I’m sorry it took me 18 years of living in Canada to love a broccoli salad.
But don’t you kinda agree that deli and bottled dressing versions are less than even OK?! Not to mention our clean taste buds cringing from sugar. I just couldn’t take it. Years went by without broccoli salad in my life because no one cooks me healthy food except me or Alex. But no sane person can imagine Alex whipping up a bowl of healthy broccoli salad, right?! Phew, good. We are on the same page.
However, I have to say I make my sweet kale salad recipe sometimes. And if we are being honest here, when real life really happens, I buy store bought kit and mix 1/4 of the dressing with Greek yogurt and olive oil. Better than eating a pizza. Yes, I have come that far and I’m proud of it.
As you may know, we hosted family over Christmas. It is no joke to feed 9 people for 8 days, physically and financially. That’s when I bought a huge bag of broccoli at Costco dirt cheap. And once I got over the blast of the most nasty smell in my face (holly molly, what the heck?!) I whipped up the most delicious broccoli salad in the whole entire universe. My Russian sister-in-law was chomping it like a champ, and she can cook. You know, all Eastern Europeans can cook, right?! Don’t you have one as your neighbour or a church friend?!
One thing I have to say and promise me you will do that – add a cup of cooked chicken. That’s how I served it during the holidays because 9 people. You will be blown away!
How to Make Healthy Broccoli Salad
- Chop THE broccoli. Finely chop the stems too because a) you paid for them and b) they are hell of a nutrition power house. Did you know 100 calories of steak contains 11 grams of protein and 100 calories of chopped raw broccoli has exactly 8 grams?
- Roast THE nuts and seeds. I chose pecans and pumpkin seeds because they are my faves. Did you know 1/2 cup of pumpkin seeds contains 24 grams of protein?
- In a large mixing bowl, add broccoli, chopped pepper, toasted nuts and seeds, raising or dried cranberries, yogurt, onion flakes, apple cider vinegar, salt, a pinch of black pepper and red pepper flakes. There is absolutely no need to dirty another bowl to make the dressing.
- Stir and believe that you officially can make a delicious heart healthy broccoli salad with yogurt, and no mayo or bacon. And don’t forget to add cooked chicken one time. Pinky promise?!
Healthy Broccoli Salad
Healthy Broccoli Salad Recipe with raisins or cranberries, toasted nuts and seeds, and easy Greek yogurt dressing. No mayo or bacon cause heart healthy, easy and tasty broccoli salad is here.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1 lb broccoli, chopped
- 1 small bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries (unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup favourite nuts, chopped (I used pecans)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin or sunflower seeds
- 1 cup plain yogurt (2%+ fat)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp onion flakes or powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- In a large salad bowl, add broccoli, pepper, raisins, yogurt, vinegar, onion flakes, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Preheat large skillet on low-medium heat, add nuts and seeds; toast until browned a bit and fragrant, stirring frequently.
- Add to the bowl with other ingredients, stir and adjust peppers to taste if necessary.
Store: Refrigerate covered with plastic wrap for up to 2 days.
Double the recipe for a potluck. Add a cup of cooked chicken one time – you will be glad you did.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.