Healthy Tomato Soup with canned tomatoes and gooey grilled cheese for a 10 minute healthy dinner. I just love how a meal comes together with “nothing” in this tomato soup recipe.
Healthy Tomato Soup
Alex called my healthy tomato soup “lazy borscht”.
I call it easy and and simply the best tomato soup from canned tomato sauce with grilled cheese for a 10 minute healthy dinner. A thought of roasting $4/lb January tomatoes for 30 minutes is terrifying. Just being honest myself.
In the last 5 months of our house renovations, I made this low calorie soup for lunch over 10 times. I assume very few of you are short on time because of sanding and painting. But most of you get home at 6 PM and “what’s for dinner?” is depressing you in like 1 second.
This will be the easiest glorified can of tomatoes you ever had!
- Diced tomatoes or tomato sauce
- Olive oil
- Any Italian dried herbs
- Balsamic vinegar (forgot to picture)
- Salt and pepper
Is Tomato Soup Healthy?
- Canned tomatoes are packed with vitamin C and fiber just like fresh and in season ones.
- Opposed to fresh tomatoes (shocking to me) canned tomatoes are an excellent source of the antioxidant lycopene that helps to lower the risk of heart disease, prostate cancer and poor eyesight.
- I recommend to buy organic tomatoes.
- Kirkland signature canned tomatoes come in cans without BPA.
- I accepted the fact we live in a real world and store bought organic jarred tomatoes are still a fantasy. Cans it is.
Is tomato soup healthy? Yes it is, in my world.
What Is Wrong with Canned Tomato Soup?
Here are typical ingredients of store bought canned tomato soup: tomato puree, wheat flour, sugar. “Somehow”, this combo in a can has never appealed to me as “lunch”.
How to Make Healthy Tomato Soup
Start by sauteing garlic and herbs in extra virgin olive oil. The rule is to have the pot hot and then warm oil in it. The best!
Add 2 minced garlic cloves, 1 tbsp dried oregano and 1 tbsp dried basil. Saute for 30 seconds stirring constantly to avoid burning.
Cooking spices first helps them to release their maximum flavor.
Add 2 x 28 oz each cans of low sodium diced tomatoes, tomato sauce or combine both.
Then add 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp salt and ground black pepper to taste. Simmer for 3 minutes or until hot or just warmed through.
In the meanwhile, make grilled cheese. That’s it! So easy, tasty and healthy!
What’s the Difference between Sauce and Diced Tomatoes?
- If you like chunky healthy tomato soup, use diced tomatoes.
- If you like more creamy soup, use 1 can of diced tomatoes + 1 can of tomato sauce.
- If you like very smooth tomato soup, use all tomato sauce.
I recommend to buy low sodium canned tomatoes and add salt to taste. You will consume less sodium this way.
Make grilled cheese with whole grain bread and it will be healthy. I simply pop a few slices of cheese sandwiched between 2 slices of organic sprouted bread on a panini press.
Remember, everyone has their own definition of “healthy” and “balance”.
More Quick Healthy Soup Recipes
- Sun dried tomato soup – 15 minute filling creamy soup when fresh tomatoes are in season.
- Healthy cauliflower soup – love buffalo wings? You will love this soup with a kick!
- Healthy pumpkin soup – another 15 minute winner for all canned pumpkin lovers!
- Browse all healthy soups and stew.
Healthy Tomato Soup
Healthy Tomato Soup with canned tomatoes and gooey grilled cheese for a 10 minute healthy dinner.
- Prep Time: 1 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 2 large or 4 small servings 1x
- Category: Soup and Stew
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: North American Ukrainian
- 2 x 28 oz cans diced tomatoes, low sodium
- 2 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp oregano, dried
- 1 tbsp basil, dried
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat medium pot on low-medium heat and swirl olive oil to coat. Add garlic, oregano and basil. Saute for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add canned diced tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper and let simmer for 3 minutes or until warmed through.
- In the meanwhile, make grilled cheese. Serve with hot soup. So easy, tasty and healthy!
Low sodium tomato sauce works great in place of diced tomatoes. You can also use half and half.
Any dried Italian herbs or seasoning is great!
Add more garlic and fresh basil at the end if you wish. This soup is super easy and forgiving!
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.