Korean Ground Beef and Rice Bowls for an easy weeknight dinner or lazy Saturday.
Chock full of vegetables with twice less sodium and sugar, your kids will be going for seconds of this healthy 30 minute meal.
Korean Ground Beef Recipe
I am not sure how Korean are these Korean ground beef and rice bowls but all I know is that my family “inhales” them every-single-time!
All 3 of my boys, big and small, love my healthy Korean ground beef.
I pack it with vegetables. Use twice less sodium and replace brown sugar with half the amount of maple syrup. And serve over brown rice.
Healthy, budget friendly and cleans out the veggie drawers. Twice less sugar and sodium than traditional recipe. Sign-me-up.
Your busy weeknight needs this stir fry recipe. Even your lazy Saturdays will be happy with it. My family devoured this healthy version of traditional Asian dish.
It’s so simple to make and is super delicious and full of flavor.
I was at the end of my menus, and was looking to make something with pantry staples.
- Ground beef – I used 85% fat
- Firm veggies like zucchini, eggplant, cabbage, broccoli, onion, garlic and bell pepper
- Tomato (optional)
- Lots of green onions (a must)
- Asian flavors: soy sauce, maple syrup and rice vinegar.
You can also add cashews, water chestnuts, shredded carrots. Possibilities are endless!
How to Make Korean Ground Beef
I have been cooking with ground turkey and beef often lately. Take these Instant Pot quinoa bowls. It is an easy and cheap way to make healthy dinner fast. And kids always seem to like it. And it takes 30 minutes.
And because I love my Instant Pot so much, I share how to turn this Korean ground beef recipe into a one pot meal in your electric pressure cooker. Just keep on reading.
Cook Ground Beef with Spices
Before I start cooking Korean ground beef, I decide what I want to serve it with. Usually I make Instant Pot brown rice or Instant Pot quinoa. So, I start that first to make sure my beef can go on the table as soon as it’s ready.
You want to sear ground beef in a hot wok or large deep ceramic non-stick skillet on medium heat. Cook breaking into pieces and stirring constantly, for about 5-7 minutes. Drain fat if desired.
I have to say I used beef thawed in Instant Pot, so I cooked it less time. It is a miracle recipe!
Towards the end of browning ground beef, add onion, ginger and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove beef onto plate and return skillet to the stove.
Can You Make It with Chicken or Turkey?
Yes. You can use any ground meat you wish.
Saute Veggies Separately
You want to cook veggies separately from meat and in stages so they caramelize. First goes the bell pepper because its browned version is the most flavorful veggie ever.
Then zucchini and eggplant. We just need to soften them a bit and I find both of these veggies absorb sauce flavors so well. Like a sponge. And bulk up the dish which kids do not notice. Sneaky veggies basically.
Now is time to mix everything. Add sauce ingredients and previously cooked ground beef to the skillet. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
Add lots of green onions and make sure to save some for serving. That’s it!
Literally your next healthy 30 minute meal has arrived on your dinner table.
Now, how do we eat Korean ground beef?
A Bazillion Serving Ideas
Leftovers warm easily, which is great when you’ve got teenage midnight grazers.
- The first time I made it, I served it over brown rice. Second time with quinoa. Third time with brown rice noodles.
- Make it as an appetizer and serve on lettuce leaves as a wrap.
- Wrap Korean style ground beef in flour tortillas and add shredded cabbage and make “tacos”. Then garnish with red garlic chili sauce.
- For low carb dinner serve over cauliflower rice.
Make It as One Pot Meal in Instant Pot!
Are you obsessed with Instant Pot like me? I love my Instant Pot to death! It makes healthy meals for my family while I’m doing something else. And there is so much to do – always! Like read a book, have a glass of wine or go to the beach.
To make Korean ground beef in Instant Pot:
- On Instant Pot, press Saute and wait until display says Hot. Takes 3-5 mins. Add ground beef. Cook until no longer pink or for about 5 minutes, constantly breaking into small pieces and stirring. Remove onto a plate.
- Add a bit more oil and veggies. Saute for 3-4 minutes and remove onto a plate.
- Add 1 cup water and stir to deglaze the bottom of the pot to avoid Burn. Press Cancel.
- Now add ground beef and all ingredients except cooked veggies and green onions. Do not stir.
- Close the lid, turn pressure valve to sealing and press Pressure Cook on High for 22 minutes. For white rice, cook for 5 minutes on Low pressure with Natural release.
- Release pressure using Quick Release method – turn pressure valve to Venting.
- Add green onion, stir and serve warm.
More Healthy Asian Dinners
- Healthy beef stir fry
- Healthy chicken lettuce wraps
- Healthy chicken stir fry
- Instant Pot stir fry
- Healthy beef and broccoli
Korean Ground Beef and Rice Bowls
Korean Ground Beef and Rice Bowls for an easy weeknight dinner or lazy Saturday. Chock full of vegetables with twice less sodium and sugar, your kids will be going for seconds of this healthy 30 minute meal.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Asian
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1–2 inch fresh ginger, minced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 small eggplant, diced
- 4–5 tbsp soy sauce (I used Bragg’s liquid aminos)
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 4 green onion sprigs, finely chopped
- Cook rice as per package instructions. I usually make Instant Pot brown rice.
- While rice is cooking, preheat wok or large deep non-stick skillet on medium heat. Add ground beef and cook breaking into pieces and stirring constantly, for about 5-7 minutes. Drain fat if desired. I have to say I used beef thawed in Instant Pot, so I cooked it less time. It is a miracle recipe!
- Towards the end of browning ground beef, add onion, ginger and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove beef onto plate and return skillet to the stove.
- Swirl oil to coat, add bell pepper and saute for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add zucchini and eggplant; saute for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add soy sauce, rice vinegar, maple syrup, pepper and red pepper flakes. Stir and cook for 1 minute. Add cooked beef and stir.
- Turn off the heat and sprinkle with green onion; stir again.
- Fluff rice with a fork and serve Korean ground beef over it.
Store: Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Freeze for up to 3 months.
If you don’t have fresh garlic or ginger, use 1 tsp of ground garlic and 1/2 tsp ground ginger.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.