Cauliflower Fried Rice is healthy, low carb and and so tasty kids will think it is real rice. Ready in 15 minutes with fresh or frozen cauliflower, this will become your new favorite stir fry.
Cauliflower Rice Stir Fry
Cauliflower fried rice is so easy, it makes to our Friday dinner menu. You know how I feel about cooking on a Friday night?! Just like you.
This cauliflower fried rice recipe with store-bought or homemade cauliflower rice, peas, carrots and simple seasonings won over even the kids. Boys thought it was real rice. Their eyes were a saucer size when I told them it’s cauliflower. There is a trick though. Keep on reading.
And by the way, you can use fresh or frozen cauliflower in 15 minutes. No thawing is required. 🙂
Ingredients You Will Need
- Medium head of cauliflower or 16 oz store-bought cauliflower rice
- Frozen or fresh peas and carrots
- Green onion
- Seasonings like soy sauce, honey and oil
- Garlic and ginger
How to Make Cauliflower Fried Rice
Just like with any stir fry, make sure all ingredients are ready before cooking fried rice. Stir fries cook fast.
- Saute onion, garlic, ginger, carrot and peas for 4-5 minutes in a large skillet. The larger skillet, the more “fried” vs. steamed vegetables will be. And since cauliflower is not real rice, we have a lot of vegetables going on here.
- Push vegetables to the side and add eggs. Cook until eggs are scrambled.
- Add cauliflower rice and cook until warmed through. The key is not to overcook cauliflower to start releasing water. Since we can eat cauliflower raw, it needs only 2-3 minutes.
- Push cauliflower rice to the side and add honey and soy sauce. If using thick honey, hot skillet is perfect for melting it. And sorry, bottom left and right pictures should be swapped.
Tips and Variations
- Do not thaw frozen cauliflower rice. In fact, if you defrost cauliflower rice before cooking, it will be soggy and make cauliflower stir fry a watery mess.
- Buy a few bags of fresh cauliflower rice and freeze. This way you can always make this yummy low carb dinner.
- If you have picky eaters, store-bought cauliflower rice coarse texture resembles more real rice because it is made with stems only.
- Make cauliflower chicken fried rice. Use ground chicken or finely chopped boneless chicken breast and saute first in a pan before adding other ingredients. Pork works the same way.
- For shrimp fried rice, cook dices raw shrimp first, remove onto a plate, follow the recipe and then add cooked shrimp back. If you use cooked shrimp, dice and add it at the end.
- Make rice spicy by adding a pinch of red pepper flakes or a few teaspoons of sriracha.
How to Serve and Store Cauliflower Fried Rice
First of all, sprinkle with a lot of green onion.
If you don’t add chicken like me, then baked chicken breast would be perfect to go with rice. Or if you are a fan of dark meat, I recommend these baked chicken thighs. Try grilled salmon or more Asian crispy honey garlic salmon.
You can refrigerate leftovers of cauli fried rice for up to 2 days. It won’t get soggy as all ingredients are pretty firm.
I would not freeze and reheat it though. That’s when things get watery and soggy. Just eat this low carb meal until it’s done. So good!
More Cauliflower Rice Recipes
- Cauliflower risotto
- Mexican cauliflower rice
- Cilantro lime cauliflower rice
- Thai cauliflower rice
- Cauliflower rice, chicken and beans
- Browse 25 cauliflower rice recipes.
Cauliflower Fried Rice
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tbsp ginger minced
- 1 large carrot diced
- 1 cup peas fresh or frozen
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 4 eggs large
- 16 oz bag of cauliflower rice fresh or frozen
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 onion sprigs finely chopped
- Preheat large ceramic non-stick skillet on medium-high heat and swirl oil to coat. Add onion, garlic, ginger, carrot, peas and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Push vegetables to the side and add eggs. Cook until scrambled, stirring constantly.
- Add cauliflower rice (don't thaw frozen one), stir and cook until warmed through.
- Push cauliflower rice to the side and add honey and soy sauce, stir well. Sprinkle with green onion and serve.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Recipes and images are a copyright of ifoodreal.com. It is against the law to republish recipes anywhere including social media, print and all world wide web. Nutritional info is provided for informational purposes only and to the best knowledge.