Warning: This is very basic green smoothie recipe for beginners. Are you in?
Over the years, I tried to make my green smoothie as healthy as possible. Never following a recipe. Often adding trending ingredients like chia seeds and turmeric.
What I ended up with was “a surprise smoothie”. Too bitter, too sour or too sweet. Kids wouldn’t drink it and my husband couldn’t make it because “only I knew the recipe”. Well, even I didn’t know that green smoothie recipe.
Finally, I decided to act like a responsible parent and create yummy green smoothie everyone will drink. The one that tastes good! That IS THE BEST green smoothie recipe, my friends!
Green Smoothie Ingredients:
What to put in a green smoothie? This delicious easy vegetable smoothie contains 6 cups of leafy greens and is made with 4 simple ingredients:
Is Green Smoothie Healthy?
Let’s go over the health benefits of green smoothies.
- Weight loss: Green smoothie does help with a weight loss. If you drink it on a regular basis. Fiber from fruits and vegetables keeps your belly full longer. Plus it is low calorie – less than 100 calories.
- Detox: from the mix of chlorophyll contained in the greens. Plus the high level of fiber to keep things moving. In the bathroom I mean.
- Energy: Leafy greens and fruit contain many nutrients, vitamins and naturally occuring sugars that feed your body cells with energy.
- Fruits and Vegetables: Because smoothies are so easy to make, they make you eat more fruits and vegetables you wouldn’t have eaten otherwise.
How to Make a Green Smoothie
1. Add Ingredients to a Blender
In a powerful blender, add ingredients in exact order (don’t change):
Why don’t mess with the order of ingredients?
An order of liquid -> frozen fruit -> light greens ensures ingredients will spin inside the blender. Otherwise blender will cavitate. Heavy frozen fruit should get blended with liquids first.
Green Smoothie Substitutions and Additions
- Water: Instead of water you can use coconut water, almond milk or other milk.
- Mango: Frozen pineapple makes tasty green smoothie too. Just less sweet. We often use add it if we run out of frozen mango. Can I add frozen banana? I find banana bloats me up in a green smoothie particularly. There is already kale that is high in fiber and adds to a puffy belly. Plus taste wise, I prefer mango to banana particularly in a green smoothie. However, I absolutely love bananas on their own.
- Spinach: Spinach is a sweet leafy green with mild taste. I would replace it with anything. And there is a reason for its measured amount. One thing – you can use frozen spinach.
- Kale: Any type of kale works. Dinosaur a.k.a lacinato, green, purple etc. Just remove the bitter rib cage. And always add more spinach than kale.
- Protein powder – just a small scoop for a lean green smoothie. Not to make it too thick.
- Ground flaxseed
- Peanut butter
- Almond butter
- Ripe bananas
- Greek yogurt
- Green matcha powder
- Press “smoothie” button or blend until smooth.
- I like to blend more after the “smoothie” cycle for a super smooth smoothie.
- If your blender isn’t powerful enough, just pause, stir and blend more.
What I love about this smoothie is that it doesn’t separate much and tastes delicious even the next day.
If you have leftovers, you can refrigerate in glasses or a blender jug for up to 24 hours. If refrigerated in a jug, I give it another quick blend before serving. Easy-peasy.
More Healthy Smoothie Recipes to Try
- Healthy strawberry smoothie – 4 ingredient after school snack your kids can make themselves.
- Raspberry smoothie recipe with frozen berries for any time of the year.
- Blueberry breakfast smoothie with a protein boost.
- Anti-inflammatory red smoothie – when was the last time you ate raw beets that tasted good?!
Major Tip for The Best Green Smoothie:
Freeze fresh spinach.
Like this is the most genius hack out of all! I came up wit hit on my own one day standing at Costco while thinking “Damn, I wish I could buy 3 boxes of cheap organic baby spinach! If it only didn’t spoil fast…”. Freeze! Just freeze it.
Watch Olena Make Green Smoothie:
And don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube Channel for weekly cooking videos!Print
Green Smoothie Recipe
Best Green Smoothie with only 3 ingredients that your kids will actually drink and it tastes good the next day.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Drink
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: North American
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups mango, frozen
- 4 cups spinach
- 2 cups kale, coarsely chopped
- In a powerful blender, add ingredients in the order listed above (don’t change): water, mango, spinach and kale. Press “smoothie” button or blend until smooth. I like to blend more after “smoothie” cycle for a super smooth smoothie. If your blender isn’t powerful enough, just pause, stir and blend more.
- Enjoy! What I love about this smoothie is that it doesn’t separate much and tastes delicious even the next day.
Store: Refrigerate in glasses or blender’s jug for up to 24 hours. If refrigerated in a jug, I give green smoothie another quick blend. Easy-peasy.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.