This One-Pot Taco Pasta with Pumpkin is packed with flavor and nutrition – with a combination of ground turkey, peas, sweetcorn, black beans, and pumpkin for a healthy, wholesome, mid-week dinner in under 30 minutes!
Good news is that if you are a pumpkin fan – you will appreciate hints of pumpkin in a cheesy pasta pot, and if you are not a pumpkin fan (like my kids) – you won’t taste it as much and can easily substitute it with a can of tomato sauce. But I suggest you try making this one pot taco pasta with pumpkin because its fiber, potassium and vitamin C content are so beneficial for our heart health, and you can barely taste it. Not to mention creaminess of the dish without too much cheese, and pumpkin + taco seasoning are a match made in heaven, don’t you agree?!
Plus, if you have leftover pumpkin you can enjoy this healthy pumpkin soup or cheesy pumpkin spinach quinoa. Unless you have more of a sweet tooth. In which case, how about this healthy pumpkin pie, pumpkin brownies, pumpkin muffins, or chocolate chip pumpkin bread?!
What else is healthy about this one pot pasta? First of all, I used 4 cups of chickpea pasta which is far more nutritious than plain white pasta stripped of everything. Brown rice, quinoa or whole wheat pasta would be all good choices. Secondly, I used only 1lb of ground turkey, and then “beefed up” our dinner with more plants – black beans, corn and avocado. And pumpkin, of course, it’s a very good plant. If you are vegetarian, substitute more beans for meat.
I hope you enjoy this true 30 minute one-pot meal. It marks our first collaboration with Alex in husband-wife video recipe production that I mentioned before. So far, so good – we are still talking. If you are looking for more healthy easy dinners, check out my 18 healthy one pot meals and healthy Instant Pot vegetarian meals.
How To Make One Pot Taco Pasta
More Healthy One-Pot Recipes
Or you can browse through my entire collection of one-pot meals, for more inspiration!
One Pot Taco Pasta with Pumpkin
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 lb ground turkey*
- 15 oz can black beans rinsed & drained
- 2 cups corn frozen
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 14 oz can pumpkin puree**
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 4 cups whole wheat or gluten free penne pasta uncooked
- 1 cup 4 oz sharp hard cheese, shredded
- 3 avocados diced
- 1/2 cup green onions chopped
- Preheat large heavy bottom pot or dutch oven on medium-high heat, add avocado oil, onion and garlic. Sauté for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add taco seasoning and ground turkey; sauté for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally and breaking turkey into pieces with spatula.
- Add beans, corn, diced tomatoes, pumpkin puree, water, salt and pepper; stir and bring to a boil.
- Add pasta, cover and cook on low for 10 minutes. Turn off heat, add avocado and stir; sprinkle with cheese and green onions, cover for a few minutes to let cheese melt. Serve hot.
Store: Refrigerate covered for up to 3 days. Freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- *Substitute with another can of beans for vegetarian version.
- **Substitute with a can of tomato sauce if not a fan of pumpkin.
Recipes and images are a copyright of ifoodreal.com. It is against the law to republish recipes anywhere including social media, print and all world wide web. Nutritional info is provided for informational purposes only and to the best knowledge.