This might not be a traditional stir fry but it’s delish! It’s my version of broccoli mushroom stir fry with tons and tons of green veggies and nuts. I was going to say it is vegetarian but I just realized it’s vegan. Even better for this healthy side dish!
I used all ingredients I usually have on hand – walnuts (I buy pieces because they are cheaper), frozen peas and broccoli. I don’t usually have portobello mushrooms on hand but this time I did. They are meaty and add a lot of flavour.
Even 6 months ago both of my boys wouldn’t go near mushrooms. Now, we eat them no problem because I just kept offering and wouldn’t give up.
This stir fry was delish! Crunchy, with satisfying umami flavour and filling. Have two skillets? Make healthy orange chicken to serve with this delicious stir fry and you will have leftovers perfect for healthy lunch ideas!
More Healthy Stir Fry Recipes to Try
- Cabbage stir fry
- Healthy chicken stir fry
- Healthy beef stir fry
- Chicken and broccoli stir fry
- Shrimp and vegetable stir fry
- All 30 minute meals.
Broccoli Mushroom Stir Fry
- 1 cup brown rice uncooked (I used long grain)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup walnuts coarsely chopped (I buy cheaper walnut pieces)
- 3 tbsp soy sauce divided (I used non-GMO liquid aminos)
- 1 1/2 tsp coconut oil divided*
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 large portobello mushrooms sliced
- 2 broccoli crowns including stems, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups peas frozen or fresh
- 1 tsp sesame oil optional
- 4 green onion sprigs chopped
- Add rice, water and salt to a small pot and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 30 minutes. Rice should be al dente. Or cook rice al dente your proven method (I use 1:1.5 ratio instead of recommended 1:2).
- In the meanwhile, preheat non-stick wok on low-medium heat, add walnuts and cook until golden brown, stirring frequently. In the last 30 seconds, stir in 1/2 tbsp soy sauce and transfer to a medium bowl and set aside.
- Return wok to low-medium heat, add 1/2 tsp coconut oil, onions and cook until translucent, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a bowl with walnuts.**
- Increase heat to high, add 1/2 tsp coconut oil, mushrooms and cook until golden brown, stirring frequently. In the last 30 seconds, stir in 1/2 tbsp soy sauce and transfer to the same bowl.
- Add remaining 1/2 tsp coconut oil, broccoli and cook for a few minutes until softer but not overcooked. Transfer all ingredients from a bowl to the wok with broccoli; fluff rice with a fork and add to the wok; add peas, sesame oil, 2 tbsp soy sauce and green onions. Stir gently, remove from heat and serve hot.
Store: Refrigerate covered in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- *Extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil would work too.
- **If someone in your family doesn’t like onions (like my 4 year old), transfer them to a separate bowl and add at the very end after scooping out some stir fry for the picky eater. Same with green onions.
Recipes and images are a copyright of ifoodreal.com. It is against the law to republish recipes without permission. Nutritional info is approximate.