Brown Rice Pudding
A few years ago after we got back from Mexico, I wasn’t sure what to cook for breakfast. I got so tired of oats for breakfast and quinoa for dinner. Chia pudding and overnight oats didn’t seem as exciting as they used to be.
I thought of rice…
Is Rice Pudding Healthy?
I grew up in Ukraine on rice pudding for breakfast. We call any grain cooked with milk and sweetener “kasha”. We did not have brown rice then. Can you make rice pudding with brown rice? Of course. Today, if you make this simple brown rice pudding with almond milk, a bit of butter and vanilla. And then load with superfoods like chia seeds, raisins, frozen fruit and maple syrup. Of course, it is healthy!
Just look at all the goodness you will nourish your body with!
Tips for Best Healthy Rice Pudding:
- Don’t walk away from milk until it boils. This will save it from burning.
- Make ahead and refrigerate in a large baking dish for up to 5 days. Hello, easy weekday breakfasts!
- Make vegan with coconut oil instead of butter. So good!
- If you are on a dairy free diet, use cow’s milk. This sweet rice pudding will be even more creamy.
- Use fresh berries when in season and frozen other months to save money.
- Replace berries with frozen mango in winter (best price is at Costco).
How to Make Breakfast Rice Pudding
- Rinse brown rice with cold water really well, until water is clear; drain.
- In a medium pot, combine brown rice, 4 cups of milk, butter and vanilla extract. Bring to a boil and cook on low covered for 40 minutes. Stir a few times.
- Remove from heat and add 2 cups of milk, raisins and chia seeds. Stir and let the pudding set for 15 minutes. Transfer to a large baking dish and add toppings: berries, Greek yogurt and maple syrup. Stir again. YUM!
More Healthy Breakfast Recipes to Try
- Instant Pot steel cut oats – the best part is you don’t have to watch them!
- Quinoa breakfast bake – a nice change from oatmeal.
- Instant Pot yogurt with 2 ingredients you have control over.
- Also check out my other 35 healthy breakfast ideas.
Brown Rice Pudding
Tired of eggs and oats for breakfast? Try this Healthy Brown Rice Pudding Recipe for a week of easy breakfasts made with brown rice, almond milk, chia seeds, raisins, frozen fruit, maple syrup and Greek yogurt.
- Prep Time: 8 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 48 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: American Ukrainian
- 1 cup jasmine brown rice*
- 6 cups unsweetened almond milk, divided**
- 2 tbsp butter, salted***
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 3 cups frozen berries (cherries, blueberries, chopped strawberries, raspberries)
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (2% or higher)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or raw honey
- Rinse rice with cold water really well, until water is clear; drain. In a medium pot, combine rice, 4 cups of milk, butter and vanilla extract. Cover and bring to a boil (don’t walk away so milk doesn’t run away). Reduce heat to low and cook covered for 40 minutes or until rice is soft and tender, stirring a few times and making sure rice is not burning (good pots really help).
- Remove form heat and add 2 cups of milk, raisins and chia seeds. Stir and let the pudding set for 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a large baking dish and add berries, Greek yogurt and maple syrup, stir gently. Adjust anything to taste and enjoy this best healthy brown rice pudding for breakfast or a snack.
Store: Refrigerate covered for up to 5 days.
Adapted from this recipe. *I used jasmine but basmati or long grain brown rice would work. You can use short grain but consistency will be more mushy. **Any milk from a carton would work. I think coconut, rice or cashew milk would be amazing. ***If using unsalted butter add a pinch of salt.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.