Healthy Broccoli Salad Recipe
Heart healthy broccoli salad with yogurt, no mayo, without bacon, loaded with nuts and seeds, cranberries and super creamy dressing. So good!
It took me 18 years of living in Canada to love a broccoli salad. But don’t you kinda agree that deli and bottled dressing versions are less than even OK?! Not to mention my taste buds cringed from sugar. I just couldn’t take it.
Years went by without broccoli salad in my life because no one cooks me healthy food except me or Alex. But no sane person can imagine Alex whipping up a bowl of healthy broccoli salad, right?! Phew, good. We are on the same page.
But one day I created the best healthy broccoli salad recipe and rest is history. Pinky promise it’s good!
Is Your Broccoli Salad Healthy?
- Did you know 100 calories of steak contains 11 grams of protein and 100 calories of chopped raw broccoli has exactly 8 grams?! Gotcha.
- Did you know 1/2 cup of pumpkin seeds contains 24 grams of protein?
- No mayo or bacon. Tadah.
Tips for Best Broccoli Salad:
- Add a cup of cooked chicken. That’s how I serve it for a big crowd.
- Finely chop broccoli stems too because you paid for them and they are hell of a nutrition power house.
- Any nuts work. I chose pecans and pumpkin seeds.
- There is absolutely no need to dirty another bowl to make the dressing.
How to Make Healthy Broccoli Salad
- Chop broccoli and toast nuts and seeds in a pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, add broccoli, chopped pepper, toasted nuts and seeds, raising or dried cranberries, yogurt, onion flakes, apple cider vinegar, salt, a pinch of black pepper and red pepper flakes. And gently stir.
More Yummy Healthy Broccoli Recipes:
- Sauteed garlic broccoli with tomatoes for an easy side dish. If you love garlic!
- Healthy beef and broccoli – copycat Asian food made healthy at home.
- Ground turkey and broccoli pasta – one pot 30 minute dinner.
- Healthy broccoli cheese soup – chock full of vegetables no one will notice!
Healthy Broccoli Salad
No mayo or bacon cause heart healthy, easy and tasty broccoli salad is here. With cranberries, toasted nuts and seeds, and easy yogurt dressing.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: No Cook + Stove
- Cuisine: North American
- 1 lb broccoli, chopped
- 1 small bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries (unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup favourite nuts, chopped (I used pecans)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin or sunflower seeds
- 1 cup plain yogurt (2%+ fat)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp onion flakes or powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- In a large salad bowl, add broccoli, pepper, raisins, yogurt, vinegar, onion flakes, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Preheat large skillet on low-medium heat, add nuts and seeds; toast until browned a bit and fragrant, stirring frequently.
- Add to the bowl with other ingredients, stir and adjust peppers to taste if necessary.
Store: Refrigerate covered with plastic wrap for up to 2 days.
Double the recipe for a potluck. Add a cup of cooked chicken one time – you will be glad you did.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.