumed within 24-36 hours.
*Add more salt to taste if using unsalted butter (I used salted).
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.