Turkey Burger Recipe with 5 simple ingredients like ground turkey and zucchini. They are juicy, flavorful, healthy and will disappear as soon as they come off the stovetop or grill.
Serve turkey burgers traditionally on a bun with a side of Instant Pot corn on the cob or over a bed of lettuce salad or pictured arugula salad.
Table of Contents
- Why Is This the Best Turkey Burger Recipe?
- Are Turkey Burgers Healthy?
- Ingredients for Turkey Burgers
- How to Make Turkey Burgers
- Expert Tips
- What Keeps Turkey Burgers From Falling Apart?
- Can I Make Turkey Burger Recipe in Advance?
- More FAQs
- What Are Some Toppings Ideas?
- Serving Recommendations
- More Turkey Recipes to Try
- More Burger Recipes to Try
- Healthy Turkey Burger Recipe Recipe
Sumptuously moist, smack-your-lips and the best turkey burger recipe on the web!
Why Is This the Best Turkey Burger Recipe?
I just gave the classic burger an epic makeover. What’s better about my turkey burgers?
- Forget about all those unnecessary fillers! No egg, breadcrumbs or exotic sauces.
- Only 5 simple ingredients for a healthy turkey burger recipe!
- Juicy burgers thanks to my low fat secret ingredient – zucchini!
Are Turkey Burgers Healthy?
What makes a turkey burger healthy? Let’s compare ground beef to ground turkey.
- Calories: 500 vs. 87.
- Fat: 32 vs. 2 grams.
- Protein: 18 vs. 27 grams.
Turkey is packed with high protein to help build strong, healthy muscles. It gives you a boost with energizing iron and builds up your body with immune-strengthening zinc. Turkey is bursting with vitamin B12 to keep your nervous system, your body’s electrical wiring, working well.
Ingredients for Turkey Burgers
For the best turkey burger recipe you’ll find anywhere, you only need 5 simple ingredients!
- Ground turkey: It can be any fat %. I usually buy extra lean ground turkey but lean turkey will work as well.
- Grated zucchini: I recommend to use medium size holes on the grater. So squash doesn’t become a puree, neither appear in big shreds in turkey burger patties.
- 1 garlic clove: You can use 1-2 teaspoons garlic powder but fresh garlic is better, more flavor.
- Cumin: Adds a nice punch of flavor to otherwise bland turkey meat.
- Salt and pepper: For flavor and taste.
I tried to make turkey burger patty with oil instead of zucchini and it came out dry. So, it is key ingredient. And just simple seasonings, you don’t even need Worcestershire sauce here. Try these other healthy zucchini recipes!
How to Make Turkey Burgers
It’s extra fast and easy to make this turkey burger recipe! Plus, they make a quick dinner year round.
- Combine turkey and zucchini: Simply add ground turkey meat to a large mixing bowl and add grated zucchini. Yes! That’s my “secret ingredient”. It keeps the patties moist, flavorful, and zucchini is a superfood, loaded with nutritional benefits.
- Add flavor: Add one minced garlic clove, cumin, salt and pepper. That’s it! Mix well. Shape mixture into burger patties.
- Cook: You can pan fry, grill, or even bake your turkey burgers!
It’s important to remember low and slow when cooking your turkey burgers! Flip only once, so they not only retain their shape but their juices, too.
- Add oil to skillet to prevent sticking.
- Brown turkey burgers on both sides in a hot pan for 8-10 minutes, flipping only once halfway through cooking time.
Grilled turkey burgers not only look more appetizing, but darker grill marks also give more flavor to the meat.
- If grilling, freeze burgers for 10 minutes prior. Helps to hold their shape.
- Spray both grill and both sides of healthy turkey burgers with cooking spray.
- Make sure the temperature of your barbecue reaches 285 degrees F before placing your patties on the grill, so they won’t stick.
- Grill about 8 minutes for well done.
- Place turkey patties on lined baking sheet and bake in the oven at 375 F for 25-30 minutes.
- You will have to sear them on a hot pan for 2 minutes on each side, or possibly broil.
Serve with healthy broccoli salad and dinner’s ready!
Here are my top tips for the best turkey burger recipe!
- To grate zucchini use medium size grater holes. Not the large ones and not the ones that makes a complete mush. This way turkey burgers are right amount of juicy.
- Shape patties a bit wider than the bun since they shrink during cooking.
- Don’t use a panini press grill as it presses all the juices out of burgers. Indoor one sided grill, grill skillet, or skillet is fine.
- Flip burgers only once during cooking.
- Prepare all the toppings and hamburger buns before cooking the burgers.
What Keeps Turkey Burgers From Falling Apart?
I have never had this issue when making these turkey burgers.
If you are experiencing this though, remember to use the low and slow method for cooking your patty. Do not excessively flip them whether you are pan frying, grilling, or baking. Do not peek under them. Just flip once!
Use quality tools. Make sure your skillet is truly non-stick and grill grates are cleaned and well oiled. Use good, not worn out spatula to flip the burgers. Metal spatula for the grill and silicone spatula for the skillet work the best.
Can I Make Turkey Burger Recipe in Advance?
Yes, you can make this turkey burger recipe ahead of time and get dinner on the table even faster. I recommend to make a big batch and freeze them for days when you’re extra rushed or when unexpected company comes calling.
- Fridge: These turkey patties keep well overnight in the refrigerator.
- Freezer: Arrange raw turkey burgers on a parchment covered baking pan, freeze, then place in storage containers. Cooking from frozen using preferred method and adding 5 minutes cook time.
When the internal temperature reaches 165 F your burger is done. The best way to ensure doneness is to insert a meat thermometer in the center of the patty.
Make this turkey burger recipe. 🙂 Seriously, though, zucchini adds a lot of moisture to your healthy turkey burgers just like when you use it in baked goods such as healthy zucchini bread! Pan frying your burgers in oil will also help them retain moisture.
Any cheese with sharp flavor that melts well will taste good with turkey burgers. I like slices of havarti, smoked gouda, gruyere, swiss cheese or sharp cheddar.
To make turkey look more like ground beef add 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce. Its dark color not only will make turkey burgers look like beef burgers, but also taste will be closer to ground beef. You can also use soy sauce or liquid smoke instead.
What Are Some Toppings Ideas?
Let everyone build their own turkey burger or make it bun-less and add toppings to a bowl full of leafy greens like Mexican kale salad or spinach salad!
- Fresh greens like Boston or Bibb lettuce.
- Thickly sliced large size tomatoes.
- Fresh red onion rings.
- Dill pickle slices.
- Dijon mustard or regular mustard.
- Your favorite cheese.
- Hot sauce and ketchup.
For a restaurant worthy pub meal pair with air fryer sweet potato fries!
- Go Hawaiian with pineapple rings and serve tropical mango black bean salad on the side!
- Go Italian with tomato sauce, grilled peppers and Parmesan cheese.
- Go Mexican with guacamole and pico de gallo.
- Go Greek with tzatziki and feta cheese, serve with a side of balsamic grilled vegetables.
Serve with Mexican street corn salad or cauliflower potato salad for a party on your plate!
Whether you grill, pan fry or bake your turkey burgers, the pairings will remain the same. Here are some of my favorite side dishes:
- Picnic style salads like healthy potato salad or healthy macaroni salad.
- Bean salads like white bean salad.
- Veggie sides pair well such as grilled zucchini or roasted asparagus.
- Quinoa or low carb sides like avocado blueberry quinoa salad or Mexican cauliflower rice.
- Potluck favorites like Instant Pot baked beans.
More Turkey Recipes to Try
- Turkey sliders
- Turkey zucchini skillet
- Turkey and broccoli pasta
- Turkey pasta bake
- Turkey meatballs
- Turkey meatloaf
You might also love to browse these 45 ground turkey recipes!
More Burger Recipes to Try
Healthy Turkey Burger Recipe
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded zucchini about 1 medium
- 1 large garlic clove grated
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- In large mixing bowl, add ground turkey, zucchini, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. Using your hands, mix well.
- Form 6 large turkey burger patties about a size of a medium hand. Flatten them as burgers “jump up” while cooking. Use wet hands to help with stickiness issue. I usually form patties as I am waiting for skillet to get hot and as I go.
- Stovetop: Preheat medium ceramic non-stick skillet on low-medium heat. It’s important to cook turkey burgers low and slow so they get cooked through and do not fall apart (they won’t). Add about 1.5 tbsp of oil to the skillet and swirl around. Place 3 patties in the skillet and cook for 5 minutes per side, flipping once. Repeat with remaining oil and burgers.
- Grill:If grilling, freeze burgers for 10 minutes prior. Helps to hold their shape. Preheat grill on medium and spray with cooking spray. Spray turkey patties on both sides with cooking spray, place on a grill and cook for 6-8 minutes flipping once. Grills vary, so check your burger for doneness by inserting a food thermometer into the center of the patty. You are looking for 165 degrees = done.
- Serve hot and right away is the best. Burgers are the most juicy this way. Serve traditional way on a whole grain or thin multigrain bun with all the fixins. Or serve "naked" with mashed avocado (easy guacamole recipe) and store-bought salsa. Or on a bed of greens. Sky is the limit.
- Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days or freeze leftovers for up to 3 months.
- Freeze: Lay patties on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, freeze completely and then transfer to a large Ziploc bag. Cook from frozen following recipe’s instructions + 5 minutes.
- Zucchini: To grate zucchini use medium size grater holes. Not the large ones and not the ones that makes a complete mush. This way burgers are right amount juicy.
- Forming patties: Shape patties a bit wider than the bun since they shrink during cooking.
- Indoor grilling: Don’t use a panini press grill as it presses all the juices out of burgers. Indoor one sided grill or grill skillet is fine.
- Flipping: Flip burgers only once during cooking.
- Get ready: Prepare all the toppings and buns before cooking the burgers.
This is one of my go-to recipes! It’s also very versatile and takes on any flavor you add to it. I love adding some paprika, oregano, and chili powder for a Mexican flair, and pairing it with a homemade guacamole. I also like using steak seasoning blends with this burger, and I don’t even miss the beef!
I’m so happy to read this! Thanks for your positive feedback!
I loved them: tasty and so Easy to cook