Chicken Alfredo Spaghetti Squash Boats is comfort food made lighter and healthier. This dinner recipe is big on taste, but low on carbs without sacrificing flavor.
Spaghetti Squash Chicken Alfredo
But who can resist spaghetti squash boats with cheesy chicken in a creamy Alfredo sauce for a delicious, low carb dinner?!
In this recipe, tender spaghetti squash replaces traditional pasta and pressure cooker pasta.
Heavy cream is substituted for healthier Greek yogurt. But I promise, the taste remains creamy! The sauce is full of garlic and freshly grated Parmesan cheese flavors.
Spaghetti squash chicken alfredo is true fall comfort food made in a healthy way!
Ingredients for Chicken Alfredo Spaghetti Squash Boats
- Spaghetti squash: The recipe calls for 1 medium spaghetti squash. You can also use 2 smaller spaghetti squash.
- Chicken: I use Instant Pot shredded chicken breast. You can also use store bought cooked chicken (although it’s very high in sodium and usually preservatives), or grilled or poached chicken.
- Alfredo sauce: Greek yogurt, parmesan cheese, chicken stock, cornstarch, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Cheese: Mozzarella cheese for the topping.
How to Make Chicken Alfredo Spaghetti Squash Boats
There is a full recipe card below.
- Cook and prep spaghetti squash: Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Place cut side down on baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, cool and then separate strands with a fork. Set aside.
- Make alfredo sauce: First, saute garlic in a large non-stick skillet until fragrant. Then add chicken stock, cornstarch, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer until the sauce has thickened. Once removed from the heat, add parmesan cheese and greek yogurt. Stir well.
- Add chicken to sauce: Stir in the pre-cooked shredded chicken into the sauce, stirring well.
- Combine: Scoop chicken alfredo sauce on top of each spaghetti squash shell. Use a fork to combine the sauce and squash strands.
- Add topping: Just sprinkle the top of each shell with 2 tbsp of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake: For 10-12 minutes at 375 degrees F. Then, broil on High for 5 minutes. Serve hot.
How to Store and Reheat
Store: Leftovers can be placed in an airtight container for 1-2 days.
Freeze: Spaghetti squash does NOT freeze well.
Reheat: Reheat in a microwave or in the oven at 375 F for 15 minutes.
More Healthy Chicken Pasta Recipes
- Healthy Tuscan chicken pasta
- Slow cooker whole chicken and pasta
- Healthy chicken parmesan
- Chicken and whole wheat spaghetti
- Crockpot chicken spaghetti
- Chicken lasagna roll ups
Chicken Alfredo Spaghetti Squash Boats
- 1 medium spaghetti squash*
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 3/4 cup chicken stock low sodium
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup 2 oz Parmesan cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 cups 6 oz cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 1/4 cup Mozzarella cheese shredded
- Cook squash: Preheat oven to 400 F degrees F. Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop the seeds out.
- Place cut side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool until safe to the touch, about 15 minutes.
- Make sauce: In the meanwhile, preheat large skillet on medium heat and add olive oil. Add garlic and saute for a minute or two or until fragrant, stirring frequently.
- Add chicken stock, cornstarch, salt, pepper and whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for a few minutes until sauce has thickened a bit.
- Remove from heat, add Parmesan cheese and stir until smooth and cheese has melted.
- Add Greek yogurt and stir again until smooth. Add chicken and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Assemble and bake boats: Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F. Using a fork, separate spaghetti squash into strands leaving them inside the shells.
- Scoop chicken alfredo filling on top of each shell and gently move around with a fork to make the sauce settle deeper into the spaghetti squash.
- Top each shell with 2 tbsp mozzarella cheese, place in a baking dish and bake for 10 – 12 minutes and then broil on High for 5 more minutes.
- Stir the squash with a sauce a bit before serving and serve hot.
- Store: Refrigerate covered for up to 1 – 2 days. Do not freeze.