Brown rice pasta, corn, tomatoes, avocado and Greek yogurt dressing make this pasta salad healthy, creamy & delicious. You won’t miss the mayo, trust me!
Summer is here, hence the recipe’s name, and I still don’t understand when did it happen. Did you?! It means BBQ, swimming and fresh produce. Over the next few months I will be posting many summer recipes for the grill and salads. I already have a few tested out by my peeps and can’t wait to add them to your Clean Eating menu. They are so simple, fresh and delicious! I’m super excited because it’s truly my first year of summer food blogging. Make sure not to miss any recipes – sign up to get recipes in your email or follow me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook and Bloglovin.
I haven’t had pasta salad for ages but that is officially over. Creamy pasta salad without adding mayo is possible! Usually pairing Greek yogurt with a little bit of cider vinegar, salt and pepper makes a delicious, healthy and creamy salad dressing. I used it for making this Shrimp Salad. But for this pasta salad I just used plain Greek yogurt. I found an abundance of avocado, grape tomatoes and corn was enough to make this salad delicious and creamy, even the next day.
Don’t get me wrong, an occasional tablespoon or two of organic mayo is totally fine. The only problem is a few tablespoons won’t make a pasta salad creamy. As a kid I was raised on mayo dressed salads in abundance. It’s a staple in Ukrainian/Russian cooking up until this day. I’m not a fan, for obvious reasons. Organic Greek yogurt it is then.
This pasta salad is extremely easy. You even don’t have to whisk the dressing in a separate bowl. I highly recommend to use small shape brown rice pasta which is affordable and widely available. I’m not following a gluten free diet but using this pasta made the salad lighter. Brown rice pasta feels like eating brown rice without eating pasta.:) Cook pasta al dente – firm to the touch and holding its shape. Whole wheat pasta would work too.
We had this pasta salad with grilled chicken on the patio the other night. Boys loved it and asked for seconds. This pasta goes really well with anything – steak, fish, poultry. Highly versatile and a great summer BBQ food. Enjoy!
- 1 + 1/2 cup brown rice (whole wheat) any small shape pasta, dry
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup corn, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup 0% Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 large green onion sprig, chopped
- 1 tsp salt + a pinch
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Cook pasta as per package instructions with a pinch of salt. Pasta should be al dente and I always undercook it by a few minutes. My brown rice pasta took 7 minutes and then I drained it and rinsed with cold water. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients to the bowl and gently mix. Adjust salt to taste. No need to whisk the Greek yogurt dressing in a separate bowl. I also added minced clove of garlic one time. Serve cold.
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving = 1 cup:
Total Fat: 4.8 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 404.4 mg
Total Carbs: 30.4 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.2 g
Protein: 5.5 g
WW Points+: 5