Oh-ehm-dzhee, guys. These spaghetti squash boats is one of the best dinners I made in a while (at least since my dinner eBook came out I haven’t posted many dinners)! The texture, the flavour, the smell and the calories…all to die for! What a great low carb dinner! And it wasn’t hard. I don’t do hard. I’m lazy.
I had these 2 spaghetti squash laying in my fridge and honestly had no idea what I was gonna do with them. I have made No Pasta Spaghetti Cheesebake before and wanted to try the boats. I’m always behind the cooking trends but after I mastered the Cauliflower Pizza, Overnight Oats, Chia Pudding and absolutely loved them, I thought to keep going. There is something about these latest rave health foods – yummy and healthy!
So, next come spaghetti squash boats. I always, and especially during my current #raceforabs, try to add more protein to all of my meals. I didn’t feel like chicken, so I knew beans would be in the picture today. All I had on hand was kidney beans but black beans would be perfect too. And then I took out onion. Of course garlic is a no brainer. And then I saw bell pepper. And as amazing smell started to take over my kitchen I thought of my Skinny Tex Mex Bean Quinoa Casserole and totally went that way.
And OMG was this meal delicious!!! Crunchy strands of spaghetti squash, almost like pasta but better, combined with beans, fresh cilantro and gooey cheese on top = heavenly! Just the best! And really this meal was so easy to prepare with tons of flavour, and low carb, vegetarian and gluten free. One of the best parts of these spaghetti squash boats is that you eat a lot and feel like you completely pigged out but you did not!
Seriously, try this recipe, you will love it! Just bake the squash for 45 minutes. In the meanwhile, quickly saute the veggies, fill the boats, sprinkle with cheese, bake for another 10 minutes and done. Not much mess and clean up. And how convenient are they to serve and take to work?! And aren’t they the cutest yellow food evah?!
Let me know if you are crazy about these as I am!
- 2 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 14 oz red kidney or black bean beans, drained & rinsed
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp diced canned chilis or jalapeños (or to taste)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped + more for garnish
- 1 + 1/2 cup Colby Jack/Tex Mex/Mozzarella cheese, shredded & divided
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut squash in half and scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Lay skin side down on a rimmed baking sheet, lined with parchment paper, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 45 mins or until cooked to a touch with a fork.
- In the meanwhile, preheat medium skillet on medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Add onion, garlic, bell pepper and saute for 4 - 5 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add beans, chili powder, chilis/jalapeños, tomato sauce, cilantro and stir. Remove from heat and add 1/2 cup cheese. Stir again.
- Remove baked spaghetti squash from the oven and let cool a few minutes. Fluff each squash "boat" with a fork releasing some of the strands, leaving the squash in a shell. Fill each "boat" with heaping 3/4 - 1 cup prepared bean/pepper etc. mixture and sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese each. Bake for additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve hot, garnished with extra cilantro.
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Amount Per Serving = 1 boat:
Total Fat: 7.9 g
Cholesterol: 22.7 mg
Sodium: 732.2 mg
Total Carbs: 38.8 g
Dietary Fiber: 10.4 g
Protein: 9.1 g
WW Points+: 6