Once you try Instant Pot Corn on the Cob, you will never boil it on the stove again! Pressure cooker corn on the cob is juicy and takes 2 minutes!
Need more Instant Pot inspiration? Then collection of 30 healthy Instant Pot recipes is for you.
Pressure Cooker Corn on the Cob
Did you know Instant Pot corn on the cob takes 2 minutes? I was shocked.
Yes, I know pressure cooker takes time to build up pressure but it takes 5 minutes. And if you use boiling water, it’s probably 3 minutes. For a full guide on 15 other tips and tricks check out my Instant Pot guide. If you don’t have an Instant Pot yet but want one, stop wondering which Instant Pot to buy.
I grew up in Ukraine and “our” corn took 1-2 hours to cook. I know North American corn cooks faster but still… You have to wait for the pot to boil, then guess whether corn is ready, and babysit it until it’s ready. Not to mention that kitchen gets hot. Like it’s not hot enough already in July?!
From now on, pressure cooker corn on the cob is the way to go for me!
Is Corn GMO?
Today corn gets a bad rap because majority of corn in North America is GMO corn.
There are 142 GMO corn species in the US that is herbicide, insect and disease resistant. 90% of it goes into animal feed and the rest into production of high fructose corn syrup, alcohol, cornstarch and vinegar. That’s why I’m so vigilant buying these products non-GMO project verified or organic. So, that’s “field corn”.
Good news is that most “sweet corn” on the cob sold in stores is non-GMO. And that’s the corn on the cob we will make in Instant Pot today.
How to Pick Best Corn at the Store
- Look for corn that is wrapped tightly in its green husks.
- Silk should be soft, perky and moist. Not sticky, brown and going bad.
- Peel the husk a bit and choose corn with white or yellow kernels in tight rows that are plump.
How to Make Corn on the Cob in Instant Pot
Did you know we have entire Youtube channel dedicated to healthy Instant Pot recipes and tips? My goal is to help you become confident with your Instant Pot by demonstrating each delicious foolproof recipe in step-by-step videos.
Make sure to subscribe and hit the Bell icon not to miss new videos.
- Add 1 cup water and place trivet inside Instant Pot.
- Add as many ears of corn as your pressure cooker can fit. Mine is 8 quart and it fits 5 large ears. You can snap ears of corn in halves to fit in 6 and 3 quart models.
- Pressure Cook on High for 2 minutes. If it’s summer, set your Instant Pot outside to keep kitchen cool.
- Do Quick Release – turn vent to Venting right after 2 minutes is up.
- Keep corn warm all day in Instant Pot with Keep Warm feature as nobody likes cold corn.:)
What to Serve Corn on the Cob with?
The classic, simple and my favorite way to eat corn is with butter and salt. As you rub a slice of butter on a hot ear of corn watch it melt. If it is salted butter you don’t even have to sprinkle corn with salt.
To take Instant Pot corn to the next level squeeze with lime juice and sprinkle with cayenne or chili powder. You can sprinkle it with feta cheese as well. But that’s what Mexican street corn salad is for.
The only time I would cook and freeze corn on the cob is if I had free or cheap supply of it. Otherwise, there is organic frozen corn at Costco.:)
To freeze corn, cook in batches in Instant Pot and cool off. Holding onto the top, cut off kernels with a sharp knife and place in resealable plastic bags flat. I would shake and separate it a few hours later to make sure corn doesn’t freeze in a single blob. Or freeze whole in plastic bags.
Tip: Please be environmentally friendly – wash, dry and reuse plastic bags. They are not recyclable.
More Tasty Healthy Recipes with Corn
- Mexican street corn salad with creamy feta cheese and cilantro.
- Corn avocado salad – summer in a bowl.
- Chicken zucchini and corn – 20 minute skillet dinner.
- Browse all healthy Instant Pot recipes.
Instant Pot Corn on the Cob
It takes 2 minutes to make Corn on the Cob in a Pressure Cooker. Fine, 10 with pressure build up. So why would you do it any other way?
- Prep Time: 10 minutes (incl. building pressure )
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Total Time: 12 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: North American
- 1 cup water
- 4–8 ears of corn
- To the Instant Pot, add water and place trivet inside. Add as many ears of corn as can fit. Snap in halves if too long.
- Close the lid, set pressure vent to Sealing and press Pressure Cooking on High for 2 minutes (YES, that’s correct). If making this recipe in summer, set your pressure cooker outside to keep kitchen cool.
- When Instant Pot says Off or switches to Keep Warm mode, release the pressure by turning sealing valve to Venting position until the pin drops don.
- Open the lid and your corn on the cob is ready! Isn’t it amazing?! Serve with butter and salt. And my other favourite part – keep corn warm all day in Instant Pot with Keep Warm feature as nobody likes cold corn.:)
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.