These Superfood Chocolate Bars are the answer to all your dark chocolate-loving dreams! They’re naturally sweetened and filled with healthy ingredients, but perfect for when the chocolate cravings hit!
I love to keep these in rotation with other chocolatey treats like cacao nibs brownie bites and coconut oil chocolate fudge!
Table of Contents
Did you know you can make dark chocolate at home?! All you have to do is combine equal parts of cacao powder, coconut oil and maple syrup on a stovetop and then freeze. That chocolate already is a step above store-bought organic dark chocolate, which is a step above Hershey’s and Cadbury.
But these superfood chocolate bars are sweetened only with dates, and full of superfoods like coconut oil, chia seeds, cacao powder, and coconut flakes!
I’m really embracing my chocolate cravings at the moment – but in a way healthier ways than I used to. I’m enjoying chocolate chia pudding for breakfast, healthy chocolate muffins as a snack, and black bean brownies or this healthy chocolate cake for dessert (not all on the same day, of course!)
I decided to see what happens if I use dates instead of maple syrup and it so worked! If you love dark chocolate and coconut oil, you will love this treat and healthy chocolate coconut balls too. And chia seeds make it so crunchy. Tastes almost like toffee dark chocolate bar.
How to Make Superfood Chocolate Bars
Just pulse the dates, coconut oil and cacao powder in a food processor or a powerful blender for a minute. Not more. You don’t want a paste.
Add coconut flakes, chia seeds and salt. Quick pulse. Pour into prepared baking dish and freeze for 30 minutes. Done.
At first Alex said too much coconut. Last night he ate 3 pieces and couldn’t stop. I eat 1 piece and am so full because of all those healthy fats.
These superfood chocolate bars keep so well in the fridge or freezer for a long time.
More Healthy Dessert Recipes
Superfood Chocolate Bars
- 3/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 3/4 cup cacao powder cocoa powder works too
- 13 Medjool dates pitted (not small regular dates)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Line 8″ x 8″ baking dish with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a food processor or powerful blender, add coconut oil, cacao powder and dates. Pulse for 30 seconds, scrape the sides of the bowl and process for another 30 seconds. The consistency might look chunky and a bit of oil separation is OK. Generally, you are looking for a jam with chunks texture here (pictured above).
- Add coconut flakes, chia seeds and salt, and pulse in short intervals just enough to combine. Transfer to a prepared baking dish, level with spatula (oil on top is fine) and freeze for 30 minutes. Remove chocolate bars holding by the parchment paper flaps onto a cutting board and cut into 16 squares.
These are so rich and delicious!!