Quesadillas makes a quick lunch or dinner. I found a way to make them healthier with sprouted whole grain tortillas, only 2 tbsp of cheese and stuff as many veggies as I can. I left the choice of protein up to you – leftover chicken or turkey work great. I personally saw these quesadillas as a chance for a vegetarian dinner and used organic medium firm tofu.
Because of so much flavour going on here, the kids thought tofu was chicken. And tofu is pretty tasteless on its own and absorbs flavours like a sponge. I’m not a fan of baked tofu, it seems dry to me, but adding it to Indian, Latin and Asian dishes seems to work best.
I love the combination of sautéed onions and bell peppers. Salsa is a great shortcut to add flavour without numerous spices. They are all there, in one jar.
Once I practiced my flipping skills, I was good to go. Because these quesadillas are made lighter with less cheese, I found the best way to make them is by folding the tortilla in half. If you place a filling in between two tortillas, when you flip the quesadilla it is tricky to keep the filling inside. Enjoy!
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken, turkey or diced tofu* (I used 12 oz package of tofu)
- 15 oz can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 cup salsa verde or regular salsa
- 6 - 7 large whole wheat tortillas (use GF if necessary)**
- 3/4 cup any cheese, shredded (I used white cheddar)
- Cilantro, green onions, Greek yogurt & salsa, for toppings (optional)
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- Preheat large skillet on medium heat and add olive oil. Add onion and bell pepper; cook until softened, stirring occasionally. Add your choice of protein - chicken, turkey, tofu etc., black beans and salsa; cook for about 8 - 10 minutes or until salsa has reduced in half, stirring occasionally. You might want to increase heat to medium - high.
- Preheat another medium - large non-stick skillet on medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Place tortilla in a skillet, sprinkle half with 1 tbsp cheese, evenly spoon bean mixture on top and sprinkle with 1 tbsp cheese. Fold uncovered half over top and press lightly. You can also place a small plate on top for pressure during cooking process.
- Cook for a few minutes or until golden, carefully flip with a spatula and cook for another few minutes. You can make 2 quesadillas at a time. Transfer to a cutting board and cut in half. Repeat this step with remaining ingredients. Serve hot with your choice of toppings.
*Use leftover chicken or turkey, medium firm or firm tofu or even extra beans. You can quickly poach chicken breasts by boiling them for 20 minutes and saving the stock for soup. **I ended up using 7 tortillas but if you don't have another package handy (my tortillas come in a package of 6) just add more filling to each quesadilla and flip carefully.
Servings Per Recipe: 7
Amount Per Serving = 1 quesadilla (2 wedges):
Total Fat: 11.8 g
Cholesterol: 12.9 mg
Sodium: 667.5 mg
Total Carbs: 36.7 g
Dietary Fiber: 7.8 g
Protein: 17.1 g
WW Points+: 8