I recently started drinking warm lemon water first thing in the morning.
I do not think lemon water recipe is a cure for everything, neither that it detoxes your body, nor that it helps to lose weight. Like what, you drank lemon water for a month and it cleaned up all of your organs from everything harmful?! Or you were eating candy but drinking lemon water and lost weight?! We are all grown ups.
So, while I don’t think lemon water is “a miracle pill”, I still think lemon water is pretty powerful (just like kombucha => making kombucha from scratch has never been easier or cheaper).
Health Benefits of Lemon Water
- Lemons contain a lot of vitamin C that boosts your immune system. Chances are you wouldn’t eat half a lemon on its own each day, so adding some water is a great alternative.
- Lemon water also helps your digestion, flushes out toxins and cleanses the liver.
- It helps reduce the pain in your knees and joints.
Overall, it’s so good for you and you can read more about all benefits here. To reap the most benefits you have to drink lemon water first thing in the morning and it has to be warm.
How to Make Lemon Water
- Squeeze lemon juice into a glass. I use similar to this lemon reamer, it’s affordable, easy to clean and virtually indestructible. This lemon juicer also looks good and might be better than mine because it catches the seeds.
- Add warm water. To make water warm, I mix boiling water with cold filtered water. Another option is to turn off kettle before water reaches boiling (you just have to wait by the kettle).
How to Make Lemon Water
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup cold water*
- 1/3 cup boiling water*
- In a glass, squeeze lemon juice with lemon reamer; discard seeds if necessary. This lemon juicer also looks good and might be better than mine because it catches the seeds.
- Add water, stir and drink while warm.
*To make water warm, I usually mix boiling water from the kettle (I hope you have one?!) and fridge filtered water. Another option is to turn off kettle before water reaches boiling. You just have to wait by the kettle and turn it off on time.
How to Prevent Teeth Enamel Damage
A reader brought to my attention that lemon water (like limes, grapefruits and apple cider water) can damage your teeth enamel with time. Dr. Sara Solomon gives us 5 tips to prevent teeth damage without giving up our morning ritual:
- Dilute lemon juice in 8 oz of water – I would do 1/2 cup + 3 tbsp boiling water + rest cold water.
- Drink lemon water with a straw.
- Rinse your mouth right after drinking lemon water.
- Avoid brushing teeth for 60 minutes after.
- Use soft toothbrush and avoid aggressive brushing.